Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  06:32:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

I think this whole thing is about Russia letting the former soviet republics know whose ass they have to kiss and why.

Hanks ass and a million bucks*?

*)As soon as they leave town

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  07:17:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this whole thing is about Russia letting the former soviet republics know whose ass they have to kiss and why.

Sounds about right indeed. Generally speaking the Russian politic seems, since Putin, to try and restore the Russian sphere of influence into what it was during the time of the Soviet Union.

They are working on it politically in Ukraine and militarily in Tchetchenia and now Ossetia.

As to the war crimes reported, I am not sure it is purely propaganda. I'd suspect neither army have much respect for the civilian populations.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  09:31:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zeked said:
I am unacustomed to US media, so please excuse my overt repulsion

You aren't the only one who is overtly repulsed by the US media. They are largely a fucking tabloid joke.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  10:02:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to say: 'Investigative journalism was born in the US. It is only fitting that it died there too...'

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  14:44:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds very propagandish to me.

You know, before Abu Ghraib Prison, Gunantanamo, a number of illegal abductions and prison-transports of non-US citizens to countries like Egypt where they were subjected to torture, American Marines murdering civilians etc. I might have been more inclined to agree with you. These days though... Anything concerning the American govnerment and its agents are highly suspect.

So don't you dare blame me for being suspicious and inclined to assume the worst.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  15:39:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Sounds very propagandish to me.

You know, before Abu Ghraib Prison, Gunantanamo, a number of illegal abductions and prison-transports of non-US citizens to countries like Egypt where they were subjected to torture, American Marines murdering civilians etc. I might have been more inclined to agree with you. These days though... Anything concerning the American govnerment and its agents are highly suspect.

So don't you dare blame me for being suspicious and inclined to assume the worst.

I can't even dare?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  18:27:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't even dare?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  11:46:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the news, whatever the Ruskies are up to now, it's not the cease fire & withdrawal they publicly agreed to.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  14:53:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

By the news, whatever the Ruskies are up to now, it's not the cease fire & withdrawal they publicly agreed to.

They'll want to keep the pressure on Georgia by any means possible.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  06:06:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like they plan to keep the seperatist regions. I wonder if those folks will ultimately be better off living under Russia or the purported liberal democracy of Georgia. It would be ironic if Georgia prospers under liberal reforms while the separatists squirm under authoritarian rule.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  07:19:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are my thought also. They'll try to get them independence from Georgia, after which they will be forced/coerced/persuaded into a cooperative alliance with Russia.

Hmmm, seems a dutch cameraman was killed last Tuesday during mortar fire on Gori.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  11:03:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I laughed out loud when I heard on the radio this morning that Bush said of Putin, "Bullying and intimidation are not acceptable ways to conduct foreign policy in the 21st century."

Can anyone take this putz seriously anymore?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  12:40:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I laughed out loud when I heard on the radio this morning that Bush said of Putin, "Bullying and intimidation are not acceptable ways to conduct foreign policy in the 21st century."

Can anyone take this putz seriously anymore?
What makes it even funnier is the Georgians did start the shooting whereas with the US in Iraq we attacked a nation that wasn't threatening us in any way. Ugh, it makes my head hurt to say it, but in that comparison we're more the bad guys than they are.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  13:59:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
chaloobi and all interested.....

How do you think the Russian incursion into Georgia will affect the Presidential and Congressional elections here in the U. S.?

Several mid-level folks in the Democratic party that I hear from are pretty concerned about the upcoming Republican propaganda onslaught that will present McCain as a Messianic military leader - and paint Obama as a Muslim terrorist traitor in a time of rebirth of the cold war with Russia as Putin reincarnates as a latter-day Stalin.

Any opinions on how this kind of pure political putrescence from Rove and Company may play with the great unwashed masses of the American electorate?

Don't forget the Swift Boat sewage of '04! The same sycophantic hack journalist Jerome R. Corsi has already produced another book,The Obama Nation which has been boosted to #5 on the NY Times best-seller list by massive group purchases funded by the Republican Party.

You've got to admit, the Rethugs are extremely skilled at flinging feces, playing the fear card, and manipulating the mindless masses!

Is Obama too smart for the largely brain-dead body politic?
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  14:30:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know, but don't you think the Americans are kind of fed up with war at this point. Perhaps if the republicans present McCain as a military leader, this might backfire? Especially if the democratic would succeed in strongly presenting Obama as a peace president?

Tom

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.