Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  21:54:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

I also have no natural rhythm to speak off. I can't even drum my fingers along to a song with any consistency.
If it's any consolation, I spent some time years ago writing music software and found that if every note hit with metronomic precision, the result sounded artificial. So I added a feature that would add a random offset to the time each note played. With small offsets (up to about 10 milliseconds) the result sounded much more like it was being played by real people.

Unfortunately for you, larger offsets just made a sonic mess. But the reason I was writing software to make music is that I've got rhythm and other skill problems myself, so I'm right there with you - although I can't resist trying to follow along with the snare drum late in Roundabout whenever I hear it.
I still wonder what, exactly, music sounds like to most people.)
A glorious cacophony.
Awesome!
It's like cooking. Sure, if you really concentrate when you eat a particular dish, you might be able to pick out individual ingredients. A hint of lemon there. A dash of cardamom there. But mostly we just taste all the ingredients together as a single synthesis. I think that's how it is for most people with music, too.
Huh. I hadn't thought about that. I'm not a food person (if I could avoid eating, I would), so this analogy makes a lot of sense to me, thanks.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  22:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Tone matrix.

Cool deal. That brought to mind the Yamaha Tenori-on.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SGwDhKTrwU

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  22:40:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Tone matrix.
On the thread where I found this, the first joker to reply posted this "song."

252,548,1060,129024,1276,640,252,130560,66300,66180,130692,0,130812,65568,65616,130696

It doesn't have a bad beat, actually.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  22:45:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy
Cool deal. That brought to mind the Yamaha Tenori-on.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SGwDhKTrwU
The top rated comment for that video had me laughing. Cool video. Thanks.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  22:49:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humbert:
But mostly we just taste all the ingredients together as a single synthesis. I think that's how it is for most people with music, too.

Oddly, I'm able to do both at the same time. I habitually deconstruct what music that I'm listening to while I'm hearing it, and hear it as a single synthesis simultaneously. Maybe it's because I am a musician, but I can't remember a time when I didn't do that. Good thing too or I would never be able to enjoy what I'm listening to on an emotional level, after deconstructing it. Also, it doesn't matter how many times I've heard a piece, I still do it. Sometimes with the emphasis on other aspects of the music that weren't at first obvious to me.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  11:20:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dave W.
(I recall that at a young age, I was surprised to learn that not everyone could easily pick out the guitar, bass, keyboard (etc.) lines in a regular rock song (for example), at will. Most people, it seems, have to concentrate pretty hard to hear the individual instruments.
Oh, that's me for sure. Sometimes I try to pick out one instrument in a song, say for air guitar purposes, and depending on the complexity of the tune it can give me real trouble. I'll lose the thread and start focusing on different instrument entirely, then back again... I also have no natural rhythm to speak off. I can't even drum my fingers along to a song with any consistency.

Chew on this: The Order of the Universe (CD-version) Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (of "Yes")

Edited to add: The intro is a glorious explosion of counter-point/s.
I love this song, I will for ever only dream of playing it with my choice of instrument...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 04/12/2011 11:26:14
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  16:51:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this one:

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  16:55:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The scale on the Tone Matrix, for those so inclined, is (from the bottom) A, B, D, E, F# and then it repeats all the way up. It's the D Major Pentatonic Scale, according to one of the commenters.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  19:31:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one's cute:

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  22:51:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

...I know that he's taken some flack lately, but no one is happier, no one is prouder to put this birth certificate matter to rest than [Donald Trump], and that's because he can finally get back to focusing on the issues that matter, like 'Did we fake the moon landing?', 'What really happened in Roswell?', and 'Where are Biggie and Tupac?'

-US President Barack Obama, speaking about the birth certificate non-issue at the 2011 White House Correspondents' Dinner

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/trump-gets-roasted-president-obama-white-h

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  20:30:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ultimate talking dog. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  23:16:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard that Donald Trump was scheduled to drive the pace car at a NASCAR event, but couldn't produce his long-form drivers's license.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  10:36:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Titled "Amazing" . Definitely unique. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  12:48:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Titled "Amazing" . Definitely unique. SS
It's a living I guess...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2011 :  15:00:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love magic. SS

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds.