Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  18:35:41  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm always interested in the convention of both parties, and have watched them since I was of voting age (a mere 20 years, yes yes... I know, I'm just a babe in swadling compared to some of you).

I am struck by how the media is treating the convention this year. The "news" channels (I use the term "news" with some hesitation when describing CNN/FAUX/MSNBC) have ignored many speeches, many of them very good. Some of them have even been outstanding, like Kerry's speech wednesday. Had to read the text online, and then hunt down the video well after the fact.

The various "news" channels have been fairly predictable, and MSNBC has even been amusing with the infighting among their punditocracy. Olberman telling Scarborough to "get a shovel" was fucking hilarious. Scarborough bitching out Schuster, live, for three+ minutes was pretty funny as well! Matthews bitchslapping Olberman on live feed was priceless. CNN has douchbag carvel, who is prettymuch a useless bag of asshattery. And, of course, FAUX is the media dissemination arm of the neocons, always good for a chuckle if you watch their "analysis" of convention speeches.

Anyone else paying attention to this years conventions?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  18:45:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am. PBS has it all. Reruns on CNN. I don't think I have missed a speech...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  19:03:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watching just an hour ago or so, I was amazed that Tim Kaine's speech from the podium was deemed less important than having some reporter ask softball questions of Jesse Jackson as he milled about with thousands of others. I forget which channel that was, but switching to a different channel found pretty much the same thing being done to someone else.

I wonder who they will decide to interview while Obama is speaking...

Edited: Kil reminded me that it was, indeed, CNN that ignored Kaine. At least, the CNN that I was watching.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  20:13:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been watching on C-Span, where you can get live feeds even if I somehow only seem to be able to watch the upper-left quarter of what I imagine to be the full shot. (That, or the camera person and director should be fired!) And TPM has done a nice job of up-loading video of the speeches the major news outlets didn't cover.

And yes, Kerry's speech was really good, if 4 years too late!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  20:13:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, Obama talks a good game, I'll give him that much. The ambition and "we're not gonna take it anymore" attitude are certainly things I can get behind. Let's see how well he follows through on some of that speech during the debates.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  20:29:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obama's speech just finished. What do you think....

Of the content?
Took McCain's handsful of feces and immaculately threw it back in his face!

Of the presentation?
I think it was near-historic!

Of the reception on the various channels?
Faux's Bill Kristol was damn near blown away.
Olbermann was ecstatic.
Chris Mathewws was nearly orgasmic!

What are SFN's opinions?
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  20:29:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this convention did all the things it had to do. I don't think this election will be a cakewalk, but if I were McCain, I would be worried.
Party unity was the thing. I think that was accomplished...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  20:45:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obama is one of the best political orators I have ever heard. I've watched old speeches (because I'm a glutton for punishment, and youtube makes it so easy) and read a bunch of even older ones. I think he writes much of his own material as well.

JFK had the writing skill (or writers) to match, but he lacked the ability to deliver with Obama's skill. Obama takes the skill of rhetorical cadence (most recently famous, and maybe most simply, used by pres#41, "read my lips, no new taxes") and blends it seamlessly into the content of his speaking.

He is currently unmatched, certainly he can destroy McCain, in a contest of verbal skills.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  21:06:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the transcript from the discourse.

America, we are better than these last eight years. We are a better country than this.

Indeed you are. Let's hope it shows during the elections!

[Edited to fix URL tag - Dave W.]

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  21:37:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just saw a clip of some ABC coverage... talking head making some eloquent speech about how much hard work went into the convention to deliver for Obama, who he then described as "The son of a black man from Kenya, and a white man from Kansas."

Fucking glad I wasn't eating or drinking anything at that moment.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  04:21:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I refuse to watch the network incompetents and can't tune in PBS, but I'll get it today on-line.

Now for the (R) clusterfuck, which should be at least as interesting albeit for different reasons.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  06:29:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of (R) clusterfucks, they've been getting an early start on it:
Another day, another McCain advisor thrown under the bus for accidentally telling the truth about his candidate's indifference to the struggles of ordinary Americans. John Goodman "said anyone with access to an emergency room effectively has insurance."

"So I have a solution. And it will cost not one thin dime," Mr. Goodman said. "The next president of the United States should sign an executive order requiring the Census Bureau to cease and desist from describing any American -- even illegal aliens -- as uninsured. Instead, the bureau should categorize people according to the likely source of payment should they need care.

"So, there you have it. Voila! Problem solved."
Lovely!

Dover Bitch, whom I could become quite fond of, continues on in what is an interesting writing. We already knew much if not all of what she points out, but seeing it all together is enlightening.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  08:50:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This should get interesting.

McCain Chooses Palin as Running Mate

DAYTON, Ohio — In a surprise move, Senator John McCain chose Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska as his running mate on Friday, shaking up the political world at a time when his campaign has been trying to attract women, especially disaffected supporters of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, McCain officials confirmed.
Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska on Aug. 14, 2008.

In choosing Ms. Palin — a 44-year-old conservative Christian and self-described “hockey mom” who has been governor for less than two years — the McCain campaign reached far outside the Washington Beltway in an election in which the Democratic nominee, Senator Barack Obama, is running on a platform of change.

Ms. Palin, a former mayor of the small town of Wasilla and beauty pageant queen, first rose to prominence as a whistle-blower uncovering ethical misconduct in state government.

Now, I understand this choice, but I don't think there are many Hillary voters up for grabs after the last four days. But it's still not going to be two white guys which was expected. Also, after lots of attacks on Obama's lack of experiance, McCain chose a running mate who has even less experiance. But she might make the RR feel better.

I think McCain had to gamble. So here it is...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  09:00:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is an unexpected choice for McCain. Didn't see that one comming at all.

I doubt it will make much difference though. Those few Hillary supporters who are voting McCain were never going to vote for a democrat other than Hillary anyway.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  09:18:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She might pick up some of the female independents who were Hillary supporters. I dunno. But you're right about female democrats. They're ours.

This should take some of the wind out of McCain's sails on the experience front, which has been his most effective attack over the last few weeks.

Actually, this is shaping up to be like nothing we have ever seen before.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  09:37:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

She might pick up some of the female independents who were Hillary supporters. I dunno. But you're right about female democrats. They're ours.

That's a sad statement if it's true. No one should vote for someone just because of there race or sex......oh wait.....I forgot which universe I was living in for a second there.

The Right Wing Conservatives are THRILLED with this choice.....so we should be very afraid.

On a side note Dish Network was providing a "Live High Definition Feed" (without commentary) of the convention.....VERY COOL.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.