"Miracle" at the Denver airport
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  20:28:47  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firefighter recalls a miracle on a Denver runway
Firefighter: Miracle no one died on Denver runway

I've had enough of journalists highlighting quotes from people that "miracles" have occurred when fewer people are grieviously harmed in a disaster, than could have been.

I've sent this email to the Associated Press, info at ap.org:

The time has come for me to comment when I see yet one more news story which headlines, and opens with, reference to a "miracle" having occurred when less injury or death occurred at the site of some disaster, than was possible. I understand that the firefighters on the scene were impressed by the intensity of the fire, but please, as journalists, think critically here: Do you really have evidence of a miracle?

Or is it possible that the better-than-expected outcome could have been the result of any or all of the following:
(1) safety measures in airplane engineering
(2) extensive emergency-preparedness training, and rapid, professional action by the airline crew
(3) physics, in that the plane came to rest in the bottom of a ravine without its landing gear, thus the passengers were able to simply step out of the plane
(4) luck; coincidence; serendipity - events which we consider in these categories happen all the time & are actually part of the normal range of possible events & outcomes

It is really a miracle when a disaster occurs, and the outcome isn't as bad as it could have been? The plane crashed - it's a "miracle"! Well, actually, many of the passengers or crew probably considered it a "disaster" - but that's not as good a quote. I suspect that the first line would have been more accurate if it'd read, instead, "Quick action by crew, passengers avert death in a Denver plane crash..." - but that's not as eye-catching as the "miracle" quote, either.

Isn't it a miracle when a plane takes off and everything goes smoothly? Oh, wait - that's just the result of modern aeronautical engineering, based on physics, as well as airline safety regulation and repeated quality improvement efforts.

Thank you for bringing us the news, and for considering this feedback in the angle taken in future disaster stories.

IMO, the "miracle" angle in the first link above is especially egregious, as the text of the story includes this description: "The emergency slides on Continental Airlines Flight 1404 had deployed. But with the landing gear sheared off, passengers simply stepped out the doors on the left side — the right side was on fire — and to the ground."

Oh, yeah. That sounds like it could only be explained as a miracle.

Of course, I know that there's something of a common meaning of "miracle" which means "amazing", not necessarily "divine intervention", and I know that putting "miracle" in the headline probably garners more readers than "disaster", but I for one am sick and tired of the use of that word for non-miraculous events.

I'll let y'all know if I hear back from them. (Don't hold your breath.)

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  21:21:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer to think of what happened at the Denver Airport as a "botched smiting."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/22/2008 01:58:58
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  22:05:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but their defense will be that the word "miracle" was the fireman's term, not their own. The headline is basically a quote: "Fireman says 'It is a miracle no one died on Denver runway.'"

Doctors, too, are somehow inordinately fond of the word. Common headlines include often include gems like "Patient's Recovery a 'Miracle' Doctor Says."

Of course, most of the time, I doubt the speaker ever means an actual miracle occurred. It's just an expression, but one that newsman know play well to the crowds. They must cream their pants whenever a surgeon or rescue worker utters the word, since they know they've just gotten their headline.

So editors will claim they aren't responsible for the use of the word "miracle" appearing in print, that they are just accurately reporting what was said, etc. But it's bullshit. They know exactly what they're doing. And they know we know, but they really don't care. They're just out to move newspapers.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  09:08:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I prefer to think of what happened at the Denver Airport as a "botched smiting."

Would that headline bring out the fundie letter-writers who claim to know their god's will?

To the editor:

HOW CAN YOU CALL IT A BOTCHED SMITING YOU &^*%$*# SATAN LOVER! GOD DOESN'T EVER MAKE A MISTAKE!! HE WILL SMITE YOU FOR ETERNITY!!!!

Yours in Christ,
I. M. Pious

I know that "miracle" gets used for "unexpected positive outcome" but gosh darn I want the journalist to exhibit some skeptical integrity (asking alot, I know). 200 people would say it was a near-disaster, and 1 says it's a miracle, and which one opens the article? ("Best" example, in a sick way, was the "miracle" when 12 miners were thought to be alive in WVa in 2006...then OOPS it turns out all but one was dead, in which case - oddly - the "miracle" talk suddenly vaporized.)

Guess I've been watching too much Olbermann, Maddow, and Stewart lately. I want to raise one eyebrow and say archly, "Really??? A miracle???"

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  10:29:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the press were drop their use of the word "miracle" for a more precise explanation of the unlikelihood of a good outcome in a case like the Denver crash, it would be a miracle.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  11:21:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

"Botched Smiting" LMAO

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  13:01:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zebra... You forgot something: Grammar error and misspelling. Otherwise you'd be misrepresenting I. M. Pious

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  20:37:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, heck. I can't even fake Christian ranting correctly. That's pretty sad.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.