New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Im Cool Trust Me

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  04:31:47  Show Profile Send Im Cool Trust Me a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7525060.stm

I can't wait for the DNA analysis. Something tells me I'll never read about it though.

Dig your claws into my organs! Stretch into my tendons! Bury your anchors into my bones!

"Force, my friends, is violence: the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived. Naked force has resolved more issues throughout history than any other means. The common thinking, that violence never solves anything, is wishful thinking at it's worst! People who forget that always pay."

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  04:48:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Im Cool Trust Me

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7525060.stm

I can't wait for the DNA analysis. Something tells me I'll never read about it though.
Heh, yeah. This is not the first hair or feces or, hell, I dunno, toenail clippings maybe, to get the Bigfoot crypto-enthusiasts all hot & bothered & intellectualy sweaty. I too, am looking forward to the analysis, albeit with only casual curiosity.

But wouldn't it be marvelous if the tests actually, if not confirmed at least pointed toward an unknown species of mammal? Indeed it would!

But I don't see it happening, at least not with a giant primate.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/04/2008 04:53:17
Go to Top of Page

Coat Of Arms
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  05:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Coat Of Arms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The discovery along with the DNA analysis results normally cause me to experience an Ice cream freeze headache.

Paul C.
Go to Top of Page

Im Cool Trust Me

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  14:14:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Im Cool Trust Me a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/080813-bigfoot-sighting.html

oooh, this is gonna be good

Dig your claws into my organs! Stretch into my tendons! Bury your anchors into my bones!

"Force, my friends, is violence: the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived. Naked force has resolved more issues throughout history than any other means. The common thinking, that violence never solves anything, is wishful thinking at it's worst! People who forget that always pay."
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  15:26:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Indeed. Here we go again, this time funnier'n the last time -- can't wait for the next time!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  15:38:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Indeed. Here we go again, this time funnier'n the last time -- can't wait for the next time!

Absolutely! If this turns out to be anything but a hoax, filthy can eat my hat!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  17:32:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think your hat is safe enough. I'm very curious to see what the gaff is.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  12:37:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Predictably:

"Bigfoot still out there, despite hoax video PRINT FRIENDLY EMAIL STORY
PM - Friday, 15 August , 2008 18:48:00
Reporter: Jesse Leary

MARK COLVIN: August in the Northern Hemisphere is known in the news trade as the silly season, often marked by sightings of such creatures as the Loch Ness Monster and the Abominable Snowman.

Today's media sensation has been a reported finding of Bigfoot in the United States.

But there's already been an admission that part of the evidence offered was fake.

Despite scepticism there are still those who say Bigfoot exists.

Jesse Leary reports

JESSE LEARY: The existence of an ape-like creature known as Bigfoot has been the subject amongst people who believe in cryptozoology for decades.

Last month, two men in the United States, Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer, said they had discovered the body of a Bigfoot-like creature in the southern state of Georgia.

They posted a photo of their find on the Internet and even had a scientist fly in from interstate to examine the corpse.

Dr Paul Van Buren told the pair in an interview published online, that he had never seen anything like it before.

(Extract from Internet interview)

PAUL VAN BUREN: I don't even know what to say, you know. I've been all over the world studying primates and I don't even know what category this thing falls into. I mean, it's obviously a male, we looked at a very, very large primate male. It doesn't fit into any of the taxonomic groups that I can think of. Unbelievable.

JESSE LEARY: But the pair have since admitted that their scientist was fake, and none other than Matthew Whitton's brother, Martin."

Bolding mine own.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/15/2008 12:39:18
Go to Top of Page

Im Cool Trust Me

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  19:02:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Im Cool Trust Me a Private Message  Reply with Quote

see also

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN1544880720080815

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  19:36:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These dipshits have made it onto primetime television, at leasst on the cable news channels.... proving that cable news is little more than a fucking useless tabloid.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  19:44:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

It's just a picture of bigfoot-in-mouth Phil (sorry) Gramm taking a nap!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  04:17:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

These dipshits have made it onto primetime television, at leasst on the cable news channels.... proving that cable news is little more than a fucking useless tabloid.

It's made it on to network as well and ABC had a picture of it in it's cooler. Piss-poor picture, but I noted that it's teeth were pearly white; not at all yellowed. I couldn't make out what it might be made from, though. My first thought was that it might be part of a black bear -- the coat looked about right -- but I dunno. Could also be a large, hairy dog.

It is a sad comment on our national news that they give this crap any space at all, let alone treat it as a genuine discovery.

Heh, the other day, ABC showed footage taken by a TX sheriff's deputy's dashboard camera of a very mangy coyote and, with the electronic version of a straight face, called it a blood-sucking chupaburrito, or whatever the hell the ridiculous thing is supposed to be. Yeesh!

I watch an hour of local ABC news each evening and I'm beginning to get the feeling that I'm wasting an hour.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  09:06:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watch an hour of local ABC news each evening and I'm beginning to get the feeling that I'm wasting an hour.

Ya think?

Michelle and I sometimes watch local news for the same reason we would watch an Ed Wood film. Bad to the point of funny.

I still recommend "The News Hour" on your local PBS station if you want anything close to what network news used to be. You know, not stupid...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  05:40:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Ya think?

Michelle and I sometimes watch local news for the same reason we would watch an Ed Wood film. Bad to the point of funny.

I still recommend "The News Hour" on your local PBS station if you want anything close to what network news used to be. You know, not stupid...
Eh, I mainly watch it to find out who shot/cut whom and am I aquainted with either. Alas, I don't get PBS in very well.

Heigh-ho! I didn't predict this, but could/should have.
The Bigfoot press conference and the art of selling a website
Posted by Chris Matyszczyk 15 commentsWhat was most revealing about today's exhilarating and highly truthful Bigfoot press conference was not what was said.

It was the headgear.

Emblazoned with the a URL that sold their own Bigfoot tracking enterprise, the baseball caps worn by Matthew Whitton (aka Gary Parker) and Rick Dyer said so very much.

Their words on MSNBC's Countdown With Keith Olberman said it with a cleanliness only rivaled by Bigfoot's teeth. When asked by the lucky stand-in presenter, Rachel Maddow, whether they were out to make as much money as they could, Mr. Dyer, who had not uttered a word through the entire interview, firmly stated that this was the case. (Please take note, Mr. Zuckerberg and Ms. Sandberg)

These are businessmen who put most Web 1.0 enterprises to shame. Most of Web 2.0 too. They have a geneticist's rigorous grasp of detail. And they have a clearly articulated business plan.
Sweet. These guys are running an outrageous flim-flam, are fixing to trim the suckers like Hitler's moustash, and the whole thing is perfectly legal. They might get scolded, or more likely laughed at, for lying, but that's about it.

Whadda ya wanna bet that if a DNA test is done (it won't be), it will be strictly paper? And the suckers'll keep on buying over-priced, Bigfoot crap from them by the barrow load. I repeat: Sweet!

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/17/2008 05:44:27
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  08:40:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.searchingforbigfoot.com/
Whitton is a local, Georgia, police officer, who is currently on administrative leave after being wounded in the course of duty pursuing an alleged felon. Dyer is a former correctional officer. Whitton and Dyer are co-owners of bigfoottracker.com and Bigfoot Global LLC., a company that offers Bigfoot expeditions. Whitton and Dyer are working with Bigfoot hunter, Tom Biscardi, and Biscardi's Searching for Bigfoot, Inc., to present and conduct the scientific study of the evidence and information on this body.

Bolding mine.
Additional information about Searching for Bigfoot, Inc. is available at http://www.searchingforbigfoot.com. For additional information, and to arrange an interview with Tom Biscardi, Rick Dyer and Matthew Whitton, contact the Searching for Bigfoot headquarters at; 650-566-4001.

Oh yeah. They just happened to be on a camping trip. Riiiight... I am tempted to call the number and see if they want to be interviewed by us. And perhaps I will, though I am willing to bet the hat that filthy doesn't have to eat that such an interview would cost us more money than we have, which is pretty much none...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  12:38:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeh, and I was sort'a looking forward to some roasted hog brains with hat, liver & sausage gravy. Ah well...

Do try and get those scoundrels in here -- they'd be a lot of fun. They'd be really stupid, not to mention crazy, to do it, but you never know 'till you try.

What no one seems to take into account is that the north Georgia woods have been logged and logged. Every tree there is second (actually umteenth) growth and if there was anything even resembling Bigfoot, the loggers would have found it many generations ago. Or the moonshiners. Or rattlesnake observers such as myself -- I grew up only a little south of there.

The whole story is beyond silly but too many will believe it, at least until the next wowser comes along. Again, I fear for the future of my species. Evolution has played a cruel joke on us and made us too big a bunch of suckers to have any long-term survival prospects.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.