Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Debate #3, thank Dog it's the last of 'em!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  03:29:15  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave it to Obama in a walk-away; how 'bout you?

I thought he stayed on message a lot better and his plans made more sense, particularly health care -- where did McCain get the preposterous idea that decent health insurance can be had for a trifeling $5,800 per year?

Also, heh, Obama was wearing a flag pin in his lapel whereas McCain had none. Again. If I were a less generous man, or some sort of super-patriot-fundie-asshole, I'd say he hates America.

All in all, it was, I thought, one of McCain's better showings (he still had the twiches, though) but still not nearly enough. Anyhow, he only said "My friend" once to some fellow called Plumber Joe, and spared my cat a trip through the TV screen, probably followed a pistol ball.

Edit: I see this OP is a little redundant, but I'll leave it up, for the moment, anyway.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/16/2008 03:40:10

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  07:54:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a summary FactCheck did on some of the debate highlights:

Spin and hype were apparent, once again, at the third and final debate between McCain and Obama:

McCain claimed the liberal group ACORN “is now on the verge of maybe perpetrating one of the greatest frauds in voter history ... maybe destroying the fabric of democracy.” In fact, a Republican prosecutor said of the first and biggest ACORN fraud case: “[T]his scheme was not intended to permit illegal voting.” He said $8-an-hour workers turned in made-up voter registration forms rather than doing what ACORN paid them to do.

McCain said “Joe the plumber” faced “much higher taxes” under Obama's tax plan and would pay a fine under Obama's health care plan if he failed to provide coverage for his workers. But Ohio plumber Joe Wurzelbacher would pay higher taxes only if the business he says he wants to buy puts his income over $200,000 a year, and his small business would be exempt from Obama's requirement to provide coverage for workers.

Obama repeated a dubious claim that his health care plan will cut the average family's premiums by $2,500 a year. Experts have found that figure to be overly optimistic.

McCain claimed that Obama's real “object” is a government-run, single-payer health insurance system like those in Canada or England. The McCain campaign points to a quote from five years ago, when Obama told a labor gathering that he was “a proponent of a single-payer health care program.” But Obama has since qualified his enthusiasm for Canadian-style health care, and his current proposal is nothing like that.

Obama incorrectly claimed all of McCain's ads had been “negative.” That was true for one recent week, but not over the entire campaign. And at times Obama has run a higher percentage of attack ads than McCain.

McCain described Colombia as the "largest agricultural importer of our products." Actually, Canada imports the most U.S. farm products, and Colombia is far down the list.

Obama strained to portray himself as willing to break ranks with fellow Democrats. His prime example was his vote for a bill that was supported by 18 Democrats and opposed by 26. Congressional Quarterly rates him as voting with his party 97 percent of the time since becoming a U.S. senator.

Link: http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_debate_no_3.html

I may be a little biased but it seems like McCain's lies are more egregious.

Poor Joe the Plumber.... Obama should have said that if Joe's business does well enough to get higher taxes, he'll be doing pretty well indeed.

And what's wrong with spreading the wealth around? In the same context, McCain's theory is to stack the wealth up onto the lucky few. Obama's is to ask those lucky few to shoulder a bit more of the burden of paying for civilization. And why not? They reap a much greater benefit from what taxes support.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 10/16/2008 07:59:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.