Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 L. Ron Hubbard reaches out from the grave..
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  16:03:03  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
...and goes after troubled souls.

Read it here

Probably this should have gone into Religon, but it looks more like a scam to me.

f

"They will take away my Darwin Fish only when they pry it from my cold, dead bumper!"

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  16:20:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
It's $cientology, therefore it is a scam masquerading as religion.

In the words of Mark Bunker, LRH was a tubby lunatic charlitan.

Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  17:23:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

It's $cientology, therefore it is a scam masquerading as religion.

As oposed to all those other organized Religions?

But seriously, the timing of this ad campaing seems to suggest that the people making the decisions are not very flexible or fast. All the other assholes have cashed in on September 11th months ago. They are a bit late.

I think we all know what we have to think of their assurance that this is not a recruitment attempt.

That mental health professionals look at this development with concern won't make much of a diffrence either. Isn't it their official church doctrine that all psychaters are evil?

Go to Top of Page

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  17:47:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
quote:
As oposed to all those other organized Religions?

But at least the people who set up other religions actualy believed in their spiritual claims. Dianetics started as an alternative mental health therapy. The book was titled Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health

From The Creation of Human Ability, L. Ron Hubbard, 1953

quote:
Scientology has opened the gates to a better World. It is not a
psycho-therapy nor a religion. It is a body of knowledge which, when
properly used, gives freedom and truth to the individual.

This quote has been removed from that book in later printings. In a 1953 letter he discusses marketing strategies for Scientology, including a 'religion angle'. In 1962 a policy letter was sent out to all orgs (back then they were called franchises) stating the change in policy:

quote:
Scientology 1970 is being planned on a religious organization basis throughout the world.

This will not upset in any way the usual activities of any organization. is entirely a matter for accountants and solicitors.

HCO PL October 29, 1962, RELIGION

They may have been slow with the billboards, but they were actualy pretty quick with everything else. Right after the disaster they flooded NY with 'volunteer ministers', encouraging as many people to go as they could, and start printing a lot of promotional materials, Way To Happiness pamphlets, and the like. I can look up copies of some of the e-mails they sent out if you like.

Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  22:18:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

But at least the people who set up other religions actualy believed in their spiritual claims. Dianetics started as an alternative mental health therapy.

Actually, Dianetics most likely began as a scam, with no intention of helping anyone, mentally or otherwise:

quote:
At the time, I was friendly with the late Theodore Sturgeon, a distinguished science-fiction writer whose work I admired. Ted knew Hubbard fairly well, and told me that at a sci-fi convention the previous year Hubbard had told him and several other writers something like this: "You guys just wait. I've thought up a racket that's going to make me very rich. You'll hear about it in a few months."

from http://www.skepdic.com/comments/dianeticcom.html

the reader comments section of http://www.skepdic.com/dianetic.html

Of course, this could be inaccurate, but I wouldn't be at all surprised...

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  20:48:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:

Actually, Dianetics most likely began as a scam, with no intention of helping anyone, mentally or otherwise:

quote:
At the time, I was friendly with the late Theodore Sturgeon, a distinguished science-fiction writer whose work I admired. Ted knew Hubbard fairly well, and told me that at a sci-fi convention the previous year Hubbard had told him and several other writers something like this: "You guys just wait. I've thought up a racket that's going to make me very rich. You'll hear about it in a few months."

There's also a story which has Hubbard telling some fellow sci-fi writers that they're all idiots for knocking themselves out for a penny per word when the way to get rich is to invent a new religion.

That also might be apocryphal, but if you want to get a bit of insight into Hubbard's attitude from his fiction, dig up a story called "Battling Bolto", which appeared in Thrilling Wonder Stories.

It's been nearly two decades since I ran across it in a friend's pulp magazine collection, so my memory of the details is very foggy, (I remember that it involved a man masquerading as a boxing robot) but I clearly recall the way I felt after reading it.

I thought "Wow, this guy really thinks like a con man".

Boris Karloff died for your sins.
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  21:09:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
There are all kinds of myths and urban legends surrounding the creation of Scientology. The one about it coming out of a bet with Heinlein being the most popular. Sometimes as a twist it is added that Hubbard wanted to reveal his hoax before his death and was helped along as a result.

As a sceptic I have to note with regret that there a to many different versions of this and not enough evidence to prove any of them.

There is no doubt in my mind that LRH never believed in his 'religion' himself, but don't think he announced his con-job beforehand.

As for comparing his creation to established religions:

Today nobody can tell if the writers of the evangelium believed in the stuff they wrote themselves and wether Jesus actually lived. There is enough similarity between the events as presented in the new testament and prior pagan religious lore to indicate its writers at least knowingly enhanced the tales somewhat to make it more acceptable for their target audience. It is similar with most complex religions.

I say lets give Scientolgy a few centuries and you won't be able to tell much difference between them and other religions.
They might commit some holy wars, witchhunts, ursurpings of political power and a bit of general genocide but that too is not uncommen for developing religions before they settle down and become civilized.

Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  22:28:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
quote:

There are all kinds of myths and urban legends surrounding the creation of Scientology. The one about it coming out of a bet with Heinlein being the most popular.

Not an actual money bet but not an urban legend either.
Isaac Asimov told me, over drinks one night, that it was he that suggested it to Hubbard as a joke. But L. Ron took the idea and ran with it.

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  22:46:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
quote:
I say lets give Scientolgy a few centuries and you won't be able to tell much difference between them and other religions.

They may have nowhere near that long. Just last night I attended our monthly meeting of the Ontario Skeptics Society for Critical Inquiry, and our guest speaker was none other than Keith Henson, well known Scientology baiter. The 'church' claims to have upwards of 8 million members worldwide. By Mr. Henson's estimation the figure is more like about 55,000. There were once seven scientology centres here in Ontario, there are now two.

I think the only question now is; will they go out with a bang or a whimper?

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!
Go to Top of Page

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  06:27:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
You got to see Keith Henson? Cool!

The birth of the internet was the beginning of the end for Co$. They depended on secrecy and controll of information. Thanks to the internet most of their secrets are easily available, former members have been able to get togeather and compare notes, share information, help in court cases, and expose questionable or illegal activities.

Bang or whimper? That's hard. As it is, because of all the information out there, many of the people left are either the most controlled or the most fanatical. As they wither away that trend will most likely continue. I guess that depends on Miscavage, will he take the money and run when the game is up, or stand his ground and self destruct.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  09:56:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Speaking of Scientology, you should get a load of Hubbard's version of creation on this site at: http://216.119.101.244/dawnscireview.asp It's very funny.

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  10:20:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Great Googley Moogley!!!

I am not so amazed that this total crap is put forth as True Faith. After all it's only a little more preposterous than most other religons. What I find staggering is that anyone with an education beyond the third grade might actually believe it.

I fear for the future of our species. We are far too easily brain-washed.

f

"They will take away my Darwin Fish only when they pry it from my cold, dead bumper!"
Go to Top of Page

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  10:53:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
quote:

Hmm.... as it is winter I would take it your bumper can get to be pretty cold, especialy at night. I'm willing to bet your bumper also does not have a pulse, nor detectable brain activity... So can I have your Darwin Fish?

personaly though, I think I'd prefer a nice Cthulhu fish

Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  12:18:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
quote:
They might commit some holy wars, witchhunts, ursurpings of political power and a bit of general genocide but that too is not uncommen for developing religions before they settle down and become civilized.

Burning skeptics at the stake?

Over my charred corpse. It ain't going nowhere.

Xev -Ad astra!- Bellringer
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  14:35:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
"Hmm.... as it is winter I would take it your bumper can get to be pretty cold, especialy at night. I'm willing to bet your bumper also does not have a pulse, nor detectable brain activity... So can I have your Darwin Fish?

Well, I'm not quite done with it yet, but if you don't mind waiting, I shouldn't need it in another decade or so. Or the bumper, either, for that matter. Then, you can then have both.

f

Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  15:53:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

The birth of the internet was the beginning of the end for Co$. They depended on secrecy and controll of information.

I don't know True Believers never seem inclined in actually accessing any information contrary to their faith. You already have to have doubts to seek out information.

The Catholic Church survived just fine the invention of the printing press and the translation of the Bible in languages the followers could actually understand.

quote:

Bang or whimper? That's hard. As it is, because of all the information out there, many of the people left are either the most controlled or the most fanatical. As they wither away that trend will most likely continue. I guess that depends on Miscavage, will he take the money and run when the game is up, or stand his ground and self destruct.

Those things tend to develope a live of their own. I recall a group of Ex-Scientology members who kept their faith after they left the church and founded a religion of their own based on Scientologys teachings.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.