Palin's campaigns against McCain...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  10:28:30  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Slate.

Interesting read.
My opinion is that, at first, McCain's entourage was quite happy to set her as their attack dog.

But as the campaign dragged on and that the ultimate loss seems more inevitable, a dilemma opens to her: Stick to the line and risk being attached to the increasingly probable failure, even being blamed for it, or detaching herself from McCain and blaming everything on HIM.

Of course, she is choosing the second option, as Frank Murkowski can attest, she already proved her willingness to back stab former allies when convenient for her political career...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  11:17:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simon.....

I think by now it must be obvious to your average blind lobotomized mongoloid cretin that Slakeless Sarah is obsessed with a monumental, ravenous ambition to control the country. She is quite possibly the most dangerous Republican politician to appear in modern times!

Obama will win; McCain, the old soldier, will not just fade away, he will explode - literally - and someone will wipe up the mess. But Sarah, Salacious Sarah, will pop to the top of the pile of Republican wing-nuts, and emerge as the Queen of the Crazies! You can bet that you're going to see and hear a great deal more of Pig-Paint Palin!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  12:45:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, once upon a time calling a woman a 'barracuda' could earn you a brisk clout across the chops. How times have changed....

But our Sarah is the real deal 'cuda-wise.

I think that she is indeed getting a little dodging distance between herself and the political juggernaut with the busted axle that McCain is trying to push along. Her fishy eye is toward the future and she plans to get her teeth into a large part of it. Unfortunately, it's on it's way to being only the hard-core Republican base, the religious right and the blind, knee-jerk conservatives, that still favor her. I further think that these will be marginalized for some time to come, if Obama wins.

Oh, we'll still hear from her and she'll be as loud & shrill as steam whistle, but she'll have no impact until at least '12, and not much then if 'That One' does the kind of job that he seems more than capable of doing.

But, she's finally gotten a taste of the big-time and will be loath to give it up. Going back to governing a state with a something like a 600,000 & change population will not sit well with her. She's gonna be fun to watch (with ear protection).

Edit: She's got too much of a void between her cute, little ears to have any real effect among people who do their own thinking.
The CNN.com earned its pay this morning with this bewildered opening salvo about a Sarah Palin rally:

“GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado (CNN) — Taking ‘Joe the plumber' wordplay to an unprecedented new level, Sarah Palin on Monday…” Yes. Sarah Palin escalated her “verbiage” to new vistas of pain by giving a cute nickname to every worker in this godforsaken country, as well as Barack Obama, who has never had a job beyond gang organizing.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/21/2008 13:27:13
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  22:54:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

According to Slate.

Interesting read.
My opinion is that, at first, McCain's entourage was quite happy to set her as their attack dog.

But as the campaign dragged on and that the ultimate loss seems more inevitable, a dilemma opens to her: Stick to the line and risk being attached to the increasingly probable failure, even being blamed for it, or detaching herself from McCain and blaming everything on HIM.

Of course, she is choosing the second option, as Frank Murkowski can attest, she already proved her willingness to back stab former allies when convenient for her political career...
I've been saying all along that Sarah Palin's candidacy is not under the control of McCain. Chosing Palin -- while accepting he would not control her -- was the price McCain paid to get fundy support.

I believe this was a formal deal, made privately between McCain and James Dobson.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/21/2008 23:31:00
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  02:17:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Dog, how did this pathetically ignorant woman ever get into national politics?!
Yesterday, Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK) sat for an interview with KUSA, an NBC affiliate in Colorado. In response to a question sent to the network by a third grader at a local elementary school about what the Vice President does, Palin erroneously argued that the Vice President is "in charge of the United States Senate":

Q: Brandon Garcia wants to know, "What does the Vice President do?"

PALIN: That's something that Piper would ask me! ... [T]hey're in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom.

Read the whole story here.
Comes to that, how did she manage to get into local politics? She seems to not have even the least grasp of the Constitution & the Bill of Rights, and flaunts it like a badge of honor. This then, is what the Republicans would have to succeed Bush after/if McCain dies in office?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  05:08:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that's the Cheney version of the VP, that she admitted on national tv to be a supporter of. Unfortunately, what's left of the Constitution doesn't agree.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  12:22:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Palin Said to Want to Strike Out on Her Own More

-- Even as John McCain and Sarah Palin scramble to close the gap in the final days of the 2008 election, stirrings of a Palin insurgency are complicating the campaign's already-tense internal dynamics.

Four Republicans close to Palin said she has decided increasingly to disregard the advice of the former Bush aides tasked to handle her, creating occasionally tense situations as she travels the country with them. Those Palin supporters, inside the campaign and out, said Palin blames her handlers for a botched rollout and a tarnished public image — even as others in McCain's camp blame the pick of the relatively inexperienced Alaska governor, and her public performance, for McCain's decline.

"She's lost confidence in most of the people on the plane," said a senior Republican who speaks to Palin, referring to her campaign jet. He said Palin had begun to "go rogue" in some of her public pronouncements and decisions.

"I think she'd like to go more rogue," he said.

The emergence of a Palin faction comes as Republicans gird for a battle over the future of their party: Some see her as a charismatic, hawkish conservative leader with the potential, still unrealized, to cross over to attract moderate voters. Anger among Republicans who see Palin as a star and as a potential future leader has boiled over because, they say, they see other senior McCain aides preparing to blame her in the event he is defeated…

Who'd a thunk it?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  19:13:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Maybe there is hope after all?

McCain sources say Palin has gone off message several times, and they privately wonder if the incidents were deliberate. They cited that she labeled robocalls -- recorded messages often used to attack a candidate's opponent -- "irritating" even as the campaign defended their use. Also, they pointed to her telling reporters she disagreed with the campaign's decision to pull out of Michigan.

A second McCain source tells CNN she appears to be looking out for herself more than the McCain campaign.
"She is a diva. She takes no advice from anyone," said this McCain adviser. "She does not have any relationships of trust with any of us, her family or anyone else.
"Also, she is playing for her own future and sees herself as the next leader of the party. Remember: Divas trust only unto themselves as they see themselves as the beginning and end of all wisdom."

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  20:24:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes; this confirms my opinion.
As the campaign is drawing to a close and the a Democratic victory seems to grow in likelihood; many of the Republicans are considering the post election and moving into position for the blame game.

But, more importantly, it might also mark the time of a choice for the Republican party.
In the last decades, it has drifted more and more to the right, shedding away its fiscal conservatism and focussing and religion and social conservatism.
If the Republican loose this elections, and if they loose the congressional ones, there will be a time to ponder the future of the party.

Will the Republicans decide to move back toward the centre? Or will they keep on drifting to the right to the risk of marginalizing themselves?
The answer might lie in who would be blamed with the loss. If it is McCain, it is possible that the GOP will become even more conservative and Palin will rise as a shining star in its ranks...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  01:59:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simon, I think the post-election bickering in the GOP has already begun, with Palin's preemptive strikes.

Common sense would say that indeed the Republican Party, after a major electoral loss due mainly to extremism, would realign toward the center.

In this case, I think common sense is an idiot. The NeoCon right will probably come out of this election with very little political power on the national level, but with even greater control of a vastly winnowed GOP. I think at "best" (I put that in quotes simply because I don't wish the GOP well) it will take another presidential election cycle for the GOP to throw out the fundies, plutocrats and militarists who now have a death grip on the Party. Maybe longer.

I've seen somewhat similar situations before, as in LBJ's landslide victory over "PaleoCon" Barry Goldwater at a time the Democratic Party controlled Congress. Many pundits then said the GOP was finished. They were wrong. The GOP sprang back in just a few years. But this time, I think the ideologue/opportunist coalition that is the NeoCons, by taking what truly will be a near-fascist political stance, will either prevent that rebound for a long time, or force the remaining PaleoCons to form a new, center-right party.

As to who will be blamed for McCain's defeat, that will depend upon whom you ask. The NeoCons will blame McCain and the Devil. McCain will blame Palin and the backstabbing fundies whom he kissed up to by chosing her (particularly those praying for his death!). But history, I suspect, will mainly blame Bush.

[Edit: Spelling]

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/26/2008 22:53:11
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  03:46:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How I do hope that there will be a blood-bath. Who could be more deserving of one? However, the religious right and it's corporate, neo-con claque will still own the party's soul and are unlikely to willingly sign it over to the saner leadership of the party -- some few of whom are abandoning ship for Obama even as we speak. The Republican Party needs to stifle their influence before it can again become a representative of & an advocate for the nation's well-being (a role it hasn't performed since Eisenhower).

A blood-bath, yes, of sorts, but the outcome will likely not favor the party politic. Instead, it might well enscounce the Dobson/Perkins/Wildmon/Scumbag clique even more firmly in control of their future candidates. If the predicted Democrat election blow-out happens -- I remind yet again: that ain't a done deal yet.

I find myself amused & bemused by the latest Republican ploys. Joe the Plumber -- I strongly suspect he was a plant, and now he's turned out to be merely a political vegetable -- and the pitiful Todd girl that was almost touted an an example of racial violence against white women, and would have been if she'd managed her moulage better, and, of course, Palin herself are little more than smoke & mirrors, red herrings in a failing attempt to gain greater control.

Currently, I think that Palin's political career will wane but we will not have seen the last of her. Unless she loses popularity in Alaska, or gets indicted for something, she could stage a come-back, perhaps in Congress. Someday.

Or not. They really are inspired by greed & run by cretins, you know, and I don't see an end to that any time soon.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  09:23:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a more pluripartite system; I would say that a split between Republican moderates (some of which are indeed shifting toward Obama in this election) and the more radical fringe would be a possibility.
In the US; this is probably unlikely as it is accepted that leaving one of the big two equals abandoning all hopes of winning a major election.

So, the question is... 'who will win the party's reins?'.
And, if the fundies do... will the GOP remains viable or will their extremism put off too much of the general population.

One interesting thing that came to my mind is that, political conventions only attire the people highly motivated enough. As such, they form a local microcosm that is not representative of the population at large.
This can be misleading. Many people at the GOP political meetings support Palin over McCain (he was actually booed at several meetings).

So, the GOP leaders will have the mistaken gut feeling that McCain is the problem rather than Palin. This may lead to them privileging fixes that are not what the actual majority of the US population wants...

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  09:46:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If McCain loses, there will no doubt be a kind of inside bloodbath. As one Republican pundit put it, “Turn out the lights and hit the deck. Shots will be fired.”

I don't think the neocons will play much roll in future Republican politics. Anyone with half a brain can see that the nation building strategy has not worked. They had their shot and came up empty. Actually, they came up much worse than empty, which helps to explain Bush's popularity at the moment.

The big C conservatives are disgusted with the growth of government under Bush and some are even endorsing Obama.
I don't expect them to stay on board though. Being the more intellectual wing of the party, they just see McCain as dangerous and are biting the bullet in order to keep the country from self-destructing. Apparently, they would rather see a steady hand at the helm, even if they don't agree with many of the domestic policies that Obama will surely try to intact. They are being pragmatic.

The real base of the party is the RR now. That is the core that can be counted on. Republicans made that deal, because without that mostly blue-collar vote they can't win a national election. The plutocrats might not give a flying fuck about them, really, but they can't do without them either. Expect them to keep kissing ass and possibly even help raise Palin to the parties lead in hopes of being able to control her if she ever makes it into high office.

And then there is this. If, under a strong democratic congress and with Obama as president, there is not a significant improvement in the economy during his first two years, we may see a very strong and largely successful bid by the Republicans for many of those Democratic seats in congress that the Dems will pick up now, and than some, as we did when Clinton was president in 94. Americans are an impatient people.

If the Dems do well, we may also see what amounts to a paradigm shift in American thinking with the pendulum truly swinging back to the left much less tenuously than it's doing now. We may see a less reactive vote and an acceptance that the policies of the right really are more risky to their wallets. I'm speaking of Republican and independent moderates here. The RR core of the party will only be happy when our government becomes a theocracy, and would vote for Bush again right now if he were the candidate. They are beyond reason.

And again, I think the neocon movement is DOA right now. I doubt that they have much of a future in Republican politics.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  14:24:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, here's Rush Limbaugh's take on the matter.

He's on Palin's side.

He asks her what her role in the Republican Party's future is going to be. She says, "I don't know what kind of role the Republican Party would want me to play." Well, make her the head of the party, for one thing! That might be a good idea. "In the past I've not been one to be considered for anything by the hierarchy of the party, certainly not in my state. In some sense, I ran against them in my party," and she's doing it again now!

She's running against her own party. Then she said this: "I would love to promote the party ideals if we're going to live out the ideals, and maybe allow other American voters to understand what the principles of the party are. We've gotta be assured we have enough people in the party who will live out those ideals as not just rhetoric, otherwise I'd be wasting my time. There are a lot of things I would and should be doing." So what she's saying is: "I'm not going to be a Republican if they're not going to be Republicans. I'm not going to beat my head against the wall. If we're going to have just a bunch of flourishing rhetoric people, if we're not going to have people in the party who actually live it and believe it, I'm not going to be part of it.

This is Sarah Palin to Fred Barnes; and that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the rebuilding of the conservative movement -- even if there is no direct leader in charge of making it happen, it will happen by default because it's going to have to. Even if McCain wins, Colin Powell going to come running back? Is Bill Weld going to come running back? Hell, yes, they will! Hell, yes, they'll come running back. They'll do everything they can to stay in the circle of power. Of course they'll come running back. All these people are out for self-interest. That's what Sarah Palin is saying. She's not in it for self-interest. The party had better be what the party is or I don't have any future in it.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  14:44:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  00:12:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This time, Rush is a hoot. He's absolutely glorying in the NeoCon destruction of the Republican Party. Drive out the moderates, "Good riddance!" Yeah, that's the way to become a majority party.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.