Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  21:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Poll Question:
Who would win in a free-for-all, anything-goes cage match?

Edited: please vote in the second semi-final.

Results:
James "The Amazing" Randi   [6%] 218 votes
PZ "The Violator" Myers   [36%] 1313 votes
Daniel "Danger Man" Dennett   [1%] 53 votes
Robert "The Brain" Carroll   [0%] 5 votes
Susan "Death" Blackmore   [1%] 27 votes
Phil "Bad-Ast" Plait   [5%] 183 votes
Christopher "Drunken Monkey" Hitchens   [24%] 858 votes
Sam “The Hammer” Harris   [4%] 130 votes
Carl "The Zombie" Sagan   [8%] 281 votes
Michael "Weird Thing" Shermer   [2%] 57 votes
Joe "Man of 1,000 Faces" Nickell   [0%] 9 votes
Ray "Psych Buster" Hyman   [0%] 3 votes
Harriet "The Doctor" Hall   [0%] 18 votes
Richard "The Rottweiler" Dawkins   [13%] 453 votes
Name your own champion (in a reply, please)   [0%] 16 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 3624 counted  »»   Last Vote: 09/03/2008 12:58:25 

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  22:04:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Randi? He's a small man with a bad heart, not a winning combination. Unless of course he has a knife up his sleeve.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 08/06/2008 22:05:19
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  01:07:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Is this an intellectual cage match or a physical one?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  06:47:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Originally posted by filthy

We've left it purposefully ambiguous. Could be both.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  06:55:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Originally posted by Ricky

Randi? He's a small man with a bad heart, not a winning combination. Unless of course he has a knife up his sleeve.

Well, Dave said "anything-goes", so I guess he could have.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  08:23:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message

Other attributes may figure in too. While I didn't choose him, and I sometimes I think he is wrong, (the war) I would be pretty loath to get into a debate with Christopher Hitchens.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  08:28:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

Okey-dokey, here's mine: Bill "Snakebite" Haast. Smarter'n tougher'n meaner'n 'em all!

The snake is an Egyptian cobra.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  10:51:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I would vote for Pat Tillman - football player and military and non-religious - kick everyone's ass.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  12:58:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message
Dave.....

Poll Question:
Who would win in a free-for-all, anything-goes cage match?
Who would win what against whom?

Here you give a list of intellectual legends; all of the same general skeptical, anti woo-woo mindset. Do you mean:

1. Who would most effectively destroy a fundie, Catholic, or screwloose religious/paranormal wacko opponent? OR:

2. Who would win in a mass discussion or debate involving all of them, presumably arguing with each other about the minor differences in their philosophies? In a debate, what would be the nature of the Resolved proposition? OR:

3. Who would come off the most effective star performer in a mass battle of wits (hopefully not biceps) involving their team of skeptic/atheists versus a Ray Comfort type team of fundies, woo-woos, and Catholic, Jewish, Islamic etc. theologians? OR, simply:

4. Who is your favorite high-profile skeptic/debunker/iconoclast?

If you say "all of the above" , it will be very frustrating!
I've never seen any of them in a fistfight or Ultimate Fighting match. How could we have anything to go on with respect to any of these folks physical ferocity or that of a possible creationist opponent?

In other words, what kind of a freaking fight do you want? Apples, oranges, and pineapples make a great fruit salad but don't logically compare in merit to each other!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  13:17:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
You're over-thinking it, bngbuck, but it certainly wasn't meant to be #1.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  14:13:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message
Dave.....

Well, for me it takes no undue mental effort at all to select Christopher Hitchens as the meanest, toughest, smartest, most resourceful, unbeatable, brilliant, most combative FIGHTER for atheistic, anti-religious positions.

But for a woo-woo fighter, Randi wins hands-down, of course.

Different strokes from different folks!

Sorry for the over-thinking, but I constantly feel that I should think more and talk less!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  14:23:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, this is just supposed to be fun. A sort of Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny for the skeptic set.

Everyone should feel free to add their own ring-side commentary describing how their particular choice whomps the others.

Zombie Sagan, of course, gets stronger with the ingestion of brains, and so after taking out the old and infirm (those happen to have the largest brains, too), the rest would be a cakewalk. Except for Hitchens, whose brain is pickled.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  16:55:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Barbara "The IDiot Crusher" Forrest

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  06:49:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Over at BABlog, an appropriate image.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  13:15:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Drunken Monkey, all the way. He was aggressive in the film with Harris, Dawkins, and Dennet, so he already has a feel for them. Plus, he recently subjected himself to torture. And anyone who can drink and smoke that much for that long and still write best selling books and keep respected members of the both Left and Right intrigued with him has got mad skillz, yo.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  13:57:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Originally posted by moakley

Barbara "The IDiot Crusher" Forrest
Ahhhh, good one. And how about Eugenie Scott? I suspect if we had thought more about it, Scott would have made the main poll list.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.