Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Obama's first two appointments a disappointment?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2539 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  16:38:11  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are according to PZ Myers:

(bold emphasis mine):
So far, rumors of the first two appointments by Obama leave me worried. Rahm? No, please -- after campaigning on a slogan of "change", buying into one of the most deeply imbedded beltway insiders is not encouraging. Maybe there's some virtue in working with the Democratic establishment, so I can forgive one concession to the status quo, but let's see some innovative thinking, too.

More worrisome is the idea that Robert F. Kennedy Jr. could get a prominent appointment. Orac has torn that one apart, and I agree: we do not need another irrational purveyor of woo and fluffy substanceless hysteria contributing to this country's administration.

One thing you can do is contact the transition team and voice your disapproval. Demand rigor in the people running our government!



>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 11/08/2008 16:41:06

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15821 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  17:28:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for making me aware of this potential problem, t_i!

I have submitted the following comment at the link you provided:
I have been an Obama supporter since before his party nomination. As a teenager far too young to vote, I was a Democratic Precinct Captain during John F. Kennedy's 1960 election campaign.

However, I strongly believe that John F. Kennedy Junior's position on a supposed vaccine/autism link is crackpot, anti-science nonsense. He's part of the witless and dangerous anti-vac movement, which is just as divorced from reality as are the "9/11 truthers."

Please, PLEASE do not consider JFK Jr. for any position in the Obama administration that relates to health or science!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
24978 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  18:36:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner, it's Bobby's kid, not Jack's.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15821 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  20:47:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Mooner, it's Bobby's kid, not Jack's.
D'oh! I hate these senior moments. They last for years, sometimes...

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  21:00:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is my message:


This email is to express my concern about the announcement of Robert F. Kennedy Jr. being considered for the leading of the Environmental Protection Agency.

This is particularly of concern to me because of Mr. Kennedy's outspoken support for the un-scientific idea linking vaccination to the increase in Autism.

Not only is this idea un-supported by any objective data but; more troubling; it leads some parents to reject vaccination for their children.
This increase in the number of non-vaccined children is extremely worrisome, not only does the individual children lack protection against infections but they are more likely to transmit the infection to other, hence disrupting herd immunity and increasing the risk of epidemics.

Ultimately; the stance against against vaccine that Mr. Kennedy is condoning is not only un-supported but is of real concern for the public health of this nation.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  23:02:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no problem with Rahm Emanual as White House CoS. He is a smart guy, knows the territory, and the position is not a cabinet post. You really do need an insider for this job, it will make things run smoothly for you. He is also not one of the crazy-liberal hardliners. He is in charge of something in the house for getting democrats elected (forget the title or whatever), and he has brought in moderate dems (some anti-abortion and some pro-gun people) for some predominantly conservative districts.

He has a rep for being able to get things done in the House, getting bi-partisan support for some legislation, and is not a total asshat like Delay. He can, apparently, be a bit of a dick though. No nonsense guy.

I think he is a smart pick for the job.

Robert Kennedy though..... its only rumors we have at this stage on who is really under consideration for positions. Hope Kennedy isn't getting serious consideration.


Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  23:28:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that, in some situations, rumours like this are engineered as a way to taste the water.
Kennedy, certainly, would be a potentially controversial enough character (substance abuse; criminal record; publicly called the 2004 elections a fraud and supporting the vaccine-autism conspiracy theory...) to justify such prudence.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4573 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  10:14:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

I have no problem with Rahm Emanual as White House CoS. He is a smart guy, knows the territory, and the position is not a cabinet post. You really do need an insider for this job, it will make things run smoothly for you. He is also not one of the crazy-liberal hardliners. He is in charge of something in the house for getting democrats elected (forget the title or whatever), and he has brought in moderate dems (some anti-abortion and some pro-gun people) for some predominantly conservative districts.

He has a rep for being able to get things done in the House, getting bi-partisan support for some legislation, and is not a total asshat like Delay. He can, apparently, be a bit of a dick though. No nonsense guy.

I think he is a smart pick for the job.

Robert Kennedy though..... its only rumors we have at this stage on who is really under consideration for positions. Hope Kennedy isn't getting serious consideration.


This is my take on it as well. Thanks, Dude, of saving me the time to type it out.


"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
12772 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  10:34:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have put in my two cents about Robert Kennedy Jr.

I also have no problem with Obama's pick for chief of staff. Change doesn't mean that you should not have close advisers who know how the system works, and how to work it. It's rather foolish to think otherwise.

Jimmy Carter made that mistake and was unable to get congressional members of his own party to stand behind him. That was his undoing.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Free The West Memphis Three
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  14:48:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ignored.....

Have you seen any other fact or opinion pieces on Kennedy as a woo-woo wacko other than DZ Myers reference to Orac's anti-Kennedy piece? Two things trouble me:

1. DZ gives no other authority than the piece by Orac for his strong statement on Kennedy. It certainly may be true and Kennedy may be a nut case alright, but I would like more than one blogger's opinion!

2. Orac is anonymous:
Finally, Orac's "real" identity is more or less an open secret among some parts of the blogosphere, but he nonetheless keeps using the Orac pseudonym because (1) he doesn't want his blog to be the first thing that comes up when patients Google his "real" name; (2) he has a long history on the Internet under this particular pseudonym; and (3) he likes the persona that the "Orac" pseudonym allows him to take on. Indeed, even if Orac ever decides to ditch the whole anonymity thing, he will likely retain the pseudonym and simply place a link to his faculty page somewhere on the blog.
I would like to be able to google "Orac" meaningfully and get some reading on the man, before totally accepting his strong opinions.


With reference to Rahm Immanuel, I feel DZ is completely off base here. Immanual is widely accepted in both parties as tough as nails, but a man that knows how to get things done. More than any other challenge facing him, Obama needs to get a whole lot of things done (legislation) in a very short time. Immanuel, a left of center liberal, will get things done!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
24978 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  15:40:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RFK Jr's article on "the government cover-up of a mercury/autism scandal."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
12772 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  16:15:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6XQpJC9DI RFK Jr. YouTube on autism.
He says "The science is clear."

What the science says is his claims are demonstrably false.

Removing Thimerosal From Vaccines Did Not Reduce Autism...


Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Free The West Memphis Three
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2539 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  11:35:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

The Ignored.....

Have you seen any other fact or opinion pieces on Kennedy as a woo-woo wacko other than DZ Myers reference to Orac's anti-Kennedy piece? Two things trouble me:

1. DZ gives no other authority than the piece by Orac for his strong statement on Kennedy. It certainly may be true and Kennedy may be a nut case alright, but I would like more than one blogger's opinion!

2. Orac is anonymous:
Finally, Orac's "real" identity is more or less an open secret among some parts of the blogosphere, but he nonetheless keeps using the Orac pseudonym because (1) he doesn't want his blog to be the first thing that comes up when patients Google his "real" name; (2) he has a long history on the Internet under this particular pseudonym; and (3) he likes the persona that the "Orac" pseudonym allows him to take on. Indeed, even if Orac ever decides to ditch the whole anonymity thing, he will likely retain the pseudonym and simply place a link to his faculty page somewhere on the blog.
I would like to be able to google "Orac" meaningfully and get some reading on the man, before totally accepting his strong opinions.


With reference to Rahm Immanuel, I feel DZ is completely off base here. Immanual is widely accepted in both parties as tough as nails, but a man that knows how to get things done. More than any other challenge facing him, Obama needs to get a whole lot of things done (legislation) in a very short time. Immanuel, a left of center liberal, will get things done!

I hope you're right...and no, I haven't seen anything else about RFK until the stuff that got posted here. I may have (hopefully) jumped the gun, but I don't think that there should be any chance that anyone who has less than a stellar reputation should be in the posts that Obama fills. Your country has had too much of that under Bush.

At least some of Obama's other actions seem to be positive.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000