Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  07:35:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did I?
;)

But yeah, that seems like what the law says. And yet, I am pretty sure that there is a few Buddhists/Hindus floating around in office...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  07:47:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hank Johnson from Georgia and Mazie Hirono from Hawaii are Buddhists.

I don't expect Hawaii to have too restrictive laws but Georgia might.

(I found this information there. It's amusing on one of the senator put 'vegan' in his religious affiliations...
Also, we might have a few closet atheists, especially Tammy Baldwin that mentions GLBT as his religious affiliation (that's funny in its own right).

*Edit to fix tab*

Also, I just checked Wikipedia pageout of idle curiosity and I have to say Go miss Baldwin!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Edited by - Simon on 07/09/2008 07:54:10
Go to Top of Page

Jumbo

24 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  08:33:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Jumbo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Georgia seems ok actually:
Paragraph IV. Religious opinions; freedom of religion. No inhabitant of this state shall be molested in person or property or be prohibited from holding any public office or trust on account of religious opinions;

http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/conart1.htm

It says religious opinions rather than that you have to have a religion so it doesn't seem to bar atheists in the way a few others do.

Hawaii doesn't seem to mention religion at all in its regulations on eligability for office.

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be lighted
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  10:57:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I was not expecting Hawaii to, as it was added to the Union relatively late and has always been mixed in term of the religions it harbour.

But the conservative Georgia do surprise me. Good surprise too.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  20:23:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something in my mind says that even though these exist, that they are effectively useless due to SCOTUS rulings. East coast. Atheist Notary Public. Can't remember the case.

Knew I remembered it.

TORCASO v. WATKINS, 367 U.S. 488 (1961)

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=CASE&court=US&vol=367&page=488

This caused many states with pre-existing religious tests in their constitutions to re-write them.

Some states chose not to due to cost. Those provisions, like deeds with language forbiding sale to a negro, are held to be unenforceable acts.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  02:51:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Miscegenation, what an unusual word. The term "crime against nature" seem suspect as I don't think they had Superfund in mind. Moral turpitude and the "any crime punishable by imprisonment in the penitentiary" thing are also suspect, who knows what was illegal back then.

In this this case, "crimes against nature" stands for any consensual, sexual act other than heterosexual intercourse and quite possibly the missionary position only. That would include masturbation. Pretty up-tight, those constitutional framers -- everything they didn't agree with was "immoral" and therefore made illegal. Heh, I am reminded that there were no interstate rest areas nor airport bathrooms back in the day.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.