Religion
 Faces in the Ocean?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  03:28:19  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Did anyone ever hear of some guy named Loyd Carpenter, who claims that there are a series of "pictures" that more or less make up the ocean floor? He was on (of course!) Art Bell's show "Coast-to-Coast" on Sun Feb 17. He has a book out called: "Ocean Floor Mysteries : The Amazing Mystery of the Great FACE on the Pacific Ocean" (A Sermon in Stone). The picture shown does sort of look like a face--the question is, how much so? He brags that "not even atheists" can explain it.

He even went on about his being a suscriber to the "Skeptical Inquirer", and that he showed his findings to Madalyn Murray O'Hair who (he said) had to admit it looked "designed".

He goes on to say that the people he "respects" are those atheists who look at his findings and admit that there is no "natural" explanation. Typical fundamentalist; only those who take their point of view are worthy of respect!

Is it just more bull, or an "honest mistake" by a guy who sees what he wants to see?

Of more interest, he says there are even more pictures relating to "scripture".

His site is: "http://www.spiralupdatenews.com"

The address for his book is here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0965962709/coasttocoastam/104-4254376-1967955

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  04:14:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
The Human brain works in a way that lets you see faces everywere you look:

Clouds, vegetable, the Moon, On Mars, a map of Spain and Portugal.

That does not mean that any of those were designed to look like human heads, it means that it has been a survival trait for humans to recognize human faces and sometimes you get false positives.

In my experience there are sometimes people who try to convince us of stupid things that have made 'honest mistakes'.

There are however few who have made 'honest mistakes' and then try to earn money with it. Publishing books on the subject like he did is usually a good sign of somebody who is neither honest nor espescially mistaken in the way he has found to dupe dumb people out of money.

Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  07:51:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
It's called pareidolia.

http://www.skepdic.com/pareidol.html

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  08:46:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Did anyone ever hear of some guy named Loyd Carpenter, who claims that there are a series of "pictures" that more or less make up the ocean floor? He was on (of course!) Art Bell's show "Coast-to-Coast" on Sun Feb 17. He has a book out called: "Ocean Floor Mysteries : The Amazing Mystery of the Great FACE on the Pacific Ocean" (A Sermon in Stone). The picture shown does sort of look like a face--the question is, how much so? He brags that "not even atheists" can explain it.

He even went on about his being a suscriber to the "Skeptical Inquirer", and that he showed his findings to Madalyn Murray O'Hair who (he said) had to admit it looked "designed".

He goes on to say that the people he "respects" are those atheists who look at his findings and admit that there is no "natural" explanation. Typical fundamentalist; only those who take their point of view are worthy of respect!

Is it just more bull, or an "honest mistake" by a guy who sees what he wants to see?

Of more interest, he says there are even more pictures relating to "scripture".

His site is: "http://www.spiralupdatenews.com"

The address for his book is here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0965962709/coasttocoastam/104-4254376-1967955

When did he allege to have shown the pictures to O'Hair? If it's after 1995, he's full of crap.

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  08:56:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

When did he allege to have shown the pictures to O'Hair? If it's after 1995, he's full of crap.

Maybe John Edward helped him.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  09:13:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Lisa, ya beat me to it!

I seem to have heard of Carpenter, but don't recall the connection.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (as is Ugly)." People mostly see what they're looking for.

Of course there's an explanition. A great deal of sediment falls to the ocean floor. Much of it is contured, rather than flat. Get the light at a good angle, and you just might find a face.

Why don't these charectors get into something revelent, indeed fascinating, like the heat vents in the abyss that support an incredable ecosystem.

Yeesh!

f

"Don't tell me your doubts; I've got enough doubts of my own. Tell me something you BELIEVE in!"
Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

DVF
Skeptic Friend

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  09:34:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DVF a Private Message
quote:
Why don't these charectors get into something revelent, indeed fascinating, like the heat vents in the abyss that support an incredable ecosystem.

Incredible ecosystem my ass. I used to love watching and reading about the fascinating aray of exotic deep sea creatures. Then one day I'm watching a documentary on the deep see vents and they show this virtual carpet of huge shrimp. Very cool. Then they started talking about how these organisms lived in superheated water kept liquid at over 350^ by pressure and it dawned on me. How the hell do you cook the damned things?

Millions of dollars and countless man-hours of research and they find animals you can't cook? All this time I've been an ardent supporter of research and exploration in to new environments, both terrestrial and extraterrestrial, because we may find new life there, and that life may be tasty. What a dissapointment.

Um... Is that my beer?

Edited by - dvf on 02/19/2002 09:35:55
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  09:56:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

All this time I've been an ardent supporter of research and exploration in to new environments, both terrestrial and extraterrestrial, because we may find new life there, and that life may be tasty. What a dissapointment.

Right on!

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  09:57:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
(hehehe)

They'd probably taste like sulpher anyway (sour grapes).

It is thought in some quarters that life on earth might have started in just such an enviroment. Speculation of course, but thought provoking none the less.

f

"Don't tell me your doubts; I've got enough doubts of my own. Tell me something you BELIEVE in!"
Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  10:50:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Incredible ecosystem my ass. I used to love watching and reading about the fascinating aray of exotic deep sea creatures. Then one day I'm watching a documentary on the deep see vents and they show this virtual carpet of huge shrimp. Very cool. Then they started talking about how these organisms lived in superheated water kept liquid at over 350^ by pressure and it dawned on me. How the hell do you cook the damned things?

Millions of dollars and countless man-hours of research and they find animals you can't cook? All this time I've been an ardent supporter of research and exploration in to new environments, both terrestrial and extraterrestrial, because we may find new life there, and that life may be tasty. What a dissapointment.

Um... Is that my beer?

Edited by - dvf on 02/19/2002 09:35:55

crock pot at 400 for 12 hours. Salt to taste with a nice white wine sauce.

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  11:44:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
crock pot at 400 for 12 hours. Salt to taste with a nice white wine sauce.

Thought that would be the pressure cooker.

---
There is no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our world. It underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've known. Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  13:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
Raw. Don't bother cooking them.

Oh yes, the question:

Probably a bit of both, an honest mistake that matured into BS.

Thought constitutes the greatness of man -Pascal
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  16:15:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
OK. I can't cook anyway, so I suppose I'd have to dine out.

---
There is no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our world. It underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've known. Sagan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.