New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  05:09:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by chaloobi

He's trying to move that Overton Window away from medical funding to help people with Autistic children, and like diseases no doubt. (Thanks guys for putting a name to the concept). Indeed, it's probably much broader - move the window in US culture away from compassion toward people in need. Monstrous.
Towards poeple in need? Probably towards "we all pay less in taxes."
Because helping people in need costs money and the government gets that money from taxes. Reduce the taxes by changing the mindset of people away from giving a shit about the needy so they won't allow/demand the government to help them. He's going after the root cause.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  05:11:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

It ain't gonna happen but I like seeing them try. If nothing else, it'll give Savage (nee' Weiner, if what I've read is correct) bit of discomfort.
The radio program of conservative "shock jock" Michael Savage has been canceled by one Mississippi network following his controversial claim that autism is almost always the result of "a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out."

"They don't have a father around to tell them, 'Don't act like a moron," Savage went on during his July 16 broadcast. "You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. ... Don't act like a girl. Don't cry."

If that isn't the spit & image of a putz, and a pathetic one, tell me what is...

He looks like an asshole too.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  07:11:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loosely related to the fairness doctrine discussion - in a brief moment of listening to WJR, the local conservative mouthpiece, I heard in what was supposed to be a news cast that John McCain said in a campaign speech that the price of oil was dropping because Bush repealed the ban on off shore drilling. No actual quote, no audio of the speech, just that simple absurd statement. And that's 'news.'

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 07/24/2008 07:12:15
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  08:07:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of dieases, has anyone given this any thought? Is there anyone here who has had break-bone aside from myself?

Now, back to topic. The Savage Weiner seems to have allowed his flapping mandible & tongue, with no assistance from his brain, created something of a problem for himself; indeed, a series of them.

Putz!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/24/2008 08:10:09
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  08:27:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't even know what break-bone is, and I'm guessing I don't want to find out either.... Anyway, the frustrating thing is that the denier tactic that warming is happening but it's natural, not man made, nullifies any of these warnings. We can't do anything about it, so oh well, make more pesticides. Ugh.

Oh this quote is great:

He appealed for sympathy by telling listeners of his brain-damaged brother, Jerome, who died at 20 in a Staten Island "snake pit" hospital without ever having spoken a word.

"Maybe, after all these years, this silent brother can speak up in defense of his brother," Savage said. "I know firsthand what it's like to have a child suffer in front of your eyes. I have spent my entire life in the defense of children."

As a child, Savage said, he obsessively lined up his shoes and counted the bathroom tiles. He claimed that he might be labeled autistic today, when he instead became "a genius."

What a piece of shit playing a sympathy card after being so absolutely callous to so many people. Milking his dead brother like that - fucking shameless.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 07/24/2008 08:33:55
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  11:33:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's dengue fever, 'loobi, so named due to the teeth-grinding pain it produces in it's suffer's joints. It's a tropical disease vectored by mosquitos, and as the climate warms, that vector, among others, will expand it's range north accordingly. And y'know what? It won't make a particle of difference what the cause of the warming is, the bone-breaker'll be a'comin'. And he'll bring friends.

What a piece of shit playing a sympathy card after being so absolutely callous to so many people. Milking his dead brother like that - fucking shameless.
Shameless, but typical of the genre: if you're on the recieving end of a determined attack, play for sympathy. The right wing dipshits will weep for you and howl about how you're being so unfairly persecuted. The radio stations love it, and thus, you will keep your job.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  12:13:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It won't make a particle of difference what the cause of the warming is, the bone-breaker'll be a'comin'. And he'll bring friends.[quote]

You had that? Were there permanent effects? As far as causes, the difference is in whether anybody tries to do anything to stop it. Looks like mosquito targeting pesticides may be another investment opportunity, right along with companies that build levees.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  13:19:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It won't make a particle of difference what the cause of the warming is, the bone-breaker'll be a'comin'. And he'll bring friends.[quote]

You had that? Were there permanent effects? As far as causes, the difference is in whether anybody tries to do anything to stop it. Looks like mosquito targeting pesticides may be another investment opportunity, right along with companies that build levees.
Yeh, caught it in either Venesuala or Brazil -- we hit two ports in a week in the general lattitude. Nothing permenant, that I know of, but it was weeks before the last of the aches & joint stiffness left me and occasional nauseua too, stayed with me for a while. I lost nearly 30 pounds that, at the time, I could ill-afford. And then, it was a long time before I was really as fit as I should have been. Dengue's a bitch, It can and has been fatal.

The first thing to do is to clean up our act and try and slow the warming down. Then get ready for it. Never forget, evolution never sleeps, and the disease and it's vector can & will adapt.

However, I've no doubt that the likes of Limbaugh, Coulter, Dembski, and the putz under discussion here, present and future, will do all that they can to hamper any constructive effort. Add that to corporate foot-dragging, international non-cooperation, "the Will of God" nonsense and the deluded who refuse to believe it under any circumstances, and we're screwed. Too bad, really. I thought we were a pretty good species in spite of the putz portion of the population.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/24/2008 16:49:38
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  14:04:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeh, caught it in either Venesuala or Brazil -- we hit two ports in a week in the general lattitude. Nothing perminent, that I know of, but it was weeks before the last of the aches & joint stiffness left me and occasional nauseua too, stayed with me for a while. I lost nearly 30 pounds that, at the time, I could ill-afford. And then, it was a long time before I was really as fit as I should have been. Dengue's a bitch, It can and has and can be fatal.

The first thing to do is to clean up our act and try and slow the warming down. Then get ready for it. Never forget, evolution never sleeps, and the disease and it's vector can & will adapt.

However, I've no doubt that the likes of Limbaugh, Coulter, Dembski, and the putz under discussion here, present and future, will do all that they can to hamper any constructive effort. Add that to corporate foot-dragging, international non-cooperation, "the Will of God" nonsense and the deluded who refuse to believe it under any circumstances, and we're screwed. Too bad, really. I thought we were a pretty good species in spite of the putz portion of the population.

Ah, dengue, old friend, ancient nightmare; it is fatal, especially in young children, if it goes untreated. Very serious. Stagnant water helps the mosquito reproduce, so we are encouraged to get rid of any possible source of stagnant water. It is transmitted by an specific species of mosquito, apparently, Aedes aegypti or something like that.

I wonder if they would sing the Will of God line when under the full effects of one of the most dangerous strains of dengue. Mm.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  16:05:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

Yeh, caught it in either Venesuala or Brazil -- we hit two ports in a week in the general lattitude. Nothing permenent, that I know of, but it was weeks before the last of the aches & joint stiffness left me and occasional nauseua too, stayed with me for a while. I lost nearly 30 pounds that, at the time, I could ill-afford. And then, it was a long time before I was really as fit as I should have been. Dengue's a bitch, It can and has and can be fatal.

Ah, dengue, old friend, ancient nightmare; it is fatal, especially in young children, if it goes untreated. Very serious. Stagnant water helps the mosquito reproduce, so we are encouraged to get rid of any possible source of stagnant water. It is transmitted by an specific species of mosquito, apparently, Aedes aegypti or something like that.

I wonder if they would sing the Will of God line when under the full effects of one of the most dangerous strains of dengue. Mm.
Really, there are a couple of species of the Aedes genera: A. aegypti and A. albopictus -- I had to look that up. I'm good but not that good.

Believe me, Si, they won't sing much of anything -- at least nothing coherent -- once dengue settles in and makes itself at home. It also vastly improves the long-term memory, albeit on a single, somewhat blurry topic.

As a child, I had polio and if today I had to choose between that and the bone-breaker, I'd not even have to think about it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds.