Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  00:36:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Lugh Shiva

Public money is spent evacuating those who need help. When somebody refuses to leave, why not let them live or die on their own? Is it the job of the public to pay extra to help those who knowingly risk their lives..?
Dead people don't buy cufflinks...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Zeked
Skeptic Friend

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  02:26:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zeked a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it the job of the public to pay for those who knowingly risk the markets?
end of tangent

It is one thing to help folks in need, but compassion to the human condition and sympathy to the circumstance are clearly separate to me. I can hope folks live and learn. If they don't learn, then I hope they go out without taking out other good folks with them.

Monolithic domes are a hurricane proof construction that has been around since the 70's. If I were to live in a hurricane prone area, I wouldn't build my home any other way. I realize zoning laws make dome homes less likely for approval in many areas because the aesthetic preference of sticks and bricks. Some folks are ignorant of options to reducing risks, some have no economic choice, for others it is a style preference vs. risk.

Some places in the world, like India, have areas that flood and kill many year after year. Life is a constant risk assessment. We always weigh the options and decide with our limited capabilities and resources on how we act to sustain our life.

I don't want or expect the government to help me, rain or shine. I would however be glad for an ambulance ride if I had an accident, through negligence or circumstance. I would also be one to go and help others who were in peril or need of assistance. I would be the last to ask for financial assistance, even if it meant eating my cat or selling my possessions.

Considering historical government infliction of help, I hope we can all learn to do with less such assistance and become more self reliant and be more compassionate to the less inclined or capable. The coming years might just require a change in our attitudes to accept this as the norm.

Some knuckleheads I'd prefer to throttle, but I can hope they live and learn.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  05:09:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Lugh Shiva

Public money is spent evacuating those who need help. When somebody refuses to leave, why not let them live or die on their own? Is it the job of the public to pay extra to help those who knowingly risk their lives..?
Its an interesting question - how much of a safety net should the government provide? If I make a mistake, do I deserve help? People make stupid decisions all the time, I know I've made plenty, and I'd personally hate to lose everything on a moment of bad judgement. The hurricane squatters are a difficult case because they were severely warned and yet still took the risk. I could support some kind of fine to help pay for the costs of rescuing them - though that seems a little harsh considering these folks more or less just lost everything. But I could never support leaving them to die - that's not my vision of what civilization is.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  08:03:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are all sorts of reasons why someone might ignore an evacuation order, everything from simple belligerence, to they've been lied to, all the way down to an organic brain disorder.

Determining the reason why someone stayed will often require more time than the person has in an emergent situation, and so a sound judgement will not be possible.

Therefore, in order to ensure that things that a person has no control over do not become death sentences, we must rescue everyone we can.

On the other hand, following the social Darwinian logic, if a person breaks his leg while enjoying a nice day of skiing on a relatively easy course, everyone should just leave him alone and if he happens to crawl all the way to a hospital on his own, and has enough cash in his pockets to pay for his care, then good for him. Otherwise, his death or permanent disfigurement is all on him, so why should we care? He knew the risks before he got on the slopes, right?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  08:57:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

On the other hand, following the social Darwinian logic, if a person breaks his leg while enjoying a nice day of skiing on a relatively easy course, everyone should just leave him alone and if he happens to crawl all the way to a hospital on his own, and has enough cash in his pockets to pay for his care, then good for him. Otherwise, his death or permanent disfigurement is all on him, so why should we care? He knew the risks before he got on the slopes, right?

Yeah.... You could use the same logic for car accidnets, I guess. We all know how dangerous it is to drive, who doesn't accept that responsibility when they leave on their morning commute? Think of the taxpayer money that gets wasted helping people who take the risk of highway driving.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  01:49:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have no great feeling of sympathy for an individual who was warned to evacuate from an oncoming disaster, but refused to do so. But people like Harry Truman (not the President, but the guy who wouldn't let Mt. Saint Helens make him move) as individuals are probably the exception. Most likely for any Darwin Award-deserving Mr. Moron who, by his own stupidity, gets killed in a hurricane, there is a Mrs. Moron or little Baby Moron who gets dragged into the mess through little or no fault of their own.

I said I didn't have great sympathy for the individual moron, but I do feel that mandatory evacuation orders should be enforced, both to protect the stupid/ignorant, and to prevent people from staying behind just to loot other people's property.

What's with that, anyway? It amazes me that people seem to generally accept that staying put for a tidal surge or a pyroclastic flow is some kind of constitutional right. Honestly, I don't think that was intended in the Bill of Rights.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  07:47:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After Gustav had been merciful to New Orleans, CNN did some interviews with people who'd ignored the evacuation orders. One man said that his wife had died during Katrina because they'd decided to stay in 2005, and it was pretty clear that he had tried to commit suicide by hurricane, staying for Gustav.

This guy didn't need to be fined or otherwise punished, he needs mental health services.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.