VenomFangX defanged
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  11:40:46  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of you may already be familiar with the dishonest creationist turd known as VenomFangX. A self-professed follower of Kent Hovind, VenomFangX rose to notoriety by posting a series of factually challenged creationist videos on Youtube. These videos are a strange mix of insanity and gross error delivered in a tone of smug self-righteousness. But because VenomFangX never allowed anything but pro-creationist comments on his videos, many people were left without a forum to correct his numerous errors.

This led another Youtube user named Thunderf00t to create a video in counter-response: Why do people laugh at creationists?, which skewered VenomFangX on some of his sillier claims. While Thunderf00t has gone on to use his series of videos to tackle a wide range of creationists, VenomFangX has always remained a favorite target.

Now this is where things get interesting. Apparently these two have had a good little feud going for quite some time. While I have not followed it from the beginning, I am more than pleased to be able to report its conclusion. Apparently VenomFangX, morally upright Christian that he is, was falsely reporting to Youtube that Thunderf00t's videos violated the The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, a serious offense that leads Youtube to take down the offending content. But see, here's the rub. VenomFangX lied. There was no copyrighted material in Thunderf00t's videos, VenomFangX was just improperly using the DMCA to pull videos he didn't personally like, a gross violation of free speech. But furthermore, and something VenomFangX apparently failed to consider, filing false DCMA reports constitutes perjury and is considered a criminal act subject to civil penalties. Basically VenomFangX left himself wide open for a lawsuit, and Thunderf00t had every intention of prosecuting VenomFangX to the full extent of the law.

And as much fun as that would have been, it seems an out-of-court settlement between all parties has been reached instead. Ostensibly VenomFangX has learned his lesson and will never again try to use copyright laws to suppress free speech he doesn't like. But beyond that, he was forced to make a video apologizing to the internet for his horrible behavior. And yes he was forced to admit, on camera, to the world, that he is a lying scumbag.

And while every honest person knew this already, my god does it feel good to hear him have to admit it. So hats off to Thunderf00t for demonstrating that sometimes good does triumph over evil, and that in the end creationist dishonesty will always lose out to the honest truth.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie

Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/11/2008 13:01:08

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  12:24:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How sweet it is.....

I wish we could cajole VenomFangX to come in here to argue. It's been a long time since we've seen a dedicated Hovind freak, and they are always fun.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  12:38:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I know that we've posted about these two and their videos here at SFN before. I had no idea that VFX was such an... industry, but it's great that he's shown to be as dishonest as this.

That said, his "apology" was pretty weak. Did he write the script he was reading, or was he told to read that by Thunderf00t?
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  12:56:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist
That said, his "apology" was pretty weak. Did he write the script he was reading, or was he told to read that by Thunderf00t?
Yeah, I know, the apology was a bit "legalistic" in tone, but he does state in no uncertain terms that he lied, "deliberately and repeatedly," which must have killed him to admit. And I really don't know who composed the text of the apology. I'm guessing that Thunderf00t instructed VenomFangX as to what needed to be in the apology, but let VenomFangX compose it himself, although I'm really not sure.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/11/2008 13:01:26
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  13:26:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a big fan of Thunderfoot myself.

That he won a legal on top of the intellectual one (that he won the minute he posted his first video) is amusing although Venomfang spiralled into utter cretinism a while ago.

Anyway, yeah, the text of his apology suggest that he only regrets being caught rather than his actions. But then, many 'liars from Jesus' have little care for human laws and values are they are 'working for a higher purpose'. By (their) definition this purpose is fair and trump anything else; hence justifying any of their action.
This is why religious fanatics, no matter how well attentioned they might seem, are so dangerous...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  19:48:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why wasn't the apology posted by VenomFangX himself? Letting Thunderfoot post it allows VenomFangX an "it's possible to fake all sorts of videos" excuse. As terms of the settlement, I would have demanded that VenomFangX post it himself under his own name, and ensure that comments on it are forever allowed.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  21:08:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If VenomFangX ever got his account banned, then that video would disappear as well.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  21:27:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thunderfoot could still post a copy of it.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  22:23:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of the agreement was for VFX to delete his account for one year. I am not sure what would happen to his video then.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  22:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Part of the agreement was for VFX to delete his account for one year.
Ah, I missed that. Nevermind.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  23:16:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Simon

Part of the agreement was for VFX to delete his account for one year.
Ah, I missed that. Nevermind.
Yeah, I didn't know that either, but my esteem for Thunderf00t just rose considerably. Which is saying a lot, because it was already quite high. So VenomFangX is banned from Youtube? What will he do with himself? Well, there's always GodTube.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  13:58:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PZ has picked up the story on Pharyngula.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  22:40:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's so nice to see VenonFangX eating crow and not looking smug, for a change.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.