New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  12:07:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Originally posted by tomk80

Originally posted by chaloobi

Didn't play this weekend...I am at the Civ stage and spent most time designing vehicles and buildings...

Since I played a herbivore and did not attack other species unless provoked, I have been designated a "religious" culture. Boo...
As if religous cultures don't attack unless provoked... So much for realism.

Religious cultures could be cool. Witch hunts, religious wars, a good schism every now and then. I'd go for that.

To be ultra realistic I should be able to acquire the ability to Crush Big Science...
LOL - that could be a technology you research at some point after Scientific Method. Call it something like Voluntary Ignorance or Retrenched Ignorant Superstition. The effect is to reduce war weariness, make citizens happy, and minimize neihboring cultural influence.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  12:12:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That'd be a civic actually 'Isolationism'.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  22:02:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am quite annoyed that one cannot gather more than 99,999,999 SporeBucks in space mode. My spice-trading skillz are the awesome, if I do say so myself, and an artificial limit on the money simply isn't fair.

I am also supremely annoyed at another aspect of the game, but I want to share my pain over that particular annoyance, and so won't reveal it.

By the way, is anyone but Mooner sharing any creations?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  00:52:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Didn't play this weekend...I am at the Civ stage and spent most time designing vehicles and buildings...

Since I played a herbivore and did not attack other species unless provoked, I have been designated a "religious" culture. Boo...
I fiddled with the flying vehicle creator, and made a "religious" vehicle. It's a cool white plane with blue wingtip jets, a loudspeaker on the front, and two pipe organs on the dorsal fuselage. I call it the "Beech Preach-and-Screech."

I also made a land vehicle, a retro-looking contraption with guns in front, called a "Family Touring Destroyer." As with designing characters in City of Heroes/City of Villains, it's easy with Spore to get distracted with just making cool stuff.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  05:30:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I am - my user name is plecostamus. I have quite a collection of religious and military hardware. I took the Spanish/American approach by attacking other cities with religion and military at the same time...made it quite easy. Now I'm in Space mode trying to get the hang of it.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  21:12:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As with designing characters in City of Heroes/City of Villains, it's easy with Spore to get distracted with just making cool stuff.

Man; I used to play CoH. True that I could not level anybody fast, as I want continuously rolling new characters...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  09:38:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hooked.

Anyway, I played as a Predator and pretty much ended up killing my way through the Creature and Tribal phase. I made a few friends but not many. I'm just now starting the Civilization stage for the first time and it's great. There's a giant monster wandering in the woods near my initial city. It doesn't seem to want to threaten me, but I tried to kill it anyway. Not much luck.

When I was playing in Tribal, some of my tribe got abducted by aliens. They took my domesticated thing too. Anyone see anything like that? Pretty funny. Yesterday my son was playing in Creature and came across a crashed space ship - no aliens there, though. Looked like the same design as the abductor in my game. Apparently it was just a decoration as there was nothing cool to pick up. A shame, really. It's a great opportunity to introduce some very unusualy mutations...

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  21:19:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got my class-5 Interstellar Drive tonight. Woot!

On the down side, I wish the spice economy was a little more sophisticated.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  00:50:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

As with designing characters in City of Heroes/City of Villains, it's easy with Spore to get distracted with just making cool stuff.

Man; I used to play CoH. True that I could not level anybody fast, as I want continuously rolling new characters...
It took me years before I had my first (and still only) level 50 "toon" (Galathea, on the Villain side of Protector server). And that slowness at leveling was precisely because I always would put away my strongest characters and start a new one whenever I so much as thought of what I considered a clever name or look. But I forced myself to buckle down for a few months to make Gal one of the very toughest stone/stone brutes around.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  00:51:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Got my class-5 Interstellar Drive tonight. Woot!

On the down side, I wish the spice economy was a little more sophisticated.
I had a stick, for a while.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  21:10:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm up to 92 badges out of 139 in space stage.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  03:50:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  17:15:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a (somewhat) funny review.

Not his best Yatzhee's best work; but topical.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  04:56:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Here is a (somewhat) funny review.

Not his best Yatzhee's best work; but topical.
I agree with the review. The game is a lot of fun in a lot of ways but it's not what was promised. Is promised the right word? It's not the game the developers said they intended to make. Is that a promise?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  09:55:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think I won't buy it. I don't like the idea of buying only three installs and having extra shit being put onto my computer. Even though Mac OS upgrades probably will not result in the need to reinstall, until the day comes when OSX is completely replaced, shit happens.

Also, what was going to be the coolest thing about the game just didn't happen as I understand it. The evolution of your creature, as I understand it, really doesn't enter much into game play nearly as much as other aspects of the game that can be found in other games.

Really, I was hoping for some cool science fun and not a sophisticated Mr Potato head building game that soon becomes a game having nothing to do with my creatures ability to survive based on how it evolved, or continues to evolve.

Pass...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.