New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  13:30:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

From Dispatches from the Culture Wars:
A unionized public employee, a member of the Tea Party, and a CEO are sitting at a table. In the middle of the table is a plate with a dozen cookies on it. The CEO reaches across and takes 11 cookies, looks at the tea partier and says, "Watch out for that union guy, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Rachel Maddow told of a New York Times article where a former Ohio Secretary of State told that joke, except the punch line was, "That union guy wants **yours**".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/#41879836

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/us/02states.html

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  14:13:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From TDW Geek:

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  16:40:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And on the other side of reality:

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  22:11:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This cracked me up.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  12:12:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal:

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  14:11:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who's the guilty dog?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  14:29:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prepare Yourself For An Article About The Worst News Article Ever Written.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  15:05:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Prepare Yourself For An Article About The Worst News Article Ever Written.
4 months ago I was in a restaurant in Asheville at 3 separate tables I saw 4 of the same haircut. The custume shop stocking up on fake mustaches doesn't seem that far fetched after that experience. As far as the article is concerned I consider it SFNs fault that I even know this now.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  16:41:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Who's the guilty dog?

Oh I love this one. I can't wait to show my wife when she gets home.

I may be a little biased though seeing as my best friend is a yellow Labrador Retriever.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  14:56:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Little sister show bigger sister "How To Beat Claw Game". SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  15:39:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diet coke and mentos. A classic

http://www.break.com/index/diet-coke-and-mentos.html

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  15:41:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A woman goes back to work after 30 years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFCCFS_lhA8

Probably funny only to people over age 40

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  20:12:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tone matrix.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  21:09:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Tone matrix.
Dammit, I could spend all night screwing with that. I very much badly want to write my own, with more steps, tones and voices.

Here's one of my creations:

I find that as I listen to it, my attention shifts between different tonal qualities, such that after a couple minutes, it sounds very different even though I've made no changes. Could just be my ears "tiring" of particular phrases/tones. I'm not sure. I'm going to leave the room for a few minutes, and then come back in and see hear if there's a difference...

...oh, yeah, there is. Since it's so repetitive, coming at it with "fresh" ears makes a big difference after five minutes or so.

(I recall that at a young age, I was surprised to learn that not everyone could easily pick out the guitar, bass, keyboard (etc.) lines in a regular rock song (for example), at will. Most people, it seems, have to concentrate pretty hard to hear the individual instruments. I still wonder what, exactly, music sounds like to most people.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  21:32:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(I recall that at a young age, I was surprised to learn that not everyone could easily pick out the guitar, bass, keyboard (etc.) lines in a regular rock song (for example), at will. Most people, it seems, have to concentrate pretty hard to hear the individual instruments.
Oh, that's me for sure. Sometimes I try to pick out one instrument in a song, say for air guitar purposes, and depending on the complexity of the tune it can give me real trouble. I'll lose the thread and start focusing on different instrument entirely, then back again... I also have no natural rhythm to speak off. I can't even drum my fingers along to a song with any consistency.

I still wonder what, exactly, music sounds like to most people.)
A glorious cacophony.

I imagine it's a lot like tasting. Sure, if you really concentrate when you eat a particular dish you might be able to pick out a few individual ingredients. A hint of lemon there. A dash of cardamom there. But mostly we just taste all the ingredients together as a single synthesis. I think that's how it is for most people with music, too.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 04/11/2011 21:43:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds.