New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RadioMusicBox

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  23:24:56  Show Profile  Visit RadioMusicBox's Homepage  Send RadioMusicBox a Yahoo! Message Send RadioMusicBox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the questions to many of you skeptics out there:

1. What conspiracy theory(ies) you think is pure unadulterated bullshit?
2. Why is that?
3. How many hours have you spent arguing with a conspiracy theorist?
4. What C.T. where you exposed to for the first time? :facepalm:

Let me know and I will listen.
Show me your answers.

It's a cruel world...and YOU SUCK!!!!! (LAUGHTER)

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  01:36:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by RadioMusicBox

All of 'em? I haven't encountered a single one that I found convincing.

2. Why is that?

Because generally they are internally contradictory. My biggest red flag is that conspiracy theorists will often claim that the government is out to get them, while in the meantime wandering about freely, without any threat and without being hindered in "exposing" the evil doings of said government. Another red flag is that many conspiracy theories necessitate the silence of thousands and thousands of individuals, while experience learns that governments are very bad at covering up the wrongdoings of even a single individual.

No idea, probably not that many. Creations/evolution has long take up much more of my interest.

Probably the JFK murder.

As an extra, skepticism did not start with conspiracy theories for me. Erich von Daniken has the dubious honour of introducing me to pseudoscience when I encountered his books in the library.

Show me your answers.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  03:47:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"Conspiricy theory" is a poor name for it. It should be "conspiricy conjecture" to be perfectly accurate. There's no way that these things even resemble scientific theories. As Tom said: "All of 'em," at least until supporting evidence is produced. Until then, they are all bullshit.

2. Why is that?

See above.

Don't know exactly but a lot, here & elsewhere. Too many, in any event.

That Franklin Roosevelt instigated Pearl Harbor. That one's still floating around.

Show me your answers.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  04:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
That Franklin Roosevelt instigated Pearl Harbor. That one's still floating around.

That one is new to me. Do you have any links or sources?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  04:40:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80

Originally posted by filthy

That one is new to me. Do you have any links or sources?
This is a conspiricy theroy! but I'll see what I can find.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  04:51:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that was quick!
President Roosevelt (FDR) provoked the attack, knew about it in advance and covered up his failure to warn the Hawaiian commanders. FDR needed the attack to sucker Hitler to declare war, since the public and Congress were overwhelmingly against entering the war in Europe. It was his backdoor to war.
I first heard this one back in the '40s, and it has popped up, now and again, with declining frequency ever since. This article is more coherent than most.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  05:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh goody, thanks! I'm going to enjoy this tonight.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  06:59:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy said:
I first heard this one back in the '40s

Damn filthy, ya old fart!

Yeah,the Pearl Harbor conspiracy I have heard revolves around the US government having knowledge that Japan was going to attack Pearl Harbor.. days or weeks in advance, and letting it happen so they could get the votes in congress (and enough public opinion) to declare war.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  07:07:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

All of them.
If it was not they would not be true conspiracy conjectures but marginal opinions of sort.

Among the top WTF ones, however, is probably the reptilian conspiracy. Basically the idea that shape-shifting reptilian aliens are actually the ones behind the illuminatis; NWO and so on.

It ties together neatly two very fertile sources of CC (aliens and shadow government) and add a whole new icing of WTF on top of that.

For example; did you know that most world leaders, including George Bush and the English royal family are, indeed, actually aliens.

That is the reason why they had to kill Diana, you see, they had to adapt her girl parts for her to be able to reproduce with Charly. But, of course, it would have produced a weird hybrid if she had a child with Dodi Al-Fayed and risk exposing the conspiration...

2. Why is that?

As other have said; the logistic behind these CC would be just crazy and the evidences sorely lacking.

Not very long. I am not particularly looking for them and have very little illusions as to how productive would be any attempt at dialogues with them.

It's a toss between JFK assassination or the idea that free-masons are secretively controlling the government (my grand-father believes in this bull).

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  07:31:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

filthy said:
I first heard this one back in the '40s

Damn filthy, ya old fart!

Yeah,the Pearl Harbor conspiracy I have heard revolves around the US government having knowledge that Japan was going to attack Pearl Harbor.. days or weeks in advance, and letting it happen so they could get the votes in congress (and enough public opinion) to declare war.

Yeh. I was just a li'l skeptic then, my disbelief scarcly starting to develope.

In those days, we lived in Warm Springs, GA and my mother worked at the hospital that treated Roosevelt's polio. Thus, I remember it's beginings quite well, as she was furious over it and an outspoken woman.

Coincedently, only a few years later, I came down with polio, although I was spared almost all of the paralysis that so marks that disease.

Roosevelt was roundly hated by conservatives, mainly for the "New Deal" that got the country back on it's feet following the Depression, and the lands were rife with their lies.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  10:50:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Many, right here in these forums:The above are just a taste.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  14:20:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should add Mozina's "solid sun" crap to that list Dave_W! He seems so sure that everyone else is wrong on that topic and its a conspiracy to maintain the status quo...

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  14:39:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RMB.....

2. Why is that?
I certainly am not familiar with all of the conspiracy theories, or speculations that have received public attention over the years, but I personally suspect that few of them are "pure unadulterated bullshit"!

My guess is that there are some elements of truth in most of the major, highly controversial, widely debated theories. This is not to say that many or even any of the famous controversial theories are of significant substance; they probably are not.

But I would be greatly surprised if Hillary's "vast right wing conspiracy" was all bullshit. I would guess the same of many of the other ones in contention!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  14:59:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng... have you taken leave of your senses at last? Or maybe just forgot to take your meds?

If there is any part of "the US government is actively responsible for (9/11, pearl harbor)" that isn't complete bullshit... you should elaborate.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  15:06:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of these conspiracy theories are at least entertaining and crazy enough to be hilarious...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Edited by - Simon on 06/18/2008 15:07:20
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  15:13:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

bng... have you taken leave of your senses at last? Or maybe just forgot to take your meds?

If there is any part of "the US government is actively responsible for (9/11, pearl harbor)" that isn't complete bullshit... you should elaborate.

Well; in both case the government actively used these events to further a policy and stir the country into a direction it already wanted to take (invade Iraq; enter WWII).

I guess many CC incorporate tiny; minuscule atomic sized grains of truth somewhere in them.
Then, it all depends about how much bullshit you need in your bullshit to consider it to be 'pure unaltered bullshit'.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.