Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  18:38:06  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Tom Willis, whose dumbass credentials need to be seen to be believed. This clown is such a dumbass that he has to be reminded to breath.
The month isn't even halfway over yet, but we have found a worthy recipient of the Robert O'Brien Trophy as the idiot of the month. Hell, this guy might qualify as the Grand Poobah Dumbass of the century: Tom Willis. In this bizarre rant, Willis not only argues - quite seriously - that "evolutionists" should be ineligible to vote but that they should be "violently" removed from society. Seriously.

Perhaps you're not familiar with Tom Willis. He's the founder of the Creation Science Association of Mid-America, based in Kansas. He's probably the only creationist who is so ridiculous that I would rank him below Kent Hovind - and just pause for a moment to ponder just how ridiculous one would have to be to be worse than Kent Hovind. He's not just a creationist, mind you, he's also a geocentrist. Yep, he's that far gone.
They exist and evidently in some numbers, so what pray, might a geocentrist be? Read on, dear friends; geocentrists are fucking nuts!

"Geocentrists accept a spherical earth but deny that the sun is the center of the solar system or that the earth moves.... The basis for their belief is a literal reading of the Bible. [ source ]
An emergent scandal over a Texas Republican Party politician's distribution of a memo citing a "fixed Earth" website alleging the Earth does not not rotate and lies at the center of the universe has raised the question; where do such eccentric views as Rep. Chisum's, that the Copernican model of the Solar System is wrong and derives from a Jewish Kabbalistic Conspiracy, come from ? Until recently, it's been generally assumed that the debate over heliocentric vs. geocentric models of the universe, that raged up until the advent of Copernicus, had been well resolved. Lately though, an American movement has sought to restore the Earth to a central position in the grand cosmological scheme... Since the existence of the "Flat Earth Society" became a widely traveled joke, it has become hard to determine if card-carrying flat-earthers really exist any more; many join the society for amusement. But, there are real geocentrists who dream of spheres within spheres and orreries, speculate that Copernicus killed Tycho Brahe and write dense, arcane mathematical proofs placing the Earth at the center of it all. Variants of such views apparently can be found in the Texas State legislature and, in 1999, Tom Willis --head of the Mid-Atlantic Creation Research Association-- was " intrumental in revising the Kansas elementary school curriculum to remove references to evolution, earth history, and science methodology". Willis was also a "geocentrist" and wrote, in 2000, a bold manifesto for both Young-Earth Creationism and Geocentrism:

"...all experiments to demonstrate that the earth moves at all have failed. All seem to indicate the earth does not move at all. There is much evidence that the earth is young and cannot possibly be millions, much less billions of years old but we will not treat that herein.... The Bible does not say that the earth is at the center of the universe. But, anyone looking up can see that the sun, planets and stars are moving. Galileo argued that this motion was relative, that really the earth was spinning and it only looks like these other objects move. But, both the observations and the Bible indicate quite strongly that the earth does not move." - Tom Willis
"

Words like dullard, idjit, dolt, oaf, dork, 'tard, cretin, dimwit, moron, nincompoop, and so forth don't seen to be quite descriptive enough. "Peckerhead" comes close but even that falls a little short of suming up this more hovindesque-even-than-Hovind charecter.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  19:16:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember this award from when it was given two months ago. Brayton can definitely turn a phrase sometimes:
Tom, if an idea can be used to justify entirely opposite conclusions then it cannot possibly have been applied in a "logically consistent manner." This should be clear to anyone with an IQ above that of a randomly selected paint chip.
In the comments to Brayton's post, Jim Lippard is self-referential regarding where we've all seen Tom Willis' name before: he's the guy who made up the claim that Lucy's knee joint was found "Sixty to seventy meters lower in the strata and two to three kilometers away" from the rest of Lucy's skeleton, waaaaaay back in 1987.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  03:51:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I remember this award from when it was given two months ago. Brayton can definitely turn a phrase sometimes:
Tom, if an idea can be used to justify entirely opposite conclusions then it cannot possibly have been applied in a "logically consistent manner." This should be clear to anyone with an IQ above that of a randomly selected paint chip.
In the comments to Brayton's post, Jim Lippard is self-referential regarding where we've all seen Tom Willis' name before: he's the guy who made up the claim that Lucy's knee joint was found "Sixty to seventy meters lower in the strata and two to three kilometers away" from the rest of Lucy's skeleton, waaaaaay back in 1987.
I remember that! So it was Willis who made up that rather desperate and utterly imbecilic claim, then? Add confirmed, congenital, creationist liar & monumental blatherskite to the list, and call him an above (or below, either will do) average, pathetic dumbass. That nonsense is still doing the rounds amongst the more hysterical of the YECs and I doubt if they'll ever shut up about it.

Brayton can indeed turn a phrase.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  06:01:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How scary that people seriously think like that...YEFECs (Young Earth Flat Earth Creationists) with a violent disposition and potential traitors (we all know the reliogious++ types would gladly defecate on the Constitution if they were instructed to).

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  08:52:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I remember that! So it was Willis who made up that rather desperate and utterly imbecilic claim, then? Add confirmed, congenital, creationist liar & monumental blatherskite to the list, and call him an above (or below, either will do) average, pathetic dumbass. That nonsense is still doing the rounds amongst the more hysterical of the YECs and I doubt if they'll ever shut up about it.

Brayton can indeed turn a phrase.

Yeah. Being a fan of Johanson and the Lucy story and the significance of A.afarensis as the most interesting early hominid find in general, I remember when the Willis story was making the rounds among creationists. Lucy has so many primitive and modern features that make A.afarensis so clearly transitional, it was bound to come under attack from people like Willis. Willis lied and it stuck.

Several creationists have backed off of the story based on the ease of debunking the Willis claim. The sad thing is it's still all over creationist books (written for an audience that doesn't know shit from shinola about science and are very easy to fool.) So the story persists. The upshot is that this kind of lie is the candy that Hovind "kind" is sweet on. The dumber creationists accept any bullshit that supports their case. And a guy like Hovind is really too stupid to have come up with anything like the Willis story himself, but is certainly willing to run with it.

Which brings me to my point. Hovind is still dumber than Willis. Willis feeds the clueless.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  10:28:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which brings me to my point. Hovind is still dumber than Willis. Willis feeds the clueless.

I don't wish to start a pissing contest over whose cretin is the dumbist, but is Hovind a geocentrist? If he is, I've never heard it mentioned, and let's face it: geocentrists score very, even staggeringly high on the brain-dead scale, creationist or no. Also outright knavery should be figured into it; Willis feeds the clueless, Hovind feeds, or used to, and might yet again, on them.

On the other hand, Willis still roams free, but, on the gripping hand, geocentrisim is appallingly dumb, albeit legal.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  11:10:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy:
I don't wish to start a pissing contest over whose cretin is the dumbist, but is Hovind a geocentrist? If he is, I've never heard it mentioned, and let's face it: geocentrists score very, even staggeringly high on the brain-dead scale, creationist or no.

Good point. Willis certainly seems to have drunk deeper from the well that these idiots are drinking from. It's really his influence on creationist literature that I am commenting on.

But yeah. They are all Bozo's on that bus...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  11:26:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humanity has the very special gift of being able to constantly one-up itself. Just when you think you have seen the pinnacle, someone comes along and shatters expectations. Phelps in the Olympics, for example. Despite his name having an unpleasant association for those who pay attention to the nutbags of the world, they guy is a machine! Amazing athlete.

On the opposite end of the spectrum the same appears to hold true. Just when you think you have discovered the stupidest person possible, along comes some creationist moron to prove you wrong. This tard wins the prize, for now. I'm sure someone will come along and prove themselves even dumber though.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  12:41:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't it Frank Zappa who said that stupid is more common than hydrogen?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  13:33:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wasn't it Frank Zappa who said that stupid is more common than hydrogen?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  13:48:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Zappa actually said:
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  14:32:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well....

Eh, call it a coin-flip with creationist heads on both sides. There's very little to chose from, really. I might remind, though, that the Bible quite clearly sez that you can go to hell for lying like a snake sleeping on a flat rock, just the same way you can stealing.

Anyhow, the woods are full of 'em and I'm sure that there some even more stupid than what we've seen here. It's just a matter of digging them out. I'd do it but my absurdity-tolerance threshold has been reached.

Zappa might have underestimated.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  22:12:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess what? He's back, and more full of it than ever.

First found on Myer's blog

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  02:57:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Guess what? He's back, and more full of it than ever.

First found on Myer's blog

I caught that yesterday -- my comment is # 33.

Willis seems to have added Ann Coulter to his repertoire. It fits him rather well, I think. Shave him, flence 150 # off'n his porky, little frame and give him a beached-out wig, and you'd scarcly see the difference. She too, is a low-comedy routine for all who insist upon doing their own thinking.

I wonder what his debate style is like. At a guess, it's likely bluster & bully & attempts at intimidation. I rather doubt he's smart enough to have developed a good Gish Gallop -- geocentrist, remember. Geocentrists, like the human spine, are another of evolution's unfortunate mistakes.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  09:16:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember he was interviewed by "New Scientist" once. Need subscription though.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  12:14:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

I remember he was interviewed by "New Scientist" once. Need subscription though.

Don't have a subscription nor, at the moment, the desire to buy one. But I note in the brief opening paragraphs that he claims he was once an atheist who became a Young Earth Claptrapist due to some truamatic life experience or other.

, another one. Seems that great many of these bibical hitch-hikers are enlightened atheists who, having seen the tragic error of coherent thought, went for the just-so stories of the Bronze Age. Hell, I don't blame 'em; fantasy is a lot more fun than intense study and involves considerably less effort. And evidently, there's pretty good money in it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.