Conspiracy Theories
 This is really off!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2002 :  05:22:11  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
This one is strictly for the birds: there is a xtian fundamentalist tract publisher "Jack Chick" who publishes these really weird stuff
(see http//www.chick.com). This guy makes Hovind seem almost normal for Cthulhu's sake!
(If I've misspelled his name, then I invite him to come get me! ). Hovind wrote some tracts for him, it seems.

Anyway, here's a tract called "The Last Generation" at: "http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0094/0094_01.asp" You have to read it to believe it (Ok, bad choice of words . It's especially bad considering that it was written about 10 years ago, depicting xtians as being singled out, while rampant paganism and occult stuff is running around everywhere. (they even have sacrifices at schools!

In real life, it's closer to the opposite; its the xtians who have the upper hand politically and socially, just look at guys like Cal Thomas and some of the others you've dug up. That doesn't stop them from feeding (and feeding off of) people's fears, though.
How pathetic.

Hook
Skeptic Friend

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2002 :  07:58:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hook a Private Message
Ah, yes, Jack Chick-- been around for decades. Outrageous, scary if you think about it, but also pretty funny stuff. When I was growing up in the sixties we would read this stuff and howl. Because of their crude underground comics style and exaggeration, I think they really only reach two audiences-- the already converted and folk who howl at them because they are like movies that are so bad you sit up watching them just to make running wise cracks.

If you want some fun in the other direction, look up an old Underground comic by Justin Green (? not sure of last name) called "Binky Brown meets the Holy Virgin Mary". Best quote: "There are no holy signs below the waist, folks!" LOL!

(P-)>

"I don't care whether my neighbor believes in zero gods or 20 gods, I care whether my neighbor believes in democracy."
--Bill Moyers

Edited by - Hook on 04/03/2002 07:59:52
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2002 :  08:38:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Good, ol' Jacky! The thing that makes him so hilarius is that he's stone serious. And has skin thicker than rhinocereous hide.

He does a lot of hand-in-glove with another of our favorite dingbats; the amazing Kent Hovind.

Here, we have the Cheech and Chong of the pulpit pounders (sorry, but Falwell and Robertson are not funny). They are a source of great amusment to us and an embarrassment even to the rest of the fundies.

Love it!

f

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."--Benjamin Franklin, _Poor_Richard_, 1758
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  03:12:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

This one is strictly for the birds: there is a xtian fundamentalist tract publisher

Excuse me, I've never heard that term 'tract publisher'. What is a tract?
Thank you in advance,
nlm

Everyone said it couldn't be done. So no one tried. Execpt one old man who lived in a cave on the other side of the world. He hadn't heard it couldn't be done. So he tried. He couldn't do it either.
If you succeed, you sell, if you 'fail' you learn
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  07:10:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

What is a tract?

tract
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, treatise, modification of Latin tractatus tractate
Date: 1760
: a pamphlet or leaflet of political or religious propaganda; also : a piece of writing that is suggestive of such a tract

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

jec96
Skeptic Friend

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2002 :  11:52:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jec96 a Private Message
I honestly do not know if I should be concerned for these peoples mental health, or just laugh at them for the clowns they are. Either way, it kind of creeps me out that there are people still today who accept this tripe.

-It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Kaneda Kuonji
Skeptic Friend

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2002 :  14:02:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kaneda Kuonji a Private Message
Y'know, I for one wouldn't mind seeing the makers of all this BS put in a mental asylum...

Hmmm...better add Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell to the list as well. Seriously, if I find a Chick Tract, I rip it up and then wash my hands afterwards.

Maybe I should save them and give my family a proper warning about this.

Rodney Dean, CI Order of the Knights of Jubal
Ivbalis.org

Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2002 :  14:49:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
Ah, Chick tracts. Delightful little things. I always wanted to make Cthulhu Tracts to parody them.

P.S: Does anyone find the eyes of his Jesus to be - well - creepy? I mean, they glow.

- Cthulhu Saves! -
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2002 :  21:46:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

Ah, Chick tracts. Delightful little things. I always wanted to make Cthulhu Tracts to parody them.

P.S: Does anyone find the eyes of his Jesus to be - well - creepy? I mean, they glow.

- Cthulhu Saves! -

If you could turn water into wine, your eyes would glow too. Personally, I'd rather have a beer.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  01:20:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
If you thought that his tracts were weird, you should see some of his comic books! Take for example, "The Godfathers", where he blames the catholics for everything (I know that secular history of the catholic church is bad enough, but this is ridiculous).

The link is: "http://www.chick.com/reading/comics/0114/godfathersindex.asp"

Here are some quotes:
"http://www.chick.com/reading/comics/0114/0114_fourpages.asp?PG=24"
(I think that's the page set)
quote:
God help us if the United States ever signs a concordat with the Vatican. Catholicism would be the only recognized religion in the U.S. and it would be you and your children appearing in the pictures above. Dr. Rivera claims negotiations are currently under way to bring this to pass.

(I forgot which page it's on, but that paragraph appears below pictures taken from concentration camps!)

http://www.chick.com/reading/comics/0114/0114_fourpages.asp?PG=17
On this page set, he says that the street fights between Catholics who were Nazis and Catholics who were Communists took place is
quote:
NOTE: This political action by Roman Catholics is going on today in Poland as an experiment, also in Canada, El Salvador, Chile, and has been planned for the United States/
--in Canada? This is the first I've heard about it, and I live here!

(the 4-page format is what works for me)

There is a site out there that looks at Chick's work strictly from an entertainment point of view: http://members.aol.com/monsterwax/chick.html

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.