Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  23:45:39  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This billboard speaks for itself.

Now anyone remember who was in the white house when the 911 attacks happened?

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  00:55:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy frack, that's bad...I'm starting to see why you had said that canadians were smarter than americans, but really, the americans just let their religous right get too much power and voice. Whether that's indicative of the population in general, I don't know; there's a lot of people in the States who don't like the repugs either.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  04:26:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simply put, they've finally worn out that kind of lying song, through repetition. I'm reminded of Joe McCarthy, with his increasingly complex web of lies falling apart in the Army-McCarthy Hearings, which I watched on TV as a kid.

This would have been equally valid, had it been a real billboard:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  04:35:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meehan's song, which appears to have racist overtones, begins, "The Democrat secular progressive move, political correctness is killing us too. They want to take the money from the hard working man, and give it to the lazy folks that don't give a damn."
Correct me if I'm wrong, but has not the current crop of Republican psuedo-leaders in the government done just exactly that?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/16/2008 13:41:44
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  12:50:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best possible thing concerning that repugnant billboard is the fact that it is significantly replacing the New Yorker blunder on TV, but with extremely strong negative commentary accompaning the image.

MSNBC has already placed it six times (as of noon) and I've seen on on CNN (being called a "hate message" as it is shown.) Wide TV distribution accompanied by voice commentary describing it as "disgusting" and similar derogations will probably be a plus for the Democrats!

At least I hope so! In Texas and much of the South, the exact opposite may be true!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  13:40:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

The best possible thing concerning that repugnant billboard is the fact that it is significantly replacing the New Yorker blunder on TV, but with extremely strong negative commentary accompaning the image.

MSNBC has already placed it six times (as of noon) and I've seen on on CNN (being called a "hate message" as it is shown.) Wide TV distribution accompanied by voice commentary describing it as "disgusting" and similar derogations will probably be a plus for the Democrats!

At least I hope so! In Texas and much of the South, the exact opposite may be true!
The times they are a'changin'. I don't think that shit like this will float for much longer. Unfortunatly, depending on how you look at it, the dorks in the Republican leadership(?) are too stupid to realize it.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  06:17:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vote Republican or the Terrorist will Get You! They got a LOT of mileage out of that horse, I wonder if it's finally dead. People respond to fear - is 9/11 far enough in the past that it won't get votes for Republicans anymore?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  07:21:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Vote Republican or the Terrorist will Get You! They got a LOT of mileage out of that horse, I wonder if it's finally dead. People respond to fear - is 9/11 far enough in the past that it won't get votes for Republicans anymore?
"It's the ecomomy, stupid!" Or perhaps it's the stupid economy given us by the corpor-political, greed-fueled & vacuum-brained blackguards that we were stupid enough to allow into office. Impeach, charge, then try & fry the bastards!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  09:52:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by chaloobi

"It's the ecomomy, stupid!" Or perhaps it's the stupid economy given us by the corpor-political, greed-fueled & vacuum-brained blackguards that we were stupid enough to allow into office. Impeach, charge, then try & fry the bastards!

Too late to impeach, so they say, but I'd be up for charges after they leave office. I'd like to see the administration so adept at avoiding accountability be held accountable. It may be the best chance the US has at regaining something like it's former moral authority and leadership role in geopolitics.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  14:44:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by bngbuck

The times they are a'changin'. I don't think that shit like this will float for much longer. Unfortunatly, depending on how you look at it, the dorks in the Republican leadership(?) are too stupid to realize it.

I suspect the GOP has little choice right now.

Though the nation itself is avidly throwing out the NeoCons and their fundy-plutocrat coalition, there has yet not arisen a force within the Republican Party anything near strong enough to oust the NeoCons from their party domination. It will probably take years for such a force (resurgent Goldwater-style "PaleoCons," maybe?) to find leadership and fight the internicine war that they will need to win in order to control that party. Their day will come, but not soon.

So far, I see little of such leaders, or of such a movement. Meanwhile, the GOP will continue to dwindle in real power, still basing itself upon a now-failed alliance of convenience between the greedy rich and power-hungry, pious prophets.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/17/2008 14:45:27
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  23:41:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic
This billboard speaks for itself.

Now anyone remember who was in the white house when the 911 attacks happened?

Sure, everyone knows who was in office, but the belief is that the attacks were emboldened by certain limp-wristed responses to previous attacks. Jimmy Carter's ineffectual handling of the Iran hostage crisis, Clinton's failure to respond to the attack on the USS Cole, Clinton's withdrawing of forces from Somalia after the Battle of Mogadishu, and the nothing response to the bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993.

I personally would respond to such a critic that perhaps the US withdrawal from Lebanon after the attack on the Marine barracks on Reagan's watch also belongs on that list too, but he's remembered for sneaking funds to the Contras, playing chicken with Gorbachev and dropping a few bombs here and there in Libya, so I guess he gets a pass.

But back to the billboard...

What's the big deal? A guy has an opinion, he fronts the money for a billboard to express the opinion. The opinion itself is somewhat simplistic, but it's not entirely without merit. Lots of people do believe that with stronger responses to the above mentioned incidents OBL might never received the funding and recruits that he has and might never have been emboldened enough to attempt 9/11.

Is this representative of how low "rethuglicans" can go? No, he's just one man with a billboard and a website expressing an opinion. He doesn't seem to represent anyone but himself.

Personally, I think the guy who makes up cutsey playground names like "rethuglicans" debases political discourse a lot more than a guy with a billboard does.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  07:12:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mycroft said:
What's the big deal? A guy has an opinion, he fronts the money for a billboard to express the opinion. The opinion itself is somewhat simplistic, but it's not entirely without merit. Lots of people do believe that with stronger responses to the above mentioned incidents OBL might never received the funding and recruits that he has and might never have been emboldened enough to attempt 9/11.

So... there is no chance that Ronny Raygun's ultra-confrontational, regime changing, ally of Saddam, IN YOUR FACE style of foreign policy, and Bill Clinton's shooting cruise missiles at Binladen(the thing which our own experts say gave the man credibility and influence) is what is responsible for much of the middle east crisis? That, combined with the dumbest president in the history of presidents....

But really, back to the topic, the billboard in question is absurd. Its an outright lie, in fact, because it makes the claim that one political party is responsible for the biggest attack ever on US soil.

If you are OK with that, then you'd have to be OK with 'Mooner's billboard going up someplace as well.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  21:15:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude
So... there is no chance that Ronny Raygun's ultra-confrontational, regime changing, ally of Saddam, IN YOUR FACE style of foreign policy, and Bill Clinton's shooting cruise missiles at Binladen(the thing which our own experts say gave the man credibility and influence) is what is responsible for much of the middle east crisis? That, combined with the dumbest president in the history of presidents....

Is there a chance? Of course there is, and many people have opinions closer to yours than to those of the guy who paid for the billboard.

Keep in mind that being able to understand and describe a political position doesn't necessarily mean agreement with that position.

But really, back to the topic, the billboard in question is absurd. Its an outright lie, in fact, because it makes the claim that one political party is responsible for the biggest attack ever on US soil.

I don't see that the billboard makes that claim.

Certainly when so much of the message is conveyed through imagery, a great deal of interpretation is left up to the viewer. I think the only thing the billboard says definitively is that it's better to have Republicans in office then Democrats when dealing with terrorists.

Arguable? Certainly, but that doesn't make the person bad for expressing his opinion.

If you are OK with that, then you'd have to be OK with 'Mooner's billboard going up someplace as well.

Yes, I am a proponent of free speech. If HalfMooner wanted to pay for his billboard, I certainly wouldn't object it. If I disagreed with the message of his billboard, I really hope my response would be more enlightened than to just make up a playground name to call him and then to disparage everyone in his political party even though HalfMooner was the only one actually responsible for the billboard.

I think it should be possible to disagree with someone without calling them evil or stupid.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  06:08:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mycroft said:
I think it should be possible to disagree with someone without calling them evil or stupid.

Yeah, but a billboard accusing democrats of killing 3000+ US citizens doesn't meet your criteria for calling someone evil?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  07:21:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The billboard is misleading at best, and clearly demonstrates the worst in American politics. Mike Meehan is an asshole for putting it up. But to be fair, if a Democrat were to put up 'Mooner's sly bit of art work, he too, would be an asshole and worthy of no more moral high ground than Meehan.

Personal opinion: 'Mooner's comes a lot closer to the mark than Meehan's.

It is intersting to note that:
Meehan's website, TheRepublicanSong.com, at which he says, "I claim to be a man of God" and promotes his political song and video.
He can claim to be whatever he wants, but he's still, to repeat, an asshole.

I find myself reminded that Bush had ample warning that something involving aircraft was going to come down and ignored it. To paraphrase Condi Rice: "Who would have thought commercial aircraft would be used?"

You should have, bitch! It was part of your fucking job!

Then Bush, with the whole world supporting him, even including myself, blew his chance for greatness. He all but abandoned the hunt for bin Laden and went to Iraq on a series of outright lies, many of them probably premeditated. Had he finished the job in Afganistan, I am convinced that Al Qaida would be no more than a foul memory; an offensive grease spot on one of the footnotes of history. And Bush would have been lauded as the greatest leader of modern times instead of exactly the opposite.

WWGHD, eh?

To get back on track, anyone who buys into Meehan's tripe is an idiot. But alas, the country is filled with that sort of idiot and many will just love it. But y'know, there seems to be fewer of them than there was some 7+ years back....

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/23/2008 07:25:27
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  09:50:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but a billboard accusing democrats of killing 3000+ US citizens doesn't meet your criteria for calling someone evil?

The billboard doesn't say that. That's what you read into it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.