Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  08:02:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by austin

No problem.

It's all well and good to laugh and make jokes about finding Jesus' bones (actually it's not), but does this really mean anything if you can't actually produce them? You never will. So Christians are still the ones laughing.

Without any tomb or bones, this joke means nothing.

So your saying there is no evidence for Jesus and therefore Christians win? Welcome to SFN Austin

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  08:06:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:

If you knew the Truth, and people made a habit of making fun of it when you tried to explain it to them, what would your reaction be? Well, mine is what it is.

Also, if the Truth allows no "critical thought," then which should you choose? And just for the record, Christianity does not condemn critical thought, when used with a truly seeking mind. But it does hold to the Truth, and how can we comprimise that for the sake of so-called "critical thought" that contradicts?

Exactly! You are critical of everything but what you alread hold to be true for no reason or evidence. That is the opposite of a critical thinker. Duh!

quote:

You seem to think that my beliefs are based on what I've been taught, or what I've figured out myself, but they are neither.

I bet there based on nothing let's see.
quote:

God has revealed himself to me, and you won't be able to understand that unless you experience it yourself. I'm not talking about an emotional or pyschological experience - those are unreliable, and they pass away. I'm talking about the hand of God in my life.

Really? Does he keep his finger nails kempt? My Muslim friends admonish me that Allah is fastidious about that.

quote:

If you want to hear the voice, get your fingers out of your ears, stopl saying "la la la," and just listen. Maybe you'll hear something.

That is my advice to you. Also, read a few books on Neurochemistry you may understand right temporal lobe interaction for religious experience.

- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  08:08:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:

I also have a sense of humor, but even you will agree that there are times when something simply isn't funny.

Personally, I think my signature below is pretty funny. Maybe you don't. If not, then maybe you can't laugh at stabs at your beliefs either, removing your right to accuse me.

I think jokes are funny no matter the target. I have one about dead babies, ok here goes, How many dead babies does it take to change a light bulb?

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  08:10:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:

I know, I know, four in a row. I'll stop after this.

To prove that I do occasionally find jokes involving members of my own faith funny, I will admit that I found R. Wreck's suggestion for the new name of the archaeology team to be hilarious.

Also, I've made quite a few Baptist jokes in my time, even though I belonged to a Baptist church when I made them.

Exactly, the funniest jokes are the ones about yourself.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  08:13:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:

Next week (after the busyness of thanksgiving) I will try to put into words how God works and has worked in my life, and how I know it's him. Those are legitimate questions. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to just ask God to show himself to you if he's real. After all, if he's not, there will be no consequence.

Sure here goes. "God I sincerly desire evidence in my life that you indeed exist and have a plan for the Earth."

I'll get back to you on it, but you should know that I asked that question everyday since I was 7 till I was 17 and it was the looking into the matter that lead me to atheism.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  08:23:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:

the existence of God? Uh oh, looks like this problem goes deeper than I thought. I was going to explain how God has worked in my life, but it's clear that you must first believe in God.

I agree you must first believe in god to see god as real. That is the problem isn't it? Children who believe in Santa see him all the time all around the world. There are more Santa sighting than alien sightings (they also believe before seeing). Even still, many believers come to reality with due study.
quote:

Very well, I'll try my best. I'll be back in a few days or so.

Challenge (that most of you will be too weak to cope with):

Instead of rejecting God completely, why don't you do a little more research?

I have had four years of bible classes at college level(it was even a Baptist school. I have research Christianity since I was in high school). I have also researched other religions as well, but first I am a scientist and when a scientist requires scientific evidence of fact he cannot maintain Faith, which specifically requires no evidence and in my experience, flies in the face of evidence to the contrary.

I would be willing to bet I know more about your religion than you do. I will give you the same challenge as you us. Study your craft, compartmentalize and if the dissonance doesn't break you, preach on.
In any case, the people here care more about evidence than wishes.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Edited by - Neurosis on 12/31/2006 08:27:43
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  08:25:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
I apologize for serial posting but I missed that there was an actual discussion on Moonscape?!?

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  14:10:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

I apologize for serial posting but I missed that there was an actual discussion on Moonscape?!?

Hard to believe, isn't it? (I'd bumped this topic last night when I put in a larger "resurrection" image for the OP.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  08:27:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I couldn't help myself bumping this thread...

quote:

the existence of God? Uh oh, looks like this problem goes deeper than I thought. I was going to explain how God has worked in my life, but it's clear that you must first believe in God. Very well, I'll try my best. I'll be back in a few days or so.

Challenge (that most of you will be too weak to cope with):

Instead of rejecting God completely, why don't you do a little more research?

It looks like austin bailed on us.
With a hubris like his, he couldn't have been a good Christian to begin with. If he is on hiatus to repent for it, I wouldn't expect him to return 'til after Easter, if ever.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.