Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  17:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt that chefcrsh will start a thread this here, so I will.
Here is chefcrsh's cooking show.

My gripe is that according to episode one, I have been making a mistake by using my Cuisinart to make Pesto. But I think he doesn't have a food processor so he must say his method is better because all he has to work with are Olduvian cooking tools...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  19:28:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe in the next episode, chef will show us how to make the baguettes he used in episode 3.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

dglasgow

2 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  05:11:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglasgow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This article is very helpful to me while cooking because i don't know how to cook i am practicing the varieties which are shown in these links.
Duke Glasgow
Maryland Alcohol Addiction Treatment
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  07:29:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglasgow

This article is very helpful to me while cooking because i don't know how to cook i am practicing the varieties which are shown in these links.
Duke Glasgow
Maryland Alcohol Addiction Treatment
There are a few books I can recommend if your interested. Chef probably has a couple of favorites too.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  19:16:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope next episode is Beef/steak [beefcake BEEFCAKE!] working on it as we speak.
Books. Joy of cooking is the absolute best basic - all round book for any beginner.
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  19:36:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding ep 1. It is just better Kil. Blended pesto is OK, but bashed pesto is better. Kind of like ibuprophen is an OK pain reliever but morphine is better.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  22:03:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chefcrsh

Regarding ep 1. It is just better Kil. Blended pesto is OK, but bashed pesto is better. Kind of like ibuprophen is an OK pain reliever but morphine is better.
Morphine makes me constipated. But I see your point...

I still won't make a latke the way my grandmother used to.

And I also like "The Way to Cook" by Julia Child. I like it because it breaks down by method.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  22:43:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won over my first wife in 1968 when I used the James Beard Cookbook to make a fine pork chop dish (with mushrooms and cream sauce). Of course, that book was pre-light-cuisine, and guaranteed to clog arteries. It also made anyone eating the results look like the gigantic James Beard himself. But one thing I remember: Beard had a fantastic sense for the use of spices and created wonderful sauces. A recipe he presented might kill you, but you died happy.

Your food looks delicious, Chef! Thank you for your efforts! (Damn that stuff makes me hungry!)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/27/2008 23:00:54
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  05:06:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My pleasure, really. Episode 4 is up now.

Yeah James Beard was a genius, and noted as the father of American cuisine in chefs circles, though he never had the pop recognition of Julia.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  09:26:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh, I enjoyed Episode 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT3wQTislog

It has never even occurred to me to age meat at home. I'll try it as soon as I can drive to the store again. I use the finger poking method of testing for doneness. It almost never fails...

Also, while Chef is the star of this thread, this might be a fun place to share recipes and, you know, great meals that we had and other food topics.

Even skeptics need to eat...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  03:05:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Episode 5 now up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chefcrsh
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  08:45:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chefcrsh

Episode 5 now up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chefcrsh

To be far, Subway does have a menu with items of 6 grams of fat or less. On the other hand, if you have them put cheese or olives on it, squirt mayo or oil on it, that will pretty much kill off it off as a low fat sandwich. And they offer those things like the do any other sandwich they sell, without mention of how you just killed off the low fat part of your low fat sandwich.

But yeah, like Angus beef, there are lots of examples of marketing bullshit in food products. Good show!

On a side note, the Angus burger at McDonalds is probably the first hamburger they have ever made that I like. That, an order of fries with a plavix and lipitor chaser, along with a daily dose of asprin and a five mile run at full speed after lunch while carrying a cellphone programed to dial 911 in its memory might be just the ticket for a quick meal.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  17:23:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I could have gone the other way (maybe I should have in hindsight) and looked for the most nutritious (low fat high fiber) item from each place. And I may have been able to show more or less the same thing. The point was that we have an image of McDonald's (and a lot of steak houses etc.) as being totally bad for you, but we think of other product and places as "better" but we are usually fooling ourselves.

With fast food it's real easy to decide to go to X shop for lunch, pull up their menu online, and make some good informed choices regarding nutrition. Thats true of every fast food shop I noted. They all have all the data online.

Subway does have some noted "diet" products but even as a chef I would have expected the tuna sandwich to be a far more healthy choice than the double double cheese cheese burger burger.

Also the Pret Sandwich was high in kCal and Fat but it was all good fats and very high in fiber...in actual overall nutrition that one probably should win the game. But if we are counting kcal and fat (what most people dieting would do) The double double cheese cheese burger burger beats it hands down. Thats why I know so many overweight "vegetarians" they eat bucket loads of mayo, crates of cheese, tons of refined flours and sugars.

The point in general was that without knowing specifics of the nutrition of any food item, we are likely fooling ourselves. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  18:20:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

On a side note, the Angus burger at McDonalds is probably the first hamburger they have ever made that I like.
Well, here's some truth in advertising.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  18:28:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Kil

On a side note, the Angus burger at McDonalds is probably the first hamburger they have ever made that I like.
Well, here's some truth in advertising.
So, it's not kosher?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  19:13:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grilled Chicken Quesadilla:

150g grilled chicken (grill it yourself, marinate to taste, get a George Foreman grill if you don't have one)

1 slice Kraft lowfat cheese

1 OLE Mexican foods spinach&herbs tortilla wrap

Chicken- 4.5g fat, 46g protein, 250kCal
Cheese- 4.5g fat, 5g protein, 60kCal
Tortilla- 2g fat, 8g protein, 5g carb, 70kCal

(you can reduce the chicken to 100g if you don't want so much protein in one sitting)

380kCal
11g fat
59g protein
5g carb

(the 100g chicken version- 295kCal, 44g protein, 9g fat, 5g carb)

Cut your grilled chicken into small strips, fajita size is good.

Take your George Forman grill and heat it up. Put the grilled chicken (microwave it if its cold) and cheese on one half of the tortilla, fold it in half. Place on hot grill for 2minutes or so.

Alternately, you can drop the cheese, get a tortilla with more carb content (like 15-20g, they still come in under 200kCal), and make it into a lowfat wrap! Add some lettuce, bit of spicy mustard, spinach greens, some chopped raw bell peppers...

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.