Split from the Robert Lancaster Thread
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  09:37:08  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted the below in the RL thread. Regarding the religious disposition of Roberts wife and family. I actually do not know if he is religious himself. Anyway have at me.

I almost unintentionally stepped in it over at JREF when I noted to Susan that through hard work and brilliant medicine Derek had a remarkable recovery without need to appeal to any supernatural forces. I feel I am safer to talk of this here than over there, please let me know if I am mistaken. What is astonishing to me is that Susan and apparently RL's family are rooting for (and one can assume will give some credit to) god to lend a magical hand, but they don't seem to note that god did nothing to prevent the situation in the first place. God gets all the credit for the cure and has carte blanche forgiveness for the cause.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  10:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, yeah. When I read Susan's first post I was surprised to see that she is a believer. Her third post drove home the point. I have no idea if Robert shares her beliefs, but I doubt it. They are so clearly in love (I have seen them together on several occasions), that if they do differ over this, they have clearly worked it out so that it does not present any great problem to their relationship.

That said, why look for reason from a person coming from a place that is irrational?

More importantly, if Robert doesn't care, why should I? I have yet to detect any kind of judgement coming from Susan, who must know that those who post on the JREF forums are by and large, atheists.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  06:42:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with everything you said. Except that I was surprised when she rather aggressively rebuked me with her comment about god and prayer wanting credit. I had half a mind to say that if god wants credit he will need to speak up, otherwise Occam's razor says we must credit medicine and hard work. But I really didn't want to get into any debate at all with someone under her circumstances. Anyway storm in a teacup.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  07:36:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I run into this all the time.

Most of the time I just remain silent, but sometimes I'll tell people that they should be thanking the healthcare professionals and the science behind their efforts. It usually falls on deaf ears though.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.