Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  12:12:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My uncle got the same virus. We wiped his computer clean and started from scratch. That's another way to handle it.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

UniConst

15 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  12:16:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UniConst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very sad to hear about ur disaster, Trish. Have always used someone else's computer (public ones) as I'm doing now.

Am thinking about buying a computer and accessing Web via WiFi. (Have I said that rite?)

Am planning to wipe the disk clean of Windows and installing either Linux or BSD. Hope I'll still be able to access this and other boards.

Anyone know a good computer-software advice board? Has anyone here played with Unix rather than using MS Windows?

The Universe is not constant.
Go to Top of Page

UniConst

15 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  12:23:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UniConst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"My uncle got the same virus. We wiped his computer clean and
started from scratch. That's another way to handle it."

Once read about someone who routinely wiped his disk ONCE A WEEK and reinstalled everything.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  13:25:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by UniConst

Very sad to hear about ur disaster, Trish. Have always used someone else's computer (public ones) as I'm doing now.

Am thinking about buying a computer and accessing Web via WiFi. (Have I said that rite?)

Am planning to wipe the disk clean of Windows and installing either Linux or BSD. Hope I'll still be able to access this and other boards.

Anyone know a good computer-software advice board? Has anyone here played with Unix rather than using MS Windows?
OSX is built on Unix.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  15:01:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I've played with Unix on a Sun system. But I was running Autocad at the time and cad and windows didn't really like each other. I've also played with Linux - the unix version for the every day guy. Works well and is much simpler to boot than Unix.

Randy - always doing well.

Astro- that was the last resort effort if the pros couldn't get this computer clean. Fortunately it didn't go that far - but still lost some info.

Chaloobi - I went away from Norton because it was less effective than McAfee and more cpu intensive. Recently found that Mcafee and norton both are somehow getting bypassed by this virus - Unless they've come up with a fix for the virus problem....recently. But the guys I went to said that Norton and Mcafee users keep them in business because of the viruses that get past. PCTools has a good rating from whatever the computer rag was I used to read all the time. PC something or other I'm sure.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  17:32:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If you're planning on using a wireless card with a Linux system, be prepared for a nightmare of installing drivers. It may not be, but from my experience a few years ago, it was. I'd get everything working then the kernel would update and the wireless card wouldn't work again. I had to write my own script that would auto execute on start up, and that only worked after countless hours and days of playing around with it.

Maybe things have changed in the last few years.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  17:33:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Trish

It seems I can no longer set wallpaper because the administrator on the computer - that would be me - has blocked that function. However, this one was accomplished by the virus. And I can not unblock that function. I can no longer see thumbnails of my pics on the computer either.

For XP, there is a program by Microsoft called TweakUI which allows you access to a whole slew of options that you can't otherwise get to. All it really does is modify the registry. I don't know if there is an equivalent for Vista, but that's what I would look for.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

UniConst

15 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  13:10:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UniConst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Ricky:
If you're planning on using a wireless card with a Linux system, be prepared for a nightmare of installing drivers.

Ran an olde version of Linux several years ago. Partitioned my hard drive and installed it in the new partition. To use "nightmare" as descriptor would be vast UNDERstatement. Could hardely get it to boot--and then it would discombobulate itself on no-notice, at some randome time. UGH. Am really planning on OpenBSD with NO partitioning! Thanks tho.

Go to Top of Page

UniConst

15 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  13:14:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UniConst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Kil:
OSX is built on Unix.
Never heard of OSX. Any refs? (It couldn't be worse than Windows, tho, could it?)

(I've got both olde Linux and Open BSD on CD Rom; so will probably use one or the other. )

Edited by - UniConst on 12/17/2008 13:20:07
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  13:15:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Never heard of OSX. Any refs? (It couldn't be worse than Windows, tho, could it?)
Sure it could!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

UniConst

15 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  13:37:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UniConst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Sure it could!

Dearest Dave:

Remember looking at Mac when it first came out. A true "Black Box". Asked if you could program it, on it, but was told that took a thing called a Lisa -- which you couldn't buy. My math prof (one each Sheldon Axler) had a Mac and liked it but....

Then went to look at the new IBM machines; but they had NO software whatsoever that ran on them. (But was told that you could program your own software--if u were up to it.) Much as I wanted my very own computer, I decided to skip the chance -- for several years.

(to those who didnt read Dave's ref: OSX is Mac's new Oper Sys. )

Go to Top of Page

UniConst

15 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  13:43:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UniConst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Trish:
I've played with Unix on a Sun system. But I was running Autocad at the time and cad and windows didn't really like each other. I've also played with Linux - the unix version for the every day guy. Works well and is much simpler to boot than Unix.
Thanks Trish, but as you might have read above, i've had some serious problems with Linus. Will probably stick with Open BSD.

Edited by - UniConst on 12/17/2008 13:46:05
Go to Top of Page

UniConst

15 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  13:49:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UniConst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Errr, ummm:
Does anyone say "Linux" with a short "i" rather than with a long "i" -- as in "Linus", the first name of the original author of the OS?

Edited by - UniConst on 12/17/2008 13:50:59
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  14:59:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

From Ricky:
If you're planning on using a wireless card with a Linux system, be prepared for a nightmare of installing drivers.

Ran an olde version of Linux several years ago. Partitioned my hard drive and installed it in the new partition. To use "nightmare" as descriptor would be vast UNDERstatement. Could hardely get it to boot--and then it would discombobulate itself on no-notice, at some randome time. UGH. Am really planning on OpenBSD with NO partitioning! Thanks tho.

I've heard of problems trying to install Windows after installing Linux, but never the other way around. Partitioning has not been a problem in my experience, I used to have a laptop with dual boot.

Does anyone say "Linux" with a short "i" rather than with a long "i" -- as in "Linus", the first name of the original author of the OS?

I typically say "Lin-ux". But when around people who I'm pretty sure have never heard the term, I sometimes throw in a "Lie-nux"

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

UniConst

15 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  15:40:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UniConst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky:
I typically say "Lin-ux". But when around people who I'm pretty sure have never heard the term, I sometimes throw in a "Lie-nux"

Me too.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.