Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  13:57:28  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is a continuation of Darwin's Debt to Christianity

A summary thus far:
no1nose is full of hot air and blowing off any attempt at constructive criticism. He even refuses to explain or show evidence that his premisis are sound.
If no1nose was playing a game, he'd be a dodgeball master.

Hey no1, the ball is in your court. Will you please stop tripping over it, and start playing?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

no1nose
BANNED

50 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  15:03:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send no1nose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your kind introduction. May I ask you how it feels to live in a country named after a root vegetable?

Who can tell me what county in south America is named after a vegetable?

I would like to get the discussion going with this short piece.

Most cultures have heroes and superheroes that in some way characterize the culture they come from. Of all the pop culture heroes that I know of, I find Superman and Dr Who the most interesting. The reason for this is that they both assume their superhero roles by stepping out of a phone booth. Lately I see superman has given up on the practice but once it was the phone booth where the man of steel changed into his superman outfit. Dr. Who's phone booth is much more important and serves also as a time machine by which he travels through time to save the world.

Superman is almost immortal and Dr Who can travel though time but it is the phone booth that catches my curiosity. Why a phone booth? Actually the idea of superheroes emerging from booths to save the world is an ancient one. In the Gospels there is the story of the Transfiguration in which the disciple Peter offers to build booths for Jesus, Moses and Elijah. These booths were small shelters made of branches and then adorned with objects that represented parts of the body such as eyes and ears. The Jewish people would camp out in these booths for seven days during the Feast of Booths or Tabernacles. These shelters came to symbolize the bodies that the righteous who would come out to establish God's Kingdom.

At the Transfiguration Peter offered to make these booths because he thought that special day has come. The Transfiguration was an event that made an enormous impression on people at that time. To the early church it was truly an extraordinary event of great importance. It is one of the few miracles mentioned in the gospels that are referred to by an Apostle in his writings. Here is how Peter would later refer to this event:

For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. For He received from God the Father honour and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
2 Peter 1:16-18

But as time passed the memory of what happened faded. And today scholars are puzzled by the Biblical account and don't know quite what to make of it. Scholars pretty much agree that the Transfiguration is a demonstration of Jesus' divinity. Jesus was attempting to teach the disciples that he must die and the transfiguration was meant to strengthen them and help them get through the shattering event. What puzzles the scholars are the details of the account that raise more questions than answers.

At the Transfiguration Jesus takes Peter, James and John up a high mountain and is “transfigured” before them shining brightly. While this is happening God speaks from a cloud and Moses and Elijah appear and met with Jesus. The story of the transfiguration is found in Matthew, Mark and Luke's gospels. Here is the account from Mark:

Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up on a high mountain apart by themselves; and He was transfigured before them. His clothes became shining, exceedingly white, like snow, such as no launderer on earth can whiten them. And Elijah appeared to them with Moses, and they were talking with Jesus. Then Peter answered and said to Jesus, "Rabbi, it is good for us to be here; and let us make three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah” - because he did not know what to say, for they were greatly afra
Edited by - no1nose on 06/20/2008 15:04:20
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  15:55:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  16:57:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by no1nose

No, you wouldn't. "Discussion" isn't on your agenda.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

no1nose
BANNED

50 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  17:01:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send no1nose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something would have eaten them at some point anyway.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  17:16:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thank you for your kind introduction. May I ask you how it feels to live in a country named after a root vegetable?

Who can tell me what county in south America is named after a vegetable?

Most cultures have heroes and superheroes that in some way characterize the culture they come from. Of all the pop culture heroes that I know of, I find Superman and Dr Who the most interesting. The reason for this is that they both assume their superhero roles by stepping out of a phone booth. Lately I see superman has given up on the practice but once it was the phone booth where the man of steel changed into his superman outfit. Dr. Who's phone booth is much more important and serves also as a time machine by which he travels through time to save the world.

<CHOP!>

The "place" where the transfiguration took place is both Galilee and at Mount Sinai since Moses encounters God on Mount Sinai and the disciples went up a mountain with Jesus in Galilee. At the time that the Transfiguration account was written the qualities of light that makes these things possible were unknown. The fact that they are represented with such concise accuracy is a testimony to the truthfulness of the account. The Transfiguration is a three dimensional view of the super dimensional kingdom of God. It shows Jesus as Lord over time and space. He is God and as such he is not the subject of creation but the master of it.
Too fucking long! Why the hell can't you do us a brief summery & put up a link like any reasonable person would? Yeesh!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

no1nose
BANNED

50 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  18:19:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send no1nose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too long! Why the hell can't you do us a brief summery & put up a link like any reasonable person would? Yeesh!

Ok, "Einstien Got His Clues from Jesus".

The South Amercian country named after a vegetable is of course Chile. Sorry none of you guys got it.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  18:31:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Too long! Why the hell can't you do us a brief summery & put up a link like any reasonable person would? Yeesh!

The South Amercian country named after a vegetable is of course Chile. Sorry none of you guys got it.
Very good, indeed, excellent. But you forgot to give reference. I'm sure that's merely an oversite....

Chili, huh? Hmph. That shoulda been easy.... Ok, what celestial object is that named after Poseidon?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  18:43:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... Jesus was actually Superman travelling through time?

Also; Dr Who's is not a phone booth!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  19:16:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Support your assertions. No one is interested in your stupid apologetics.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  19:17:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Is that your whole schtick? So-and-so got his ideas from some Christian thing or other based on stuff you make up? What a yawner.
Except that you didn't get it, either:
Despite the country's mapped shape resembling a chili pepper, the name of this plant bears no relation to Chile, the country, which is named after the Quechua chin ("cold"), tchili ("snow"), or chilli ("where the land ends"). Chile is one of the Spanish-speaking countries where chilis are known as ají, a word of Taíno origin.
Simple fact checking: you're doing it wrong.

And no, Brazil wasn't named after the Brazil nut, either.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

no1nose
BANNED

50 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  19:39:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send no1nose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And no, Brazil wasn't named after the Brazil nut, either.

Thanks

Are you a fan?

Ok, what celestial object is that named after Poseidon?

Nepture?

Support your assertions

Read the text of my first post.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  20:57:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your first post is nothing but an unsupported assertion. If you fail to grasp that, there is little point in continuing speaking to you.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  21:17:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Are you a fan?

I am, albeit an amateurish one (I should definitively get to it more seriously).
But enough to know that the TARDIS is a Police Box.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Edited by - Simon on 06/20/2008 21:18:02
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  21:21:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Einstein received a Nobel Prize for showing that light behaves like a particle. He received a second Nobel Prize for his Theory of Relativity.
Simple fact checking: you're doing it wrong. Einstein never won a Nobel for Relativity, nor did he ever win a second Nobel at all.
In the 100 years since this was discovered scientists are still unable to explain this paradox.
Still doing it wrong.
This is good evidence that account was not something that was made up.
So much for logic.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

no1nose
BANNED

50 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  21:43:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send no1nose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simple fact checking: you're doing it wrong. Einstein never won a Nobel for Relativity, nor did he ever win a second Nobel at all.

Quick check show that you are right here. My apologies.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.