New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  06:23:47  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
When trying to discuss religion online I have frequently encountered people who believe that the KJV is somehow superior to other translations. I did not think much of it at first, many people in many countries prefer the odd language of older translations to the mundane sounding modern translations.

But then I met people who were somehow convinced that the KJV somehow had precedence over the source material it was translated from. Claiming that the KJV is correceter then anything written in latin greek or hebrew could ever be when I tried to point out errors.

Is this just a small but loud minority or is this view really common among christians in the US? And why do they belive in it?

Maybe some of you can help me understand this curiosity.

bonilloa

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  15:18:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bonilloa a Private Message
I can tell you that my experience has been the same. Some Christians believe that KJV is more correct than other translations.

I think the reason is related to the fact that the different translations differ significantly in meaning, from time to time. As such, the more committed one is to the proposition that the Bible is the true word of God, the more that person must psychologically cover one's bases by choosing one solid rock upon which to rest their belief: the solid rock of picking one translation as the most correct.

Most choose KJV, I imagine, because of its widespread use. Were the New American Standard Bible used more often, more people would cite it as the true translation, for example.

(Some argue that NASB is closer to the originals than KJV is. That presupposes that we had originals with which to compare it, of course. Read a book by Metzger called "The Text of the New Testament: Its corruption, transmission and restoration" (or close to that title). It's a real eye-opener, in that it shows the different manuscripts that we have and how significantly they vary among themselves.)

-Tony
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  17:06:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
It's probably as simple as the fact that it's "flowery" language makes it seem more special. Who knows?

And welcome, bonilloa!

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

bonilloa

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  20:34:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bonilloa a Private Message
quote:

It's probably as simple as the fact that it's "flowery" language makes it seem more special. Who knows?

And welcome, bonilloa!

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito

I remember hearing someone defend the KJV by saying something like, "If the KJV was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!"
(Probably apocryphal but funny.)

Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  23:35:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
I now have more info on the problem that orignially made me ask the qeustion.

Apperantly some people read a psalm of the OT in such a way as go promising to preserve the Bible. Somehow from this already cotroversial interpretation they make a jump to the conclusion that the way that God is preserving the Bible is the KJV.

The worst thing is, that they have been told that so often that it makes sense to them.

Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  10:22:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
I know a couple of people in London who assure me, "on the best of authority," that God is an Englishman.

And if you ask this lad from County Cork that would explain a lot about the state the world is in.

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

chee

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  10:39:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chee an AOL message Send chee a Private Message
Can't add much to this except to say that the further back one goes in comparing the texts in use today with the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic texts in existence, the more one wonders just how in hell we got what we have now. It's like looking a scripted version of the old telephone game.

A colder place I've never known, than with someone but yet alone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.