Small, but it's a start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  19:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Orac, I've just learned that the FDA has begun clamping down on quack cancer cures:
Warning Letters have been sent to 23 U.S. companies and two foreign individuals marketing a wide range of products fraudulently claiming to prevent and cure cancer, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration today. The FDA also warns North American consumers against using or purchasing the products, which include tablets, teas, tonics, black salves, and creams, and are sold under various names on the Internet.
The full list of 125 products has some oldies-but-goodies, along with much I hadn't heard of.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  03:49:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Thanks to Orac, I've just learned that the FDA has begun clamping down on quack cancer cures:
Warning Letters have been sent to 23 U.S. companies and two foreign individuals marketing a wide range of products fraudulently claiming to prevent and cure cancer, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration today. The FDA also warns North American consumers against using or purchasing the products, which include tablets, teas, tonics, black salves, and creams, and are sold under various names on the Internet.
The full list of 125 products has some oldies-but-goodies, along with much I hadn't heard of.
That's quite a list of crap! Unfortunately, all these assholes will do is change the names and reword the claims, and the suckers will continue to line up to be trimmed like they were at an Ozzie sheep-shearing. And some won't survive it. And, of course, the shutting down of the quacks will be thought of as the Government supporting Big Pharmaceutical and quashing the "little guy." Sadly, when you place political contributions into the equation, there is some basis to the concept.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  05:20:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The case has no weight as long as they don't crack down on the industry as a whole, there are many things besides cancer that they can claim to cure/prevent.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  05:51:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

The case has no weight as long as they don't crack down on the industry as a whole, there are many things besides cancer that they can claim to cure/prevent.
That's true, and it ain't gonna happen because they'd have to go after chiropractors, acupuncturists, faith healers, miracle diets, and all the rest of the homeopathic bullshitters as well.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  07:05:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

That's true, and it ain't gonna happen because...
Because the FDA and FTC both are purposefully and tragically underfunded, and so cannot implement their full mandate of policing the marketplace. 1994's DSHEA also hamstrung them both regarding supplements.
...they'd have to go after chiropractors, acupuncturists, faith healers, miracle diets, and all the rest of the homeopathic bullshitters as well.
The homeopaths are actually protected by law, thanks to a homeopath Congressman back in 1936 or so who made sure that everything in the homeopathic Materia Medica is considered legal. Oh, and the faith healers will scream about the First Amendment if a finger is laid on them by anyone in authority. But the others are fair game.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  07:21:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the others are fair game.

Nope all they have to do is list Faith as an active ingredient.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  07:26:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Nope all they have to do is list Faith as an active ingredient.
That'll work about as well as "your honor, it's a tenet of my faith to drive 85 in a 45 zone" - not at all.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  11:52:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Great. There goes my retirement...

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.