Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  13:05:39  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link.

As we all know by now, Bush surprised the Iraqis with yet another secret visit. And he learned a little of Iraqi culture, a subject he has been woefully ignorant of from the get-go.
In his surprise final visit to Iraq this weekend, President Bush got an unusual reminder of his lack of popularity.

They were about a size 10.

An Iraqi journalist throw his shoes at Bush during a meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki in Baghdad. Bush ducked both throws and neither leader was hit.
And as a special bonus prize, for us, not them:
White House spokeswoman Dana Perino suffered a black eye from a microphone that hit her in the ensuing chaos.
I wouldn't have wished it on her, but she's such a lying skank (it's in the Republican presidential-spokesperson job description) that I have small sympathy.

May the next shoe, figurative or literal, that comes at him be a size 14 steel-toe and delivered with improved accuracy.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  17:43:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope the journalist does not get in any real troubles...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  18:31:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People over at PZ's blog are going a little nuts over this, screeching about PZ "condoning" this "violent" act.

Please. Showing the sole of a shoe to someone is one of the biggest "up yours!" statements in that society. Throwing a shoe just adds exclamation points. It's not intended as an act of violence (though there's bonus insult if it strikes).

When the statue of Saddam was torn down in 2003, joyous Iraqis took turns whacking the statue's face with their shoes. The thrown shoe isn't intended to cause physical harm, it's intended as a grave insult. Zaidi shouted "This is a goodbye kiss, you cur," as he did it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  22:26:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If that had happened in Holland, it would have counted as an assassination attempt:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/15/2008 04:32:35
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  03:41:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I am concerned, Mr. al-Zaidi should be an international inspiration and Bush should see little beyond shoe soles for all of his remaining years.

Zaidi should be rewarded rather than punished.

Here's another one for ya, Smirky!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/15/2008 03:55:44
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  04:45:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

People over at PZ's blog are going a little nuts over this, screeching about PZ "condoning" this "violent" act.

Please. Showing the sole of a shoe to someone is one of the biggest "up yours!" statements in that society. Throwing a shoe just adds exclamation points. It's not intended as an act of violence (though there's bonus insult if it strikes).

When the statue of Saddam was torn down in 2003, joyous Iraqis took turns whacking the statue's face with their shoes. The thrown shoe isn't intended to cause physical harm, it's intended as a grave insult. Zaidi shouted "This is a goodbye kiss, you cur," as he did it.
Well, I like the Hell out of the idea. I truly expect Bush to pardon himself for all his deadly crimes before he leaves office. That injustice, if it happens, is why I hope Dubya has shoes thrown at him by an outraged public for the rest of his miserable life.

Do I think shoe-throwing is right? Hell, no. And I won't do it, nor advocate others do so, either. And anyone who does such a deed should have the courage of his convictions to accept a righteous misdemeanor or felony conviction for tossing a shoe or two. I admit I don't, so this will remain a thought crime for me. But I can't help but dream of a parade sometime down the road, where this smug bastard is hit with tens of thousands of shoes from every direction. Imagine the barefooted miscreants running in every direction.

Shame on me, but that would float my boat.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/15/2008 04:51:22
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  06:38:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I don't think making contact with the shoe is absolutely necessary to pass on a deadly insult. just hold it up and show him the dog-shit stains and chewing gum on it's sole.

In Bush's case that would be especially effective as he has already had to duck one.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  07:30:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The journalist also called him a dog, which really bothered my mutt. I had to console him with salami.

I hope Bush's pet 'fledgling democracy' doesn't torture the journalist too much. I'm sure it would be worth it to him, though.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  07:47:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That audience had to be pretty well screened. I can't imagine Bush going anywhere in the world without everyone coming within 100 feet of him being okayed by someone. I imagine the person that okayed this journalist will be facing almost as tough a day as the guy that threw the shoe.

The journalist will be a hero to a lot of people even if he has to spend time in the pokey. The Iraqis that grabbed him and held him down were probably pushing money in his pockets and dry humping him.

Poor guy. He said good by to Bush as though Bush leaving will make much difference.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  10:37:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

If that had happened in Holland, it would have counted as an assassination attempt:

Skuttle-butt now is that there actually were two throwers, not just the one reporter as shown.
And, on a more sinister note, is that Payless Fahed-Shoe-ways, the international conglomerate, was somehow involved.
Oliver Stone is working for movie rights/script to the conspiracy. Will Ferrell to play Bush; Borat, the reporter. Kevin Costner plays the Air Force One pilot.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  11:04:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thousands demand release of the reporter:

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2008/12/15-3

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  14:26:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Predictably, the Rude Pundit has some thoughts on the matter.
The Rude Pundit
Proudly lowering the level of political discourse

12/15/2008
Because We Won't Have Him to Kick Around Much Longer, Part 2 (Featuring Shoes and a Fun and Easy Real Protest Idea):
This morning, the Rude Pundit decided to honor the efforts of Muntader al-Zaidi, the Iraqi shoe-tosser, by taking out a raggedy old pair of sneakers, putting them in a Priority Mail shipping box, helpfully provided by the United States Post Office, and shipping them to President George W. Bush at the White House. He included a note that read, "This is a farewell kiss from the American people, you dog."
I'm looking for just the right shoe, or even a left, as we speak.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  16:14:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another reason to not like Bush?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  16:47:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Arrogant little gonococcus, isn't he?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  17:09:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Since when do we need more reasons?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Edited by - Simon on 12/15/2008 18:20:39
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  19:37:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone catch the video of the shoe attack? He friggin' chucked that shoe hard. I have to say I was impressed by GW's reactions. If it was me, I'd have got beaned. And I oh so really wish that shoe would have smacked him in the face. I really do.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.