Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  12:24:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

On a similar note... I heard yesterday about a similar boycott and for similar reason against Disney.
That pathetic whine has been going on for years. From June 18, 1997:
DALLAS (CNN) -- Leaders of the Southern Baptists, the nation's largest Protestant denomination, voted Wednesday to boycott Walt Disney Co. and its subsidiaries for what it called the company's "anti-Christian and anti-family direction."

The boycott includes the company's films and theme parks and its television network, ABC.

An overwhelming majority of delegates voted in favor of the measure at the Southern Baptist Convention, an annual meeting held by the denomination. The vote is not binding for the nation's 15 million Southern Baptist members.
I have a question: what the hell, exactly, is the "gay agenda" that these super-religious echo-heads blather about so stridently? I keep hearing about it, but no one seems to want to come out and state what it is. Do they even know?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  14:10:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You did not know? The gayz are trying to convince us that they actually are real people!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  16:18:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Listen, I have been gay forever, out for about 15 years, in a committed relationship for 11, and married for three...when is someone gonna send me a copy of the homosexual agenda?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  16:57:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chefcrsh

Listen, I have been gay forever, out for about 15 years, in a committed relationship for 11, and married for three...when is someone gonna send me a copy of the homosexual agenda?
Shoot, we was hoping that you could tell us. If you should get one, please post it. At the moment, it seems to be no more than a neo-con fantasy and I'd really hate to accuse them of lying. Oh, wait, no I wouldn't. I do it all the time. I like calling them liars and plan to do a lot more of it in the future.

Ah, my hypocrisy is boundless, but no where near that of their own.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  18:18:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the McDonald's "healthy" issue.

Not really true. While I rarely have partaken of the Mac Attack, the food there is generally no more or less "healthy" than in any other restaurant.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  19:20:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every year, there is a fireman selling calendars... He says it's for their good work; but I am unto him.
The Fireman is in reality a member of the village people and he is selling copies of the homosexual agenda!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  20:23:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not really true. While I rarely have partaken of the Mac Attack, the food there is generally no more or less "healthy" than in any other restaurant.

Yes I've never understood that either. Are their burgers worse than others'? Or is it that burgers in general are bad?

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  20:39:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Maverick

Yes I've never understood that either. Are their burgers worse than others'? Or is it that burgers in general are bad?

One thing I heard is that their fries are fried in animal oil. So, it helps with the taste but the greases are more saturated...

Also, it is possible that all burgers are essentially as bad and Mickey D is the most prominent among these companies...

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  01:41:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not true on the oil. Since the 1970's McDonalds uses pure vegetable oil. Prior to the 70's nearly all deep frying in any restaurant was done with lard, same with baking. And in fact a burger can be a fairly well balanced rounded meal. Not a Wagyu burger with foie gras maybe, but a lean 4 ounce ground beef patty with a bun and salad vegetables (like a McD's Big-n-Tasty) may be more nutritionally balanced than many other restaurant meals. The culture of hype and fear has demonized fast food far beyond what it deserves or what is reasonable.

In fact, just to prove it (and wassisname who did "Supersizeme" wrong) there have been several who have taken up a low cal low fat on McDonald's only diet, and lost significant weight doing so.

Don't get sucked into the hype that it and its food is some global boogie-person. It is not true or verifiable.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal/nutrition_ingredients.html

Edited to use actual McD's names and add link
Edited by - chefcrsh on 10/20/2008 01:48:39
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  02:27:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't eaten a store-boughten burger of any sort in years. I find them of low quality. Back when I was driving, I once stopped in and had an Egg McMuffin, and couldn't eat it. That thing was just too greasy, even for a southerner.

There is one dish I like, though: their biscuit & gravy. I sometimes drop by & order it from the take-out window. From there, I carry it home, throw in some extra black pepper and a healthy shot of Tabasco, and re-heat it in the nuke. It ain't too shabby. Otherwise, I avoid all of the production line burger joints.

There is another point in their disfavor: if my reading is correct, much if not all of their beef comes from South America, where rain forest is being cleared at an alarming rate to raise cheap beef on the land. They cut the lungs out if the world for a Quarter-Pounder with cheese.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  05:15:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I got no qualms with avoiding any food though personal preference, but I try to provide a measure of skepticism to people making fact claims to support preference.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  07:00:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, Chef, thanks for the info.

When you say a diet using McDonald product, are we talking eating their burgers or eating their 'healthy alternatives'; salads and such?

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  07:28:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not true on the oil. Since the 1970's McDonalds uses pure vegetable oil. Prior to the 70's nearly all deep frying in any restaurant was done with lard, same with baking. And in fact a burger can be a fairly well balanced rounded meal. Not a Wagyu burger with foie gras maybe, but a lean 4 ounce ground beef patty with a bun and salad vegetables (like a McD's Big-n-Tasty) may be more nutritionally balanced than many other restaurant meals. The culture of hype and fear has demonized fast food far beyond what it deserves or what is reasonable.

In fact, just to prove it (and wassisname who did "Supersizeme" wrong) there have been several who have taken up a low cal low fat on McDonald's only diet, and lost significant weight doing so.

Don't get sucked into the hype that it and its food is some global boogie-person. It is not true or verifiable.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal/nutrition_ingredients.html

Edited to use actual McD's names and add link

Hmm, now I gotta boycott homosexuals for not staying out of the nutritional culture wars!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  08:21:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Indeed, Chef, thanks for the info.

When you say a diet using McDonald product, are we talking eating their burgers or eating their 'healthy alternatives'; salads and such?

From what I have read it was mixed bag, some burgers or such but the key was caloric restriction and to do so more healthy options than big macs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8916080/
Edited by - chefcrsh on 10/20/2008 08:23:23
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  09:47:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmm, now I gotta boycott homosexuals for not staying out of the nutritional culture wars!

Lol, as they say.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.