New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DVF
Skeptic Friend

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  14:51:47  Show Profile Send DVF a Private Message
I'm gonna hold back my own comments and just toss this link into the ring.

http://www.theledger.com/top_stories/16bisi.htm

Um... Is that my beer?

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  15:44:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
If they are going to revise it it could use a new ending.
There's a Swedish Chief skit on the Muppets where he is cooking a lobster when a gang of lobsters dressed as Mexican Banditos, moustaches and all, ride in shoot a cleaver out of the Chief's hand and rescue their amigo from the pot. That would be a great new ending for the bible.

Oh they don't like shellfish. Then how about the bit with Jesus whipping the money lenders at the temple? That was exciting. Maybe they could give him a fedora to go with the bull whip. "Nazereth Jesus and the Temple of Doom" has a good ring to it. "Thou shalt trust me."

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  16:06:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
Yes more PC in the Bible!

I wonder wether one of the gender inacuracys they plan to clear up will include.
You should not suffer a Witch or Warlock to live. This always seemed pretty gender discriminating to me.

But seriously changing man into person is that really such a big deal? Star-Trek did that a decade ago.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  19:21:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Historicly, Christianity has been a pretty elastic belief system. It gradually modifies it's self to adapt to changing societies (and sooner or later, the fundies will die out and their heirs will be, perhaps no less rabid, but a little different).

Looks like Evolution in action to me.

f

"Don't tell me your doubts; I've got enough doubts of my own. Tell me something you BELIEVE in!"
Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  07:46:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
Deuteronomy 4:2 - "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

DVF
Skeptic Friend

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  08:53:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DVF a Private Message
You know, sometimes I have to concede a little integrity credit to the fundies over more progressive christian sects.

Now, most modern religions take fairly sensible views to things like evolutions and biology. It is of course more rational to concede that no, the earth wasn't really created in 6 days and yes, there were dinosaurs. Mainstream religion takes the view that the Bible isn't always to be taken literally. Only problem is that it is meant to be taken literally. Yes, they really meant that the world was created and six days and no you can't sacrifice a calf to the lord if it's testicals aren't in presentable condition. Hats off to the fundies. At least they don't spew apologistic "well what it really means is.." crap with the believability rating of Ted Kennedy politely refusing a third cocktail.

Um... Is that my beer?
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  10:50:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

You know, sometimes I have to concede a little integrity credit to the fundies over more progressive christian sects.

No you don't. They also don't take everything literrally they just claim that they do. They take those parts that they like and ignore those that they don't. At least the more progressive christians admit that they are doing it and sometims are even sensible in choosing what they believe.

If some wants to get my respect for being conequent, they would have to belive everything in the Bible.

Besides it is not like the Bible is unchangeble written in stone or something. And even if they have not made any major changes to the Bible itself in some time, the majority of the adaptations have always been in the translations and iterpretations.

It is not as if anything new is being done here.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  10:57:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Deuteronomy 4:2 - "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito

Added by College of Cardinals 1309 AD.

Go to Top of Page

DVF
Skeptic Friend

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  11:18:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DVF a Private Message
quote:
They also don't take everything literrally they just claim that they do. They take those parts that they like and ignore those that they don't. At least the more progressive christians admit that they are doing it and sometims are even sensible in choosing what they believe.

No argument on the statement that fundies pick and choose. But I don't ever remember any christian group stating openly that they were selectively ignoring the Bible. What they usually do is claim that they're following the bible's intent, if not the exact wording.

quote:
Besides it is not like the Bible is unchangeble written in stone or something.

Also no argument. The thing get's changed or just reinterpreted to suit the era over and over. Like my tax returns. And I certainly believe that progressive christians are more sensible, never said otherwise. My intended point is this.

The component texts compiled to create the Bible were meant to be taken literally. Each change made to the text throughout their evolution was an act of hypocrisy. At present, a person labeling themselves a christian is faced with the reality that further they diverge from the original intent and directive of their religion, the more sensible their position becomes.

I wasn't really trying to praise the fundies.

Um... Is that my beer?
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  12:04:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito

Added by College of Cardinals 1309 AD.

Hee hee, really? My wife just happened to find that one yesterday while perusing the Skeptics Annotated Bible, and coincidently I thought it'd fit right in with this topic.

(She can't get enough of the SAB. It's hillarious. "Hey, listen to this!" "Hey, did you know you weren't allowed to do this?!" "Hey, did you know God's farts were musical?!". Gotta love her. )

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  18:56:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:
"Hey, did you know God's farts were musical?!".

ROTFLOL

Is that so? Then He's really gotta tune His instrument.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your common sense." -Buddha
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.