General Skepticism
 Smiling
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stygma

36 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2002 :  09:41:51  Show Profile Send Stygma a Private Message
I was wondering about this a while ago, and it popped back into my head.
I'm curious--when a human encounters pleasure, or something favorable, they smile. Is that a built-in reaction? Or is it just a simple positive conditioning from day 1? For example, some trained monkeys will smile when they do something right. I think this is conditioned; I doubt they smile at each other in the wild. But for humans, is it the same way?

Always remember that you're unique--just like everyone else.

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2002 :  09:56:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
As far as I know, smiling is instinctual (babies begin to do it shortly after birth, and probably before they can see their mother's smile very well).

It's also universal - a smile means the same thing in every human culture. This isn't true of more complicated comminucation (gestures and, of course, language).

So it would seem that smiling is wired right into our genes.

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2002 :  11:57:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
It is kind of curious though. Among most animals, baring one's teeth is a clear threat. If a baboon appears to smile, you had best back away. And we all know that when a dog bares it's teeth, it means business. I wonder how it is that amongst humans, a big toothy grin came to be a positive signal.

Edited by - espritch on 02/16/2002 11:57:46
Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2002 :  13:09:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
Esperich: What I have read is that it is a way of saying "I could hurt you but I won't"

Odd though, I hardly ever bear my teeth when I smile. But then again, I am rather poker faced.

Thought constitutes the greatness of man -Pascal
Go to Top of Page

Archistrategos

28 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2002 :  14:04:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Archistrategos a Private Message
Xev, don't try to hide it, I know you loved the thought.

Go to Top of Page

Badger
Skeptic Friend

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2002 :  14:44:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Badger a Private Message
In one of Desmond Morris' books, he indicates that smiling is indeed a variation of the bearing of teeth when threatened. And laughing is a variant of crying. Both are in response to something unexpected (ie. laughing at the punchline of a joke, as the juxtaposition of ideas in a joke is what leads to humour)

If you think of smiling in babies, the baby feels threatend or uncomfortable therefore "bears its teeth", and then gets positive reinforcement for "smiling", or gets is discomfort tended to.

Amongst people who "make you happy", you smile to indicate that they are dominant to you and so you bear your teeth, though don't really mean to harm them. Merely indicate that you are subservient to them (ie. you'll do a good turn for a friend).

I smile, but sometimes it IS because I'm going to bite.

Just because we're hypnotized, that don't mean we can't dance. - Tonio K.
Go to Top of Page

Megan
Skeptic Friend

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  09:22:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Megan a Private Message
quote:
I'm curious--when a human encounters pleasure, or something favorable, they smile. Is that a built-in reaction? Or is it just a simple positive conditioning from day 1?

I would have to say that it would be a mix of both. But dont ask me why, for I have no idea.

~Megan~

"Dancers are the athletes of God." -Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.