Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Lake Monster! The Mansi photos, best ever!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  15:31:01  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having lived in VT, close to Lake Champlain for some 16 years, I'm quite familiar with this one.

If you happen to live close by the lake, it is easy to find someone who has sighted this beast -- almost everybody who is not leaning toward the skeptical! Sometimes they get a little miffed if you suggest that they were probably observing it through the bottom of a beer bottle. Anyhow:
Here at Tet Zoo we've looked at lake monsters on a couple of occasions now: at alleged Nessie photos here, and at the sad death of the Lake Khaiyr monster here. For a while I've been planning to add to this list, and to write about one of the most famous, most iconic lake monster photos: the Mansi photo [detail shown in adjacent image: © Sandra Mansi]. This reasonably good colour photo is well known to everyone interested in cryptozoology, but I suppose is not so familiar to those who haven't read the cryptozoological literature. So if you're familiar with lake monster literature, nothing I'm about to say will be new to you. For the rest of you, here we go...

Enjoy!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/10/2008 17:31:38

Coat Of Arms
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  17:12:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Coat Of Arms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first saw this photo I thought it looked like a beaver flipping on it's side. When I first saw the Patterson Grimlin film I said it's a guy in a suit. Forty years later it still looks like a guy in a suit.

Paul C.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  19:03:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

Somebody said.....
We live in a cosmos with a cosmic quantity of possibilities, some of which include gods & after-lives, angels, leprechauns, invisible, pink unicorns, batboys, talking serpents, gollywhompers, Dave W., seven headed Revelation-monsters, sasquatches, jabberwoks, cheshire cats and, yes, mediums as well.
It is a well known fact that Dave is a champion swimmer, has a wet suit (because he is frequently all), and summers in Vermont and other exotic locations, (Scotland etc.) I doubt that he will 'fess up, but you could at least ask him!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  02:13:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Filthy.....

Somebody said.....
We live in a cosmos with a cosmic quantity of possibilities, some of which include gods & after-lives, angels, leprechauns, invisible, pink unicorns, batboys, talking serpents, gollywhompers, Dave W., seven headed Revelation-monsters, sasquatches, jabberwoks, cheshire cats and, yes, mediums as well.
It is a well known fact that Dave is a champion swimmer, has a wet suit (because he is frequently all), and summers in Vermont and other exotic locations, (Scotland etc.) I doubt that he will 'fess up, but you could at least ask him!
I can safely state that that is not Dave scaring the walleyes, yellow perch, pickerel & northern pike, lake trout, and generally screwing up the fishing in Lake Champlain, no. Anyone who can't see that it most closely resembles a soggy piece of driftwood needs to either get their glasses fixed or change their intoxicants. It is obviously Halfmooner, the dread Unknown Curse of the Lake, who is only ever seen in one of his many, loathsome disguises. Once in a while, like Bigfoot & Nessie, he poses for a photo, each different from the last, causing great consternation and tee-shirt sales.

Mystery solved!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  04:27:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to see how HalfMooner responds to your likening him to a soggy piece of driftwood.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  05:24:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I can't wait to see how HalfMooner responds to your likening him to a soggy piece of driftwood.
Yes, I'm kinda looking forward to that myself.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.