New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  06:52:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pre-ordered the game and it's in the mail somewhere. Out of curiosity I went to Amazon to look at the reveiws and I found one star. Yikes. So I took a look at what folks were saying and found this:

The DRM for the game utilizes securom which is essentially a virus that installs itself without warning when you install the game. There is no way to completely remove it without reformatting and it is constantly running in the background if not removed. Sucking up computer resources.

It also is overpriced. This is actually a RENTAL, not a bought game because it only lets you install 3 times. If you install over 3 times then you must call EA customer support and beg them to let you play the game you bought. Did I mention the call is not free? If you live outside the U.S. it will be a very expensive call.

DO NOT BUY THIS, and if you do buy it keep in mind that you are renting it. Not buying it. Whats really ironic about this is the DRM hasn't even stopped the pirates as it was pirated a few weeks ago. And the pirated version doesn't have Securom or install limits which makes it a better version. EA shouldn't treat its consumers like trash if they want my money.

Thoughts? Comments? Should I install it when it comes???

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  08:07:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read about SecuROM on Wikipedia.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  10:21:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thing, or something like it, is almost certainly already on my PC. Not sure what the purpose is since the game's already been cracked and shared on the Internet. The 3 install limit that can be triggered by upgrading your PC coupled with the fact that they don't have a 24/7 toll free number to call to get your game reactivated is almost funny. In some of the Amazon comments they speculate EA is going after the used game market. They don't want me playing a game for a year then selling it to someone else or bringing it back to the local game store which will then repackage and sell it.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  10:29:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the comments to this story, the first commenter recommends buying Spore, but then downloading a cracked version (without SecuROM) to actually play, leaving the purchased version on your shelf. Should, technically, be legal to do so. Might take a court case to actually test that theory, and I wouldn't want to be it. But your mileage may vary.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:03:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife just looked up her pre-order, and tells me that my copy of Spore is due to be at my home sometime today. Now I'm torn between my promise to @tomic to work on the SFN software, and playing Spore. Spore may have to wait for the weekend.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  12:45:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Review on Slashdot

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  09:32:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will Wright's "Spore" Angers Atheists, Because What Doesn't?
Athiests protesting that religion is in Spore is a bit like Christians protesting that there's no mention of God in Sonic the Hedgehog. It's a game, and it's fun, and raining down diseased animals on your neighbors is hilarious. Get over it.
Indeed.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  09:35:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm....still don't like the idea of putting a DRM on my machine.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  10:03:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Athiests protesting that religion is in Spore is a bit like Christians protesting that there's no mention of God in Sonic the Hedgehog. It's a game, and it's fun, and raining down diseased animals on your neighbors is hilarious. Get over it.
Indeed.
The Spore concept seems more in line with Intelligent Design than evolution, though I confess I won't have first hand knowledge of that before this evening. As far as religion associated concepts being in the game, I don't particularly care. A make-believe science fiction game is a better place for religion than just about anywhere else in our culture, IMO. Just don't pretend it's science and teach it in schools.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  10:08:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn, and I thought it was just a cool game...I didn't know I was supposed to be angry and upset about it.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  11:09:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an extremely hard time believing that any "militant atheists" have a problem with the way religion is presented in Spore. It seems Will Wright made an off-the-cuff comment about some beta testers who may have had some negative evaluations concerning the religion aspect of the game (they were being asked to critique the game, remember), which he termed "militant atheists." How accurate an assessment this is, and what their criticisms actually were, we don't know. Then some college rag decided to use Wright's statement as a jumping off point to tell the entire atheist community to keep in mind that "it's just a game." Well, duh. As one of the commentators said, as an atheist who frequents skeptic and atheist forums, I have never heard any atheists even mildly grumbling about the religion aspect in Spore. Almost everyone seems to be positively excited about the release of the game. Just look at the reactions here, for example. So I call bullshit on this entire meme.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/10/2008 11:11:52
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  11:10:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Damn, and I thought it was just a cool game...I didn't know I was supposed to be angry and upset about it.
Clearly the game is beginning to brainwash some kind of religous faith into you.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  11:20:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Originally posted by pleco

Clearly the game is beginning to brainwash some kind of religous faith into you.

Maybe that explains why I'm beginning to like Palin...

j/k

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  11:30:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

So I call bullshit on this entire meme.
I do, too, actually. But then again, I don't know any militant atheists. Maybe Will Wright does.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  12:33:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Indeed.

The article refere to an opinion piece in dailyNebraskan.com.
DAVIS: Video game 'Spore' challenges atheistic beliefs
I took the liberty of posting a comment.

In case it doesn't get approved, here's what I wrote:

Steven Davis writes about "militant atheist" but fail to put "them" in a proper context. What is a militant atheist any way? How many of them are there anyway, compared to vocal religionists? Or even within the small atheistic community?
Steven Davis took cheap shots at atheists because a few of them complained about some religious aspect in Spore, while not mentioning religious people (and religious politicians) are actively pressuring libraries to censor by removing books with "inappropriate content".

I read somewhere that about 10% of the American population is atheistic. That means that religious people outnumber atheists ten to one, and for every "militant atheist" there's ten militant religious radicals.
Calling someone militant implies them being violent, but I've never heard about atheists committing hate crimes against religious people because of their philosophy. On the other hand, religious wackos bombing abortions clinics...

"Video game 'Spore' challenges atheistic beliefs"
No, it doesn't. Its just a game. Physical evidence of God would challenge atheistic beliefs. Jesus Christ, reborn and kicking, would challenge atheistic beliefs. A Tyrannosaurus Rex-fossil holding a sign saying "Repent, the end is near" would challenge atheistic beliefs.

The few atheists who complained about religion in Spore are no different and equally misguided as the religious nutters who travel hundreds or thousands of miles to see the Madonna-looking water stain on the concrete of a highway overpass.

Edit:
Dave_W, can you figure out what's wrong with the link?

[Edited to fix link - Dave W.]

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 09/10/2008 12:35:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.