Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  20:59:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I do hope that I'm remaining civil.
I couldn't, but honestly how could I resist? Still, I probably just gave them the excuse they need to tune out dissent.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  21:09:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I do hope that I'm remaining civil.

You seem to be presenting yourself well as far as I can tell, although I don't think you need vindication from me.

H.H.'s comment was unfortunate though. Gives them ammunition. I understand the intent, but in the context of that conversation and the way it was shaping up...

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  21:29:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas
H.H.'s comment was unfortunate though. Gives them ammunition.
Not really, as it was directed against a single person who already decided to engage in insults. They can't really fault me for turning Mark's words back on himself. Well, not without revealing themselves as outrageous hypocrites and in the process losing the entire argument.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  21:43:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

H.H.'s comment was unfortunate though. Gives them ammunition.
Not really, as it was directed against a single person who already decided to engage in insults. They can't really fault me for turning Mark's words back on himself. Well, not without revealing themselves as outrageous hypocrites and in the process losing the entire argument.

I suspect your own post previous provides a better argument than I can, so I'll let your own words do the talking.

Hmmm. It seems there is a lengthy thread on the JREF forums on just this topic. It seems the author goes by the handle Limbo over there and he has quoted both Dave and I. At least our initial posts...

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  22:31:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it's just a copy-and-paste. The OP in that JREF thread is Limbo copying-and-pasting the previous McLuhan thread, and asking for comment on it by psychologists. Because his next comment over there invoked "these guys" in reference to McLuhan's blog, I've got to conclude that he's not "one of them."

I've replied to both you guys over on Paranormalia. May as well keep everything out in the open, no?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  23:16:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Actually, it's just a copy-and-paste. The OP in that JREF thread is Limbo copying-and-pasting the previous McLuhan thread, and asking for comment on it by psychologists. Because his next comment over there invoked "these guys" in reference to McLuhan's blog, I've got to conclude that he's not "one of them."

I'll take that as a tentative correction until I learn otherwise. Thank you.

Double-checked. I stand corrected..

I've replied to both you guys over on Paranormalia. May as well keep everything out in the open, no?

Of course. I suspect you were not inviting a discussion on the ownership of public discourse, but if you feel I am harming your conversation, I shall make a tactical retreat.

Too bad. I was hoping to further discuss militancy with Major. Oh well. He seems to have a double-standard at work... ;)

Edited by - dglas on 11/30/2008 23:22:37
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  23:32:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Of course. I suspect you were not inviting a discussion on the ownership of public discourse, but if you feel I am harming your conversation, I shall make a tactical retreat.
Nononono! I just specifically want to see how Mr. "skeptics shouldn't be so abusive, but should focus on the substance" McLuhan responds to one of "his own" behaving in such a facepalmingly vitriolic manner. It's a matter of focus, not harm.
Too bad. I was hoping to further discuss militancy with Major. Oh well. He seems to have a double-standard at work... ;)
Eh. The Major's last response to me seemed to indicate disinterest in the subject at hand, reiterating the "some people are ruder than others" theme that has not been my objection. How rude the "skeptics" are really isn't relevant once one has agreed that they can be pretty rude, no?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  14:51:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For anyone who might have as much trouble finding it as I did, here is page two of the comments for the "Reply to Skeptics" post at Paranormalia.

The Major is back in the game. Mark gave us all the big kiss-off.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  22:02:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randi's response

McLuhan moved it up ahead in the line of responses so it appears on the essay page.

Edited to add:

Oh cool. My note got him there.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  22:15:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
Oh cool. My note got him there.
Very cool.

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  01:57:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good for you, Kil.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  13:50:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, somehow we've gotten off on a determinism tangent. But both the Major and Michael Prescott seem to think that determinism argues against psi or against consciousness being separate from the brain. Go figure.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  16:51:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave....

Can I answer? Huh? Huh? Can I? Can I? Pweeeeeze! ;)

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  17:31:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good grief, who's stopping you?!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  17:55:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Good grief, who's stopping you?!

Hehehe. Just teasing...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.