Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  06:28:10  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dembski has a new mission (same as the old mission, really), and actually tells the truth, sort of, for a change.

"Theistic Evolutionists Close Ranks — Let the Bloodletting Begin!

William Dembski

Theistic evolutionists hold that Darwinian evolution is God's way of bringing about the diversity of life on earth. They used to be content to criticize ID on scientific grounds. But that's no longer enough. They are now charging ID with undermining the very fabric of civilization and even the Christian religion itself. Ken Miller's most recent book, just out, makes this point in the subtitle — Only a Theory: Evolution and the Battle for America's Soul. From the title, you'd think that Darwin is the Messiah and that until his ideas about evolution gained acceptance, our souls were in jeopardy.

Miller has called himself an Orthodox Christian and an Orthodox Darwinian (cf. the 2001 PBS Evolution Series). But one has to wonder which of these masters he serves more faithfully. A year or so ago, when Richard Dawkins's website posted a blasphemy challenge (reported at UD here — the challenge urged people to post a YouTube video of themselves blaspheming the Holy Spirit), I asked Ken Miller for his reaction. He pooh-poohed it as “a clumsy attempt to trivialize important issues.” The obvious question this raises is whether systematic efforts by atheists to trivialize (and indeed denigrate) important issues is itself an important issue.

Could it be that the evolutionists' assault on both science (by perpetuating the fraud that natural selection has unmatched creative powers) and religion (by using evolution as a club to beat people of faith) is undermining America's soul? Not according to Miller. He's got other fish to fry. For him, it's the ID proponents' assault on evolution that is undermining America's soul. Forget about Dawkins and his blasphemy challenge. Let's shaft the ID community."

It blithers on a bit and then this:

"What's our strategy. The strategy is multipronged. Let me just give you one prong: WIN THE YOUTH. The release date for Miller's book is June 12th. I've got a book titled Understanding Intelligent Design: Everything You Need to Know (co-authored with youth speaker and high-school teacher Sean McDowell) whose release date is July 1st. It is geared specifically at mobilizing Christian young people, homeschoolers, and church youth groups with the ID alternative to Darwinian evolution. You might want to compare Francis Collins' endorsment of Miller's book with Ann Coulter's endorsement of mine"

There follows something by Coulter that makes about as much sense as anything else she spews.

I was getting cranked up to go after this one, but discovered that I have been shittcanned with no notice. A pity. I am no longer an IDiot in good standing and so can no longer undermine it from the inside. And what is really a pity, though, is that I'd yet to hit my stride and give them reason to ban me. Which would have happened sooner or later, anyway, probably with the response (mine) to this (Dembski's) post.

Ah well....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  06:50:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Coulter is not an IDist? I know she is against the ToE... I guess that would make her a Creationist (probably young earth too).

Maybe she got fired from the rank and decided to pretend she was working as a double agent the whole time.

The woman is not making any sense that I can see, but at least she is right on one point:
A pity. I am no longer an IDiot in good standing and so can no longer undermine it from the inside.

Like she undermine the credibility of anything she is associating her tiny brain with...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  06:54:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah well....

Indeed. No matter how polite you are, if you don't agree with them you get banned. This suggests to me that they are motivated more by fear than in the confidence that their idea's can withstand a challenge...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  07:08:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Ah well....

Indeed. No matter how polite you are, if you don't agree with them you get banned. This suggests to me that they are motivated more by fear than in the confidence that their idea's can withstand a challenge...

Yeah. My eventually getting banned was a given anyway. They have nothing but hyperbole to support their conjectures and that gets slapped down every time they air it in public. Being reminded of it at home, as it were, might be a little unsettling.
A pity. I am no longer an IDiot in good standing and so can no longer undermine it from the inside.
Um, Simon, it is I who am no longer an IDiot, not Coulter, who is an idiot under any circumstances.

Misunderstandings occure when you use italics instead of the Quote option, but I find a long text hard to read in the little quote boxes.

Your assignment for today, Grasshopper, is to re-read the OP.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  07:19:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh... Yeah; I made a fool of myself sorry.

And I should have guess too; the term IDiot should have been a give-away.

Well... Let's say that I was just starting to drink my first coffee of the morning. That's the closest I can get from an excuse...

Incidentally, the statement do make much more sense now.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  08:12:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Well... Let's say that I was just starting to drink my first coffee of the morning. That's the closest I can get from an excuse...

Well, I hate to be critical (yeah, right!) but you seem to sometimes get into a bit of a hurry with your reading, and especally your writing. Me, I used to do the same, even when writing for publication.

But I slowed down and gave myself time to consider the words and phrasing. And, when it finally became habitual, found myself actually going faster because I was not farting around doing so much re-. Re- (reading & writing) will kill you in the deadline dept.

On the other hand, there is no such thing as good writing; only good re-writing. But this falls under the heading of self-editing, and is therefore permissible; indeed, necessary. Even this brief post has been edited that I can be sure I'm saying what I want to get across. And the more you do it, the easier and faster it gets. These days, I do it as I go along, at least on the short stuff. Get the wording just right, and the thought will fall into place.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  08:17:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ike the ID sites. they have some valid criicisms, along with the propaganda and assorted other snacks.
Trouble is, none of them that I've joined let me post a troll thread. IN fact nobody can open a thread without approval. They will be cat into th elake of fire as soon as I'm settled and can give the signal to upstairs.
I like you guys too !
and you let me have a thread.
but you haven't fetched my crown yet ! customarily on other sites, at least, if you all get a drubbing - you are forced to submit or flee - then the crown appears, no ?
I've not received so much as a nice Moo Goo Gai Pan from you Friends.

Hop to it boys ! Deposit it the "If I get a Haircut 2 " thread, please.

Ta.

Eternal Blessings,

Muhammed, your Holy Father.

It does mention phenotype, just without using the word "phenotype."... DAVEW
Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/13/2008 08:32:00
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  08:27:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by Simon

Well, I hate to be critical (yeah, right!) but you seem to sometimes get into a bit of a hurry with your reading, and especally your writing. Me, I used to do the same, even when writing for publication.

But I slowed down and gave myself time to consider the words and phrasing. And, when it finally became habitual, found myself actually going faster because I was not farting around doing so much re-. Re- (reading & writing) will kill you in the deadline dept.

On the other hand, there is no such thing as good writing; only good re-writing. But this falls under the heading of self-editing, and is therefore permissible; indeed, necessary. Even this brief post has been edited that I can be sure I'm saying what I want to get across. And the more you do it, the easier and faster it gets. These days, I do it as I go along, at least on the short stuff. Get the wording just right, and the thought will fall into place.

You might very well be right with that.
And the community is much smaller here than on other sites I often post on, so it is more difficult to get away with anything, including sloppiness.

I'll try to make an effort.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  08:34:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by MuhammedGoldstein

I ike the ID sites. they have some valid criicisms, along with the propaganda and assorted other snacks.
troub;le is, none of them that I've joined let me post a troll thread. IN fact nobody can open a thread without approval.
I like you guys too !
but you haven't fetched my crown yet !

Hop to it boys ! Deposit it the the "If I get a Haircut 2 " thread, please.

Ta.

Eternal Blessings,

My point is made.

Ok Moe, I'll bite: beyond apparently lowering your ears, what does your haircut hoo-hah have to do with Dembski's lunacy? And how exactly, are you qualified to be a "holy father?"

In the other thread(s), you rambled on and on with no apparent destination, tempting me to scream: "WHAT IN THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!" and now you want to do the same in this one? Well, ok, but do not expect gentle treatment. Indeed, you would be better off to start anew with another OP.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  09:22:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote

troub;le is, none of them that I've joined let me post a troll thread. IN fact nobody can open a thread without approval.
I like you guys too !

Ta.

Eternal Blessings,

My point is made.

Ok Moe, I'll bite:
you do.
beyond apparently lowering your ears, what does your haircut hoo-hah have to do with Dembski's lunacy?
oh, is all this ONLY about Dembski ?

Well, then, my comments are comparing lunacy to lunacy. Here, lunatic Boffins, and Yahoos alike, foundered on my poor pons asinorum. Your main object of adoration and weapon of choice turns out to be something you are intimately unfamiliar with. It was a lovely display of lunacy and aggression.

And how exactly, are you qualified to be a "holy father?"
Your Submission has entitled me to it.

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/13/2008 09:30:14
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  09:33:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lithium will no longer be available on credit.

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  09:35:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Zebra

Lithium will no longer be available on credit.

lithium will be free and plentiful here.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  11:42:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to derail the thread, but...

I ike the ID sites. they have some valid criicisms...
Assuming you meant "criticisms," name one.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  12:08:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Not to derail the thread, but...

I ike the ID sites. they have some valid criicisms...
Assuming you meant "criticisms," name one.
commonly, a lack of self correction in evolutionary biology is one criticism I found "somewhere" on a creationist site on the net.I don't know which one though. I have a few more. How do you like that criticism? Valid ? Just consider me a Creationist for the time being.

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/13/2008 12:10:44
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  12:53:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I like you guys too !

Ta.

Eternal Blessings,

My point is made.

Ok Moe, I'll bite:
you do.
beyond apparently lowering your ears, what does your haircut hoo-hah have to do with Dembski's lunacy?
oh, is all this ONLY about Dembski ?

Well, then, my comments are comparing lunacy to lunacy. Here, lunatic Boffins, and Yahoos alike, foundered on my poor pons asinorum. Your main object of adoration and weapon of choice turns out to be something you are intimately unfamiliar with. It was a lovely display of lunacy and aggression.

And how exactly, are you qualified to be a "holy father?"
Your Submission has entitled me to it.

Bolding mine. Read the OP, idiot, if you are able.

In your time on these boards, you have shown even less than nothing. You are no more than a silly troll trying to be a disruptive one. And around here, you are entitled to no more than I am, which is nothing more than all of the others in these fora rate, including you. You obviously know zilch about the Theory of Evolution and are trying to express yourself as if you are knowledgable, and bro, it ain't workin'. Do you think that we are newbies in this game? Let me assure you that we are not. For us, this is a well-traveled road and we're perfectly willing to walk it again, assuming that the opposit view is coherent enough to make discussion possible.

So you like and trust Dembski, then? That alone tells me that you are as full of shit as he and his various minions & fellow travelers, and this was not so easy to discern, as you express yourself at something like a grammar-school level.

I had thought that perhaps English was your second language, but now I'm not so sure. Now I'm thinking that it's your cradle tongue and that you are just too bone-headed ignorant to use it properly.

But I'm a generous man; here's a link, go study it and then call me when/if(?) you have something of worth to say.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  12:54:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tut tut ! count to ten ! you were shown to be wrong in the haircut thread , so watch out, I got your number. Dave is thinking about it now. You should do the same. Get together. Plan a swarming.

I'm going to be linking the haircut thread around. so you'll have some guests getting a good belly laugh soon.

I know ! take down the thread. Take it down right now ! Hide it. Bury it !

You might get famous !
Skeptic Friends get famous in the churchy circles ! wouldn't that be fun ?
As soon as the damn ID sites let me post . GRRRR.

May be you should just apologize to me and we can get on with it. That's the gentlemanly thing to do when you have been challenged and beaten, you know. Shake hands and congratulate. Have you no honour, only false pride? just do it and learn to be humble.

or stay a jihadist.

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/13/2008 13:05:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds.