Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  07:32:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Yet another recall for slipshod Swedish engineering at its most typical:

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  07:37:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Yet another recall for slipshod Swedish engineering at its most typical:

See, everyone? There's a Swedish engineer laughing at the problem!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  08:31:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You gotta understand: This was in Texas, and some people were displaying a few signs of incipient literacy. So this fundraiser was considered a good cause:

Found on Griggo.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/27/2012 04:31:04
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  02:21:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those words are almost synonyms. (From Griggo.):

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/23/2012 02:23:09
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  07:11:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent cartoon from Cowbirds in Love:

H/T Baby Praying Mantis, H/T Mano Singham.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  07:18:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Excellent cartoon from Cowbirds in Love:

. . .
So very true of every one of them I've met.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  22:22:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this at FailBLOG:

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  04:26:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Four more news clippings from Griggo:

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/27/2012 04:42:48
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  10:15:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possibly something not everyone realizes.
[center]

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  10:39:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So true, ss, so true.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  12:04:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pretty terrifying elevator prank.

Would this work on skeptics? Would we remain cool and rational and ascertain the most logical explanation? Or would we dissolve into a pool of blubbery fear where all rational thought is suspended? I sometimes wonder how I would react if taken unawares.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  16:13:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SS, indeed.

H. Humbert, I can get startled and the very idea of things can be scary (like getting emotional/scared when reading or watching a movie). In in the case of the elevator prank, I have bouts of hypnagogia so I'd likely think that I had an episode of that...until I heard the scream!

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 11/28/2012 16:15:00
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  20:29:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was interesting to see how fear makes people cover their eyes or avert their gaze. You would think they'd be staring with their mouths open. Maybe it was the confined space? No "safe" viewing distance?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  05:33:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Would this work on skeptics?
Wouldn't be as entertaining, but I would like to see the video of those who did not react. I have to believe that some reactions were more annoyance than fear.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  11:56:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an interesting "experiment" to pull on people. As brought up, it's unfortunate we only get to see reactions of certain type of response. Those who seem to be believers in delusional supernatural gobbledygook.
Where there reactions that were not presented that showed more reasonable behavior? I have no doubt there where and that can be argued but with only the limited examples given it would be to no avail.
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Would this work on skeptics? ,,,

It was interesting to see how fear makes people cover their eyes or avert their gaze.
I agree with H. Humbert but only to a point. I would call this "A pretty startling elevator prank" for anyone but only a "terrifying" one to those shown and those prone to supernatural or magical thinking. "Real Magic" does exist and can be demonstrated all day long but Paranormal Magic has never been shown to real or effective, ever. Except to anyone who can be fooled or convince it is real. Never to those who can see how the demonstration is deceitful or in error. I also found it interesting to observe how some but not all covered there eyes, like that's going to protect them from real danger. Even the last victim, a man, had the "see no evil" reaction. If one thinks about it it's the best reaction for those who believe in paranormal woo woo. Whether one believes in ghosts which can be seen (like here) and or ones that can't be seen (like when things are moved by unseen ghosts) it's more terrifying when you can see them, so covering your eyes and don't look is the best defense. A reaction attributed to ostrich's by burying their heads in the sand, which is not true but demonstrably so for some people as seen in the video. One lady fell to the floor in a ball like a hedghog avoiding the little girl.
(Think!) What a useless reaction.

I think it's safe to say we would all can/ would be startled because that's how we're wired but what reaction comes after the thinking brain catches up is not always one based on logic or effectiveness. I don't think there is "a way" all skeptics would universally react due the a wide range of rational and psychological differences involved. Self described skeptics are not always skeptics in all beliefs. Without a litmus test can any self described skeptic be taken on face value? I think not.

My sister, whom I just visited with, proclaimed to be a "Practicing Catholic". I pointed that with her pro choice belief the Pope would not share the same opinion of her. While seeing my point she still thinks the same. Many theists here see themselves as skeptics and critical thinkers when by the definition of those terms and by the definition of faith which they have are not. How absurd but present and ignored. Such is life on planet Earth.

Originally posted by moakley

Wouldn't be as entertaining, but I would like to see the video of those who did not react. I have to believe that some reactions were more annoyance than fear.
I wouldn't be surprised.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.69 seconds.