Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dr Shari
Skeptic Friend

135 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  23:10:32  Show Profile Send Dr Shari a Private Message
MCS is a debated subject in the medical community. These people claim that they are allergic to just about everything. Perfumes, soaps, chemicals in the air and in their house. They have episodes of shortness of breath, faint in public claiming to have had an allergic reaction to some unknown substance in the air. They claim that since WWII when this syndrome first showed up that our bodies are in a state of rebellion against pollutants.

I agree in theory there is some logic to this argument but then these same people also fit the diagnosis of boarderline personality disorder, often have emotional problems, are usually women, often overweight, have no measurable blood tests or even the midst of their breathing distress have their blood O2 saturation level within normal imits. Add to that they file a large number of lawsuits.

Of course they have reasons for all these behaviors. They sue us because we cannot find the cause of their ilness, you too would have emotional problems if you had a disease no one could diagnose, women are more suseptible to pollutants and by the time they get to the hospital or office they are breathing better.

They go special clinics where they do tests I would have to search through books to find even after years of practicing medicine and do not have a normal range listed. They give these people large doses of IV vitamin C to prevent the episode from progessing. These clinics test if you are allergic to a substance by having you close your eyes and giving you a vial with the substance in it then pull down on your arm and if you show any weakness by their standard then you are allergic to it and for thousands of dollars they will sell you small amounts of this substance to inject into your body untill you build up a resistance to it.

Another favorite is to decontaminate you from electromagnetic build-ups by having someone run their hands over your body to remove the excess.

I have had patients with severe enviormental allergies but this goes just a bit too far for me yet they do seem to be suffering and I would really hate to leave a patient in distress. They are resistent to psychological testing and therepy and when one patient did agree the patient was so fussy the psychiatric hospital refused to admit her.

I have studied this extensively to try and help one person in particular and have not come to a difinitive answer one way or the other.

Does anyone one here believe that a person can become allergic to the world? If the answer is yes how do you explain the other proven facts such as their being mostly women who have emotional problems with a strong desire to sue the doctors who can not help them?

I just want ot give people the best life they can have but every medication I try they tell me they are allergic to unless it is something like morphine.
I am confused despite reading all the available research so if anyone has ever had this and found an answer let me know so I can get this lady either some medical or psychiatric help.

Death: The High Cost of Living
It is easier to get forgiveness then to get permission!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  23:33:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
I just want ot give people the best life they can have but every medication I try they tell me they are allergic to unless it is something like morphine.
I am confused despite reading all the available research so if anyone has ever had this and found an answer let me know so I can get this lady either some medical or psychiatric help.

Have you tried a placebo?

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  01:08:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Does anyone one here believe that a person can become allergic to the world

Not having any formal medical training I can not give an informed opinion only a 1st reaction. Which is no, I don't think in reality people can be allergic like that. The key word being allergic. Did you see the John Stossal(sp.) special on ABC about that very subject? I usually always agree with his point of view. And that was a good show.
I myself am extra sensitive to many things and am awear of it, that however doesn't mean it's an allergy. I notice when I go in a room and cough more then in a less dusty area when others don't seen to be bothered. When I'm in my ceramics class where BTW we are supposed to wear a mask to mix the chemical, some of which are highly dangerous, I am continually coughing. Well DUH! Clay dust, fine particals of powdered glazes, air brush spraying, what do you want? I don't blame the world!
It could be that these people who seem to be sick because of various enviornmental conditions should use precautions for themselves when they go somewhere, be aware of where they are and avoid contact but I don't think it's a disease. It's just that some people are more sensitive then others. Like having a high or low tolerance for pain. Perhaps unfortunate for the individual but not something others should have to change their lives for.
On the other hand..... I personaly did have a real problem that was not taken care of in a timely manner until years later when one doctor did confirm my condition(not related to this subject). It was my RN sister who kept telling me to find a doctor who would treat me. So who knows, not every doctor has the same expertieese or understanding.
Perhaps there is an answer one way or the other down the line to the pollutant problem that has not yet been discovered. It seems that more people would have it if it was real but then there are rare disease that only few have.

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  06:20:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
I wonder whether this condition became more widespread after the TV series "Northern Exposure" featured an ongoing character with MCS. (Ironically, the same actor now plays a trauma doctor on ER!)

I have a friend (a fellow skeptic but not a physician) who calls this (and similar conditions) diseases of affluence. You'd never see them if you were practicing in a third world country where people are struggling to survive at best, and dealing with real diseases at worst. They only exist here because some people in this country are rich enough, and self-absorbed enough, to have the luxury of convincing themselves they're sick when there's nothing wrong with them. Drop them off in a war zone and see how quick they'd lose their symptoms!

MCS is, in my opinion, a psychological disorder, not a physiological one. What your patients really need is attention and something useful to do with their lives.

But then, I'm not a doctor, I just play one on SFN!

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  07:24:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I think that if I were a doctor, I'd study allergies. It must be a fascinating field.

Years ago, I knew a man that claimed to be allergic to sunlight. And he often had a rash on his hands and arms. Mostly, he went around with long sleeves and always wore a wide-brimed hat.

I myself have the misfortune to be very sensitive to horse serum, as used in antivenins.

f

"They will take away my Darwin Fish only when they pry it from my cold, dead bumper!"
Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  11:54:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
Sorry Dr.Shari, I can't offer much but moral support. I'll ask around though.

It sounds utterly suspicious, and I would bet money that this is a way of getting attention and, less importantly, money. Not that I think this is a conscious deception, but it sounds fishy.

Good luck to you! Kil suggested a placebo, it might be worth a try. Counseling too.

Xev -Ad astra!- Bellringer
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  12:52:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I wonder whether this condition became more widespread after the TV series "Northern Exposure" featured an ongoing character with MCS. (Ironically, the same actor now plays a trauma doctor on ER!)
I have a friend (a fellow skeptic but not a physician) who calls this (and similar conditions) diseases of affluence. You'd never see them if you were practicing in a third world country where people are struggling to survive at best, and dealing with real diseases at worst. They only exist here because some people in this country are rich enough, and self-absorbed enough, to have the luxury of convincing themselves they're sick when there's nothing wrong with them. Drop them off in a war zone and see how quick they'd lose their symptoms!

MCS is, in my opinion, a psychological disorder, not a physiological one. What your patients really need is attention and something useful to do with their lives.
But then, I'm not a doctor, I just play one on SFN!
-- Donnie B.

I never saw "Northern Exposure" nor do I watch medical shows but I hate to say this I do think some people are influenced by things like that. On the other hand even though it's only TV there is some basis for the story lines and some people might be helped by thinking they have something, go to their doctor and really do find it helped.
I do think Donnie that's a little harsh to say people in 3rd world countries wouldn't get sick like that and only the rich in countries that are well off do.

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  12:57:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Good luck to you! Kil suggested a placebo, it might be worth a try. Counseling too.

Good ideas however seems to me that people who 'think' they are ill are reluctant to hear it's in their mind.

Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  14:17:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Shari, are you saying that there is a connection between allergies and the ability to fit in with the group? Surely we all noticed that the "Cool Kids" in our schools never had allergies or asthma. (Think "nerd" and the picture that comes to mind is bad skin and an inhaler)
The Darwinian question would be which is the cause of which? Does being popular (extreemly important to evolution and not just an empty desire of teenagers) keep you from developing these defects while lack of social acceptance causes them to kick in? Or does having the defect affect not only your health but also your personality?

Are allergies causes or effects?

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  14:30:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Hopefully you're kidding and I'm too slow to catch it.

quote:

Surely we all noticed that the "Cool Kids" in our schools never had allergies or asthma.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  17:38:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

Let me guess... he was played by Noah Wylie?

quote:
Surely we all noticed that the "Cool Kids" in our schools never had allergies or asthma. (Think "nerd" and the picture that comes to mind is bad skin and an inhaler)

Hey, hey! Watch it. When I was in school I didn't need no inhaler. And I considered the name of "nerd" to be a compliment, thnak you very much.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your common sense." -Buddha
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  17:51:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
quote:

Hopefully you're kidding and I'm too slow to catch it.

No I'm not kidding. Allergies & asthma seem to be attached to "personality types" at least in the young. And it would seem, with the people Dr Shari is talking about.
That leaves us with 1) coincidence, 2) the personalities promote the allergy, 3) the allergies promote the personality, 4) the personality and the allergy both stem from the same cause, or 5) Shari & I have both been mistaken in our observations.

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  19:10:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I'll have to defer to your greater knowledge on this point, I don't know. Was it that certain personalities had those problems, or was it that certain personalities were more obvious about having those problems, or even that those problems didn't seem obvious to others who had certain personalities?

quote:

No I'm not kidding. Allergies & asthma seem to be attached to "personality types" at least in the young.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  19:36:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
Dunno, while none of the cool kids had allergies, but this nerd never had any. In fact, I've been more or less healthy all my life.

Then again, I'm probably the only nerd who got into fist-fights.

Edited by - Xev on 02/10/2002 19:38:29
Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  19:50:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
quote:
quote:
Anthony Edwards
quote:
Surely we all noticed that the "Cool Kids" in our schools never had allergies or asthma.
Slater, this was more obviously true when we elderly folk were in school, but is less the case now. My students now seem to be much more prone to pulmonary difficulties...asthma diagnoses are on the rise...and it cuts across the board. There are two of our varsity basketball players (one female, one male) whose asthma is usually well-controlled, but both have had episodes this year when they had to be pulled from the game while having breathing problems.

Does that mean that asthma is more common, or just more often diagnosed? Don't know.

In my own case, had no difficulties when I was a kid (and geeesh was I a nerd!), but developed asthma as an adult.

"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead."
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  10:01:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

quote:
quote:

Anthony Edwards

Dr. Mark Green?

quote:
quote:

Slater, this was more obviously true when we elderly folk were in school, but is less the case now. My students now seem to be much more prone to pulmonary difficulties...asthma diagnoses are on the rise...and it cuts across the board. There are two of our varsity basketball players (one female, one male) whose asthma is usually well-controlled, but both have had episodes this year when they had to be pulled from the game while having breathing problems.

Does that mean that asthma is more common, or just more often diagnosed? Don't know.

In my own case, had no difficulties when I was a kid (and geeesh was I a nerd!), but developed asthma as an adult.

IMO, I'd say that there are more pollutants in the air and the fact that people are cleaning too damn much. Doesn't allow our bodies to build up an immunity.

My family has no history of asthma, and yet, after I got out of the hospital after having had a bad case of double pneumonia, I found I had asthma. It comes from many directions nowadays...

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your common sense." -Buddha
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.