Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Obama supporter attacked McCain supporter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  09:21:30  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PZ Myers has a post about a suspicious story here.

This is the top news story on Fox right now: a McCain volunteer says she was robbed at an ATM, by a black man of course, and then when the thief saw her McCain bumper sticker, he beat her up and carved a "B" for "Barack" in her face.

What makes it suspicious?

According to the FOX article itself:
However, just hours after the alleged assault was made public, some were raising flags about her account.

"There's just a lot of unanswered questions," one source familiar with the investigation told FOXNews.com. "The story just sounds very bizarre."

Police say Todd initially refused medical attention, though FOX News was later told she went to the hospital Thursday. A photo circulating of her on the Internet shows Todd with a black eye and a backward "B" on her right cheek, though the letter is faint.

Blogs and message boards, including on one of Todd's own Web pages, pointed to those details Thursday in raising skepticism about her account.

Can't wait to see how this pans out...I'll bet the Rapture Ready & Prophecy Fellowship people are jumping all over this! You can check them out for yourselves, I'm not up to reading their stuff right now.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 10/24/2008 09:24:50

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  09:31:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an update:

http://www.tmz.com/2008/10/24/pittsburgh-pd-smells-a-rat/

The PD has released a statement saying "We have received photos from the ATM machine at the Citizens Bank and the photographs was (sic) verified as NOT being the victim making the transaction."

Funny, the "B" is backwards, just like if it were done in the mirror by an idiot. Also, her eye got real black real quick.

For some reason, I'm skeptical of her story.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  09:52:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, even some conservatives are reporting that the police are suspicious:

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/10/23/why-that-mccain-volunteers-mutilation-story-smells-awfully-weird/

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  10:05:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/17789356/detail.html

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  11:13:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok... I'd say... Bull.

McCain tried to see if he could use it and decided that it would be discredited to fast and blow up on his face.
Palin, having less scruples and barely any sense of ridicule to speak of went to check it out herself and decided the same...

It will soon be forgotten; I think.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  11:19:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MSNBC just reported the story as a hoax.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  11:30:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Backwards B, that's funny. Life is hard when you're stupid. Who was the shock talk show host who tried to revive his career by faking a neo-Nazi attack in an airport bathroom? Can't remember his name; Morton Downey Junior maybe? The swastika the 'badguys' drew on his forhead was backwards... oops!

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  11:57:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I smelled rodent as soon as I saw a picture of her this morning. I've had a few black eyes in my life, and that ain't one. It's makeup.

Black eyes are always swollen, often shut. And as often as not, there will be a little blood from broken capillaries in the white. When the swelling goes down, it will usually be a lovely shade of yellow/green/purple, and your friends will have seen enough of it that it no longer draws comment.

I didn't catch the 'B' was backwards until mentioned just now. I thought it looked like a fingernail scratch; certainly not a cut.

I'll give her points for a nice try.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  12:42:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are too generous, IMHO.
That was a crappy; shitty; poorly performed try.

Not thinking to advert the mark when carving it in your mirror? That's dumb.
Making it a shallow scratch and pretend it to be a knife cut? That's retarded.

C'mon people! You can do better!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  13:08:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  13:11:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well.. glad it got resolved without riots and legs up for showmans.

The Circus of Carnage... because you should be able to deal with politicians like you do pissant noobs.
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  16:12:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps they should do something about some of their own supporters instead of trying to make the opponent's supporters look just as bad...

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Edited by - Maverick on 10/24/2008 16:13:25
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  16:41:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, John Moody has proven that even idiots can become VP of Fox News:
If Ms. Todd's allegations are proven accurate, some voters may revisit their support for Senator Obama, not because they are racists (with due respect to Rep. John Murtha), but because they suddenly feel they do not know enough about the Democratic nominee.

If the incident turns out to be a hoax, Senator McCain's quest for the presidency is over, forever linked to race-baiting.
There you have it: no matter which way the incident resolved, one of the two main candidates would have to be smeared by association.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  17:33:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only question remaining is: was she on assignment or free-lancing?

It is a sad comment on American politics and politicians that this question should even be thought of, much less asked.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  18:14:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Well, John Moody has proven that even idiots can become VP of Fox News:
If Ms. Todd's allegations are proven accurate, some voters may revisit their support for Senator Obama, not because they are racists (with due respect to Rep. John Murtha), but because they suddenly feel they do not know enough about the Democratic nominee.
If the incident turns out to be a hoax, Senator McCain's quest for the presidency is over, forever linked to race-baiting.
There you have it: no matter which way the incident resolved, one of the two main candidates would have to be smeared by association.

Why would the fact that a deranged criminal prefers Obama to McCain say about Obama's candidacy?

What would the fact that a desperate McCain supporter make a shaky lie say about McCain?

Unless one of the actor is working for one of the party (and how likely is it?) The association will be too fragile too sway anybody but the people that want to be swayed...

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  21:48:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Why would the fact that a deranged criminal prefers Obama to McCain say about Obama's candidacy?

What would the fact that a desperate McCain supporter make a shaky lie say about McCain?
Moody has made it clear that guilt-by-association and race-baiting are the only things that Fox News understand, as those are the only possibilities that are being entertained.

I think it's good for everyone that the network's vacuity is (once again) exposed for all to see.
Unless one of the actor is working for one of the party (and how likely is it?) The association will be too fragile too sway anybody but the people that want to be swayed...
No, the story wouldn't sway anyone but those already swayed.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.