Religion in video games
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  13:22:59  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
A few weeks ago I finnished Final Fantasy X, the latest in a series of excellent games that include beautiful animation and a good story at it's center.

*Warning, spoilers for anyone interested in playing the game*

I read somwhere once that pretty much every one of these games ended with the characters battling 'god', or someone trying to become god. I'm not sure if that is true, but this one seemed to have a very strong anti-organized religion message.

It starts off with the main character being plucked out of his city and plopped down in the middle of some ruins. Early clues hint that he was taken 1,000 year into the future. Large cities are very rare now due to a huge monster known as Sin. You end up getting involved with Yunna, who is following the path of special preists in the church of Yeven, who can summon creatures to try and fight Sin. Sin is occationaly defeated and goes away for a number of years, but no one has yet destroyed it for good.

The church of Yeven has outlawed the use of technology, it is blamed in part for bringing Sin down uppon the people. One race, the Al Behd, does not follow Yeven and often make use of any technology they find. So they are often mistrusted and considered outcasts. At one point forces sent by the #2 guy in the church are sent to destroy athe Al Behd's secret homeland.

Hmm... anit-science/technology, intollerance, attempted genociede... But wait, it get's better.

Yunna is captured and forced into a wedding with the #2 church guy. In the attack the church guardians use machine guns, flame throwers, and attack robots! So they are hypocritical of their own teachings. During a 'trial' of Yunna you see about 2/3 of the church leadership is pretty much corrupt.

The characters of course get away and continue to follow the quest to destroy Sin. When they get to the final temple, to gain the Final Summoning, they found out the entire quest is based on lies. Sin is simply the outter shell of Yu-Yeven. Sure, if they do the final summoning one of the people will gain the power to destroy Sin, and then Yu-Yeven will posess them and turn them into the new Sin. It is an unending cycle, the church knows that and does nothing to break the cycle. They think it is best to keep their position and keep people happy with the false hope of defeating Sin. Needless to say, the characters blow this off and go and defeat Sin anyway, and destroy Yu-Yeven.

Ok, now on top of anti-science, intollerance, and attempted genociede, we also get hypocracy, corruption, and faith built on lies and false hopes, used to keep the people content. Gee, you would almost think the game designers were aithiests! :)

However, the series does tend to have some kid of spirituality as part of the story too. Like the 'Gaea' idea from the FF movie.

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  13:37:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
You suppose the Japanese origins of these games have anything to do with the blasphemic themes?

Laws of Thermodynamics:
1. You cannot win.
2. You cannot break even.
3. You cannot stop playing the game.
Go to Top of Page

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  14:08:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
Naaa...

Japan is a pretty spiritual country. Shinto is best described as Disoranized Religion. People there have no problem putting a christian cross next to a Buhdda and other symbols. Temples and shrines for all kinds of things, mysticism and fortuntelling are not uncommon. From their games an anime magic, spirituality, and psychics are often displayed. Just saw earlier today there is some scientific study going on in Japan trying discover the nature of Chi (ki).

Go to Top of Page

Archistrategos

28 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  15:42:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Archistrategos a Private Message
Hey Marc_a_b, if you belive this game have some anti religious teme, and church conspyracy, you should play FF tactics, that story is truly blasfemus, I like it!

quote:
I read somwhere once that pretty much everyone of these games ended with the characters battling 'god', or someone trying to become god.

Yes it its true, most of them end with some one looking fore the destruction of existence, time and space or becoming a god by destroying everything else. They are pretty ambitious guys.

Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  18:50:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
I think the Japanese origin of FF matters very much in this case.

Japanese take their own religions and superstitions as serious as we westerners do, just in a different way. They tend to treat foreign religions the same way that the treat their own. And concepts like Blasphemy don't really fit very well into this.

There is also the problem that japanese games/Manga/Anime tend to be a lot deeper then comperable western products. A simple shoot-em-up game can incorporate deep philosophical problems in its backstory. You will find a number of anti-clerical works but if you look for them you will also find a number of works that take the opposite point of view.

Then there is that habit of japanes to incorporate names, designs or ideas with total disregard of their original context into their popculture. You sometimes get very strange combinations this way.

Like the reincarnation of Jean de'Arc as a magical thief on a mission from god with a love interest named Sindbad and a fightingstyle based on rhythmic gymnastics.

For a really blasphemous Japanese work watch the Anime 'Neon Genesis Evangelion'. References to Christian and Cabbalistic mythology abound. Just don't expect to understand what is going on at the end.

Edited by - Lars_H on 02/14/2002 19:10:12
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  21:30:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Then there is that habit of japanes to incorporate names, designs or ideas with total disregard of their original context into their popculture. You sometimes get very strange combinations this way.

Like the reincarnation of Jean de'Arc as a magical thief on a mission from god with a love interest named Sindbad and a fightingstyle based on rhythmic gymnastics.

What you describe is similar to other Asian cultures too.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'concepts like Blasphemy don't really fit very well into this'. I do have a good friend who lives in Japan and once when I tried to talk about religion with him he was evasive, to this day I don't know what he believes. It could have been a language 'problem', his English is not the best but I find they also are quiet people, don't like to be as open as many Americans are. But that's a typical Asian trait.
quote:

People there have no problem putting a christian cross next to a Buhdda and other symbols. Temples and shrines for all kinds of things, mysticism and fortuntelling are not uncommon.
Marc_a_b

That's also found in many other Asian places too. I can't speak for other religions but as a Buddhist I can say, we are more tolerant of other beliefs, maybe because there is no Buddhist god but I also think more Buddhists practice what they preach unlike Christians.
As far as games, I wanted to get Myst but has a feeling that it had some 'message'. Only talked to one person who ever played it, they said it didn't. I still don't know and have never played it yet.

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  21:55:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Snake, Myst was pretty good. No message I could see. Then again, I'm pretty shallow, so it takes a brick upside the head to get my attention.
Anyway, Myst has some great images, but I hope you have a fast computer. I haven't played it in years, but on my old (oldoldold) computer, it took forever to download the images.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  00:48:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Snake, Myst was pretty good. No message I could see. Then again, I'm pretty shallow, so it takes a brick upside the head to get my attention.
Anyway, Myst has some great images, but I hope you have a fast computer. I haven't played it in years, but on my old (oldoldold) computer, it took forever to download the images.
Lisa

Yea, I'm kind of dense sometimes too, all depends on the time of day I guess, haha. Seriously, it's a matter of being exposed to certain information if we can relate. Some things we know some we don't.
Sometimes I'm too skeptial and worried if I start to play a game or whatever I'll be brainwashed. Yikes!
My computer is old by computer standards, I think almost 4 years, well it seems like it anyway. I don't know if it's fast or not, I like it. My sons is about a year or two newer, if he'll talk to me, I'll ask him what's with the computer.
The last game I played on a computer, I think this one, was 7th Guest and it's sequal, 11th....something or other, can't remember the name.
I'll check into Myst but it's old now so we'll see if I can still get it, even if I'd have time to play.
Speaking of games......Holly shit! I just saw a new commerical on TV tonight for 'The Simpsons' for Playstation. How cool is that. So I call my son right away and screem , GUESS WHAT?! He proceeds to tell me, there have been many Simpson games. Where the hell was I and how come no one told me????

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.