Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  09:49:24  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another stinking glob in the mess that W. is generously going to let behind for other to deal with...

Personally, I'd like the US administration to offer the American Nationality to anyone wrongly imprisoned in Guantanamo.

Because: -after years of wrongful imprisonment, the US OWE these people some form of compensation. And nationality to a developed country IS a valuable commodity, so, that's a start.
-for some of them, their government won't care if they are innocent or not and they won't make it further than the back alley closest to the airport.
-many of these people will be definitively pissed off. Better to keep them where the US government can have an eye on them rather than sending them back where they can be recruited/serve as propaganda tools by the bad guys (not Bush/Cheney, the other bad guys).

Obviously, it might be difficult to sell.
I imagine that Faux & affiliate will spin it into Obama welcoming known terrorists (wilfully ignoring the part about them being innocents)

Edit: Fixing a spelling mistake in the title.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996

Edited by - Simon on 11/25/2008 09:50:55

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  01:06:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon
Another stinking glob in the mess that W. is generously going to let behind for other to deal with...

Personally, I'd like the US administration to offer the American Nationality to anyone wrongly imprisoned in Guantanamo.

Because: -after years of wrongful imprisonment, the US OWE these people some form of compensation. And nationality to a developed country IS a valuable commodity, so, that's a start.
-for some of them, their government won't care if they are innocent or not and they won't make it further than the back alley closest to the airport.
-many of these people will be definitively pissed off. Better to keep them where the US government can have an eye on them rather than sending them back where they can be recruited/serve as propaganda tools by the bad guys (not Bush/Cheney, the other bad guys).

Obviously, it might be difficult to sell.
I imagine that Faux & affiliate will spin it into Obama welcoming known terrorists (wilfully ignoring the part about them being innocents)

Edit: Fixing a spelling mistake in the title.

Yes, that would be a very hard sell. I can't imagine any argument that would make that seem like a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  07:49:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other than "doing the right thing", compensating innocent people for harm done against them.

In most civilised countries, people who's lifes are ruined by miscarriage of justice are entitled to compensation.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  11:35:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, that would be a very hard sell. I can't imagine any argument that would make that seem like a good idea.

Well, I just gave you four of them.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  13:50:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actions speak louder than words. Don't just talk about releasing them in the US, start a movement, an organization, devoted to making it happen. Take it one step further, and help them find homes in your neighborhood. The timing is perfect – not only does Obama want to close Gitmo, but just about every neighborhood has several properties available at deep discounts. Create an organization to buy empty homes in your neighborhood and offer them as gifts them to detainees, as part of their justly deserved compensation. What better way to apologize than to buy them a house? You'd be able to invite them over for a B-B-Q on a regular basis.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  16:03:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, first of all, not being a US citizen, it is not really my place to do so...

Plus, a lot of these people will want to go back to their native country and never hear about the US ever again.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  17:29:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
Other than "doing the right thing", compensating innocent people for harm done against them.

In most civilised countries, people who's lifes are ruined by miscarriage of justice are entitled to compensation.

Are you making the assertion that everyone held at Gitmo is innocent?
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  17:31:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, I just gave you four of them.

You did give four arguments. None of them made it seem like a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  18:16:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Mycroft

At this point? Yes.
Most of the people imprisoned at Gitmo were innocent to being with.

The rare guilty people that managed to find their way in there are not going to be released anyway, here the US or elsewhere so, they are not the point of this post.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  00:28:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote

At this point? Yes.
Most of the people imprisoned at Gitmo were innocent to being with.

The rare guilty people that managed to find their way in there are not going to be released anyway, here the US or elsewhere so, they are not the point of this post.

I'd be curious to see what evidence you have for this assertion.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  04:12:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Jurisprudence of civilised countries says people should be considered innocent until proven guilty in the court of law.

(Please I'd like some input on my language skill above: I'm a bit uncertain how to treat the word judisprudence, but it was the closest word I could find)

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  04:44:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering the accused to be legally innocent until proven guilty is the civilized standard to which the Bush administration has failed to abide. That is not the same thing as "innocent" as in not wanting to kill every American they could get their hands upon if they were released. I certainly don't want those people loose in America. Even the (hopefully few) of them who were imprisoned in error in the first place are likely to be bitter haters of Americans in general by now.

It's one thing to insist upon human rights and proper justice; that's being civilized. It's a totally different thing to confuse a legally presumed innocent person with a nice guy. That's being suicidal.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/29/2008 17:20:59
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  18:01:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'd be curious to see what evidence you have for this assertion.

First of all, as other mentioned, these people are all innocent, if only because they never were proven guilty.

Furthermore, do you know how these people got arrested?
When the US rolled in into Afghanistan, they arrested everybody that was suspected of being a Taliban.

That made sense at the time, because nobody was ready to let somebody slips out that might later prove to have been involved in 9/11.

So, one testimony was enough to get you arrested. I remember the story of a taxi driver that got arrested on a denunciation from a competitor...

To make thing even worse, the US did give money for denunciation, so people got denounced only for the bounty.

It actually is fairly well known and the military in Afghanistan never made much an effort to hide it.
The problem really came that this very temporary solution become permanent for political reason, mainly because the current administration would rather keep innocent in prison rather than admit mistakes.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  19:16:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, as other mentioned, these people are all innocent, if only because they never were proven guilty.

Two points:

1) The presumption of innocence due an accused criminal is very different from being innocent. Even in our justice system, the accused are often held on remand, in custody, pending the outcome of their trial.

2) Prisoners taken in battle are not the same as accused criminals.

Furthermore, do you know how these people got arrested?
When the US rolled in into Afghanistan, they arrested everybody that was suspected of being a Taliban.

That made sense at the time, because nobody was ready to let somebody slips out that might later prove to have been involved in 9/11.

So, one testimony was enough to get you arrested. I remember the story of a taxi driver that got arrested on a denunciation from a competitor...

Are you claiming that describes every prisoner in Gitmo? All of them?

To make thing even worse, the US did give money for denunciation, so people got denounced only for the bounty.

I think you need to read that page again.

Contrary to Simpson's reading, the study does not indicate how many detainees were captured by bounty hunters. It merely refers to the detainees captured by non-U.S. forces "at a time in which the United States offered large bounties for capture of suspected enemies."

Paying a bounty isn't the same as paying for a denunciation.

It actually is fairly well known and the military in Afghanistan never made much an effort to hide it.
The problem really came that this very temporary solution become permanent for political reason, mainly because the current administration would rather keep innocent in prison rather than admit mistakes.

Approximately one third of the prisoners held at Guantanamo have been released. One might certainly argue that's not enough, or that the procedures for determining who are held need to be reviewed, but the fact that so many have already been released stands as evidence that they're not being held only so that the current administration doesn't need to admit mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  05:46:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you claiming that describes every prisoner in Gitmo? All of them?

Do you have reading disability or comprehension problems. Nowhere did he indicate that everyone there were non-combattants and not Taliban. Just that the military was trawling with fine mesh when they should have been trolling.

Approximately one third of the prisoners held at Guantanamo have been released.
...which shows that many who were captured actually were victims of circumstance rather than nefarious terrorists.

I can't think of more effective ways to manufacture America-hating terrorists than sticking innocent people in a prison camp and torture them for years, as has been done in Guantanamo. So perhaps this is a case of self-fulfilling prophecies.
Their provoked hatred and an inadequate defence will certainly make them convict themselves in a biased military court. Bush and Cheney won't have much trouble stacking the judging panel for an easy conviction.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  15:55:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have reading disability or comprehension problems.

I think it's desirable that people of different points of view be able to discuss those differences without resorting to insults. I hope that upon consideration you decide to agree with me on this point. Although I myself am not perfect in this way, I want you to know that if I ever say anything you find offensive or belittling, that in the interest of good communication I will make a commitment to reconsider my words and rephrase them in ways that are more productive.

To address the issue you raise, I believe Simon probably does not believe that every prisoner at Guantanamo Bay came to be a prisoner in this way even though the way he phrases his assertions suggests he does. In asking the question, I hoped to give him the opportunity to clarify his opinion without making any assumptions of my own, and in the process finding a point of agreement on which we can build further communication.

…which shows that many who were captured actually were victims of circumstance rather than nefarious terrorists.

I wouldn't disagree with that. I think we can take it as a given that at least some of the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay are either innocent or at least are not guilty of anything so egregious as to be sent there.

I can't think of more effective ways to manufacture America-hating terrorists than sticking innocent people in a prison camp and torture them for years, as has been done in Guantanamo.

I can think of far more effective ways to manufacture terrorists.

Most people who suffer an injustice do not respond by becoming terrorists.

Bush and Cheney won't have much trouble stacking the judging panel for an easy conviction.

Bush & Cheney will be gone in just a few months, so they will no longer be in a position to stack any judging panels.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.