The "Best" of the Bible-Thumpers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  00:29:54  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I'm concerned, every televangelist deserves to be sent directly to the Hell he or she falsely proclaims to exist. However, it occurs to me that some of them are also quite entertaining. I'd like to explore people's thoughts about their own choice(s) for "best" televangelist.

Dr Eugene Scott (1929-2005)

For me, the obvious choice is the late Eugene Scott, a Los Angeles preacher who, if nothing else, was an intellectual, and interesting. Scott, armed with a stogie, a hat, and a dry-erase board, would go on for hours "proving" one or another weird theory, such as the descent of the Scottish people from Hebrew Tribe of Dan.

In his prime, his televised ministry would haul in a cool million a month. I remember tuning in to his show one late night to find that he was upset with a lack of donors, and to make clear his wrath, had decided simply to sit in his chair and silently glare at the camera for hours, until the donations became more to his taste. And, man, could that guy glare!

I never gave Scott a cent, but I was always fascinated by his banter. The man could entertain.

[Edited to add this link about the "best" (Gene Scott) and "worst" (D. James Kennedy) of deceased televangelists.]

Who do you like (as an entertainer) among past or present TV preachers, and what do you like about them?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/26/2008 01:16:15

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  01:19:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This guy will forever be my favorite preacher.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  01:37:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

This guy will forever be my favorite preacher.

That guy is cool. Like him, though to a lesser degree, Scott also used profanity in his preaching.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  02:59:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never watched enough toob to have a favorite much-of-anything, but in the early '70s my ex liked this character.

She even made the mistake of writing an attaboy to him (no cash), resulting in a deluge of literature in the mailbox. Most of it was anti-evolution, pro-end times, and very nicely done in a slick, magazine format. I recall one that explained why woodpeckers don't bash their brains loose at breakfast. Anatomically at least, it was accurate.

If I have an extant favorite, it would have to be Oral Roberts.
Oral Roberts claimed that he received a vision, or revelation, from God. In the vision he claimed that God told him to build the City of Faith Medical Center. He also claimed that he saw a 900 foot tall Jesus, who said that the City of Faith would be successful. Four years later, in 1981, he opened the City of Faith.

Oral Roberts: said that Jesus Christ appeared to him in person (not a vision) and told him to find a cure for cancer. So far, he has not found that cure.

Oral Roberts said that God told him the following:
"I want you to use the ORU medical school to put My medical presence in the earth. I want you to get this going in one year or I will call you home. It will cost $8 million and I want you to believe you can raise it."

In January Oral Roberts said that God spoke to him and told him that he had not sent out any medical missionaries from the university or City of Faith. God instructed him to raise $8 million by March of the same year or God would take him home (presumably God would kill Oral Roberts or translate him to heaven like Enoch).
The money raised was to provide full scholastic scholarships for medical missionaries who would be sent to other countries.
He claimed that $3.5 million had already been raised, but he needed $4.5 million more by March 1, in order to get the full $8 million and prevent God from taking him home.

On April 1 Oral Roberts said that he had received $9.1 million which was $1.1 million more that was required by God.

In November, Oral Roberts announced that the City of Faith would be closing down.

In January, Oral Roberts discontinued the medical scholarships. Apparently he was no longer afraid that God was going to take him home.

In March, the medical scholarship fund went bankrupt. If any students wished to transfer to any other institution, they were required to repay their scholarships at 18% interest.

In September, Oral Roberts closed the City of Faith.
What's not to love, eh?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 11/26/2008 03:03:38
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  09:27:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gene Scott is a good choice. He talked and talked and I never had a clue as to what he was talking about. But he had attitude.

But my favorites were Jim And Tammy Faye Bakker. Tammy was great and always managed to cry on every show.

Jim Bakker along with Tammy Fay founded the PTL Ministries which went down in ruin when Jim Bakker was sent to prison on various charges of money misuse including a $279,000 payoff to silence Jessica Hahn who he had been diddling on the side.

But really, it's Tammy Fay who I loved. She was an icon of ketch and a rebel, even among television evangelists. Her feud with Jerry Fallwell, who she accused of being a vulture by taking over the PTL on false pretenses, is the stuff of legend.

And then there is this:
In 2005, she appeared in an infomercial for alternative medicine promoter Kevin Trudeau, an appearance she later admitted that she regretted.

Despite her background in "Christian" fundamentalism, Tammy Faye has become a gay icon since her parting from PTL, cheerfully appearing even in Gay Pride marches with such figures as Lady Bunny and Bruce Vilanch.

Tammy was nothing if not entertaining…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2008 :  19:46:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[i]Originally posted by HalfMoonerI remember tuning in to his show one late night to find that he was upset with a lack of donors, and to make clear his wrath, had decided simply to sit in his chair and silently glare at the camera for hours, until the donations became more to his taste. And, man, could that guy glare!

I remember that night too! My brother and I used to watch that guy, he was a hoot, never quite figured out if he was genuine or pulling a big con. (Okay, they all are, but you know what I mean) If I recall correctly the jazz band he had was pretty good too. No Duke Ellington Orchestra, but listenable.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  02:02:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

[i]Originally posted by HalfMoonerI remember tuning in to his show one late night to find that he was upset with a lack of donors, and to make clear his wrath, had decided simply to sit in his chair and silently glare at the camera for hours, until the donations became more to his taste. And, man, could that guy glare!

I remember that night too! My brother and I used to watch that guy, he was a hoot, never quite figured out if he was genuine or pulling a big con. (Okay, they all are, but you know what I mean) If I recall correctly the jazz band he had was pretty good too. No Duke Ellington Orchestra, but listenable.
I just loved that night, if only for his gutsy violation of TV's Commandment against dead air.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.57 seconds.