Conspiracy Theories
 conspiracy theories on...anything - Part 1
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RadioMusicBox

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  15:41:04  Show Profile  Visit RadioMusicBox's Homepage  Send RadioMusicBox a Yahoo! Message Send RadioMusicBox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just watched Penn & Teller: Bullshit! and they made an episode on conspiracy theories. For the first time in my life, I absolutely agree with P&T's points. Most conspiracy theorists are making claims and/or reason without (supported) evidence and it makes me mad. I have often wondered why conspiracy theorists thought that the people who died on 9/11 was faking their death. If anybody says that to me, they're gonna get hurt. I'm not playing. Why do they think that people cannot convince them constantly that they are wrong, wrong, wrong all the time? It's really bothering me right now. I am starting to get very critical at the motives of conspiracy theorists. Something is not sitting right with me and these thoughts need to be said.

What are your thoughts about this?
Let me know and I will listen.
This is part one

It's a cruel world...and YOU SUCK!!!!! (LAUGHTER)

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  18:31:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What motivates people to do anything, really? I rather think it's some sort of morbid ego trip and maybe a "rebel against the status quo regardless of the facts!" sort of thing. It is a childish reach for attention, ignoring substance in favor of only vaguely supported at best, rethoric. They try to explain the unknown with parenoid speculations and when debunked at it, they have the safe easy-out of screaming persecution and begging for sympathy. In short, they're nuttier'n Aunty Birdy's Christams fruitcake and should be thrown out with that same home-made cannonball that no one can chew, much less swallow. But alas, they get followings and tend to stick around.

The main problem with them is that all but the most outrageous conspiricy claims should get at least a quick, critical look-at just in case there's really something there, and this takes up time better spent on other, worth while projects.

I dunno if this is the answer you're looking for; hope it helps.

And welcome to SFN!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

RadioMusicBox

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  18:37:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit RadioMusicBox's Homepage  Send RadioMusicBox a Yahoo! Message Send RadioMusicBox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

What motivates people to do anything, really? I rather think it's some sort of morbid ego trip and maybe a "rebel against the status quo regardless of the facts!" sort of thing. It is a childish reach for attention, ignoring substance in favor of only vaguely supported at best, rethoric. They try to explain the unknown with parenoid speculations and when debunked at it, they have the safe easy-out of screaming persecution and begging for sympathy. In short, they're nuttier'n Aunty Birdy's Christams fruitcake and should be thrown out with that same home-made cannonball that no one can chew, much less swallow. But alas, they get followings and tend to stick around.

The main problem with them is that all but the most outrageous conspiricy claims should get at least a quick, critical look-at just in case there's really something there, and this takes up time better spent on other, worth while projects.

This is one of the best answers I ever heard. Thanx!

It's a cruel world...and YOU SUCK!!!!! (LAUGHTER)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  18:46:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D'nada! We does our best and sometime that's pretty good.

We get these guys in here now & again and have some experience. They get burned pretty badly.....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  19:05:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Welcome to SFN, RMB.....

I have often wondered why conspiracy theorists thought that the people who died on 9/11 was faking their death.
I haven't run into that "conspiracy" theory. Most of what I've seen regarding 9/11 conspiracies have to do with the US Government conspiring with terrorists to plan and execute the 9/11 attack!

To what were you referring with regards to to the "faking" of deaths on 9/11?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  03:07:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Welcome to SFN, RMB.....

I have often wondered why conspiracy theorists thought that the people who died on 9/11 was faking their death.
I haven't run into that "conspiracy" theory. Most of what I've seen regarding 9/11 conspiracies have to do with the US Government conspiring with terrorists to plan and execute the 9/11 attack!

I think that it was just poor wording on Music's part, although the conspiricy idiotcy surrounding 9/11 is vast and I'd not be too suprised if indeed, some dingbat were to claim the whole thing was faked like a low-budget, made for TV flick.

There are still a lot of unknowns, and thus gaps, in the findings and the CT's thrive on them as creationism fattens itself, or tries to, on gaps in the fossil record.

Music, you need to be careful; around here there be nit-pickers and we're good at it.....

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/17/2008 03:09:01
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  05:26:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skeptic Madlibs! Just change the variables to fit your nutcase.

Many fools combine a near total lack of critical thinking with a whole hearted belief that (Big Brother)1 is real and will (stop at nothing)2 to (create a one world government)3

The US as BB is a bit different than the Zionist Overlords Theory.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  08:28:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Welcome to SFN, RMB.....

It has been suggested that the so called "victims" just faked their death, and are now living somewhere in the Caribbean or perhaps elsewhere. A (relatively) more sane version is that the plane landed at Gitmo and they are now being held against their will.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  08:47:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky.....

It has been suggested that the so called "victims" just faked their death, and are now living somewhere in the Caribbean or perhaps elsewhere. A (relatively) more sane version is that the plane landed at Gitmo and they are now being held against their will.
Good God!! (Metaphorically, of course) I had no idea that anyone was insane enough to suggest anything as crazy as those two crackpipe dreams - is there supposed to be "evidence" for these nutcase imaginings? I would like to read of this craziness to use as an example just how deluded people can become. Does anyone have a reference or link?
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  09:18:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there supposed to be "evidence" for these nutcase imaginings?

Everything is evidence of anything when you just try hard enough!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  10:06:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

is there supposed to be "evidence" for these nutcase imaginings?
The fact that there's no evidence is all the evidence one should need as proof that the conspiracy exists and is covering up its tracks.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.