Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Why do pious people do uncharitable things?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  04:40:44  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a little something to keep in mind whenever xians talk about how they are more charitable than atheists:

HACKENSACK, N.J. -- A Bergen County homeless shelter is homeless itself -- again.

The First Reformed Church of Hackensack dismissed the FAITH Foundation in a dispute over rules at its Christmas dinner for about 100 homeless people last week.

Church officials say they wanted a sermon and carols before dinner was fed. But shelter director Robin Reilly started serving food first, saying some patrons hadn't eaten for 24 hours.

Ms. Reilly says she'll try to find a new place to help the homeless. She's storing the group's supplies at another church for now.

It's not the first time the foundation has lost its home. Hackensack officials closed its previous building because it lacked permission to serve food there.

So far as I know, that doesn't happen with secular charities:

Oxfam International

The Nature Conservancy

Earth's Atheist Resistance To Holy Wars And Religious Devastation

Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation

Enough Project.org. They do have a religious affiliate on the side it seems, but the main site seems to be secular.

Atheist Volunteers

Works Without Faith

Generally though, secularists tend to just work with the charities that are already established instead of setting up their own; we don't feel the need to make a big deal about secularism in charity work as theists do about their religion when they set up their charities.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 01/06/2009 05:21:24

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  07:10:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's outrageous, but entirely in line with the reality of how many if most Christian churches place their petty rules for honoring their mythical god ahead of little things like mere human hunger. Why couldn't they have at least considered that the hungry patrons might be more willing and capable of praying once they had some food in their bellies?

I should know better, but, like someone suffering from amnesia, the meanness and evil practiced in the name of deities never fails to astound me.

That Hackensack church, presumably of the Reformed Church in America (formerly Dutch Reformed Church) denomination (assuming I have Googled correctly), is one of the oldest in America, having been built in 1696. Quite an attractive old building:

The Reformed Church is Calvinist, meaning (among other tenets) they believe only a very limited number of "elect" are pre-ordained to be saved. I can only guess their reasoning, but perhaps the Hackensack church's elders feel it unlikely that the hungry are among the elect?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/01/2009 07:12:05
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  08:47:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is indeed an attractive old building and obviously a well-maintained one. God must really like it and probably uses it as a vacation home. It's ever so much nicer than the sty his son was born in. Of course, it ain't a patch on his true home, the Vatican, where some 2000 years worth of wealth collection and bullshit reside with him.

Oddly enough, when I donate to charity it's usually through a local, Baptist church. Go figger.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  10:13:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an article about Robin Reilly and her work with the homeless. She's good people. The First Reformed Church of Hackensack should stand ashamed.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  01:32:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I decided to put this account of a woman leaving a disabled man in a bus so she could go to a church service in this thread, instead of making a new one.

Linda Hockaday, who had worked for Outstanding Transport, was charged with reckless endangerment. WCBS 2 reports that sources say "Hockaday admitted to knowing that Rivera was still on the bus when it was locked up on one of the coldest nights of the year. Her rationale for leaving? She apparently didn't want to be late for church." Apparently she thought someone else would notice Rivera! Only Hockaday was charged, and not the driver, because, as the bus matron, she is responsible for passenger safety.

Maybe every instance of this kind of neglect or charitable abuse should be put into this thread as well as any links to atheist/secular charities or similar groups? It'd make it easier to keep track of.

If the mods go for this idea then the thread title would have to be changed. Or should we just make a sepeerate thread for that?

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Edited by - the_ignored on 01/06/2009 01:35:52
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  04:43:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

I decided to put this account of a woman leaving a disabled man in a bus so she could go to a church service in this thread, instead of making a new one.

Linda Hockaday, who had worked for Outstanding Transport, was charged with reckless endangerment. WCBS 2 reports that sources say "Hockaday admitted to knowing that Rivera was still on the bus when it was locked up on one of the coldest nights of the year. Her rationale for leaving? She apparently didn't want to be late for church." Apparently she thought someone else would notice Rivera! Only Hockaday was charged, and not the driver, because, as the bus matron, she is responsible for passenger safety.

Maybe every instance of this kind of neglect or charitable abuse should be put into this thread as well as any links to atheist/secular charities or similar groups? It'd make it easier to keep track of.

If the mods go for this idea then the thread title would have to be changed. Or should we just make a sepeerate thread for that?
It's certainly fine by me. Your new instance is completely in line with the message of the original post. Why not change the OP's title now, and if the Mods or Admins object, they can correct you? As the original poster, you would seem authorized to change it, if editing the OP's not already locked. (Otherwise, this forum's Mod, or an Admin, will have to so so.)

I'd suggest a title something like, "Why do pious people do uncharitable things?"

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/06/2009 04:51:33
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  05:22:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by the_ignored

It's certainly fine by me. Your new instance is completely in line with the message of the original post. Why not change the OP's title now, and if the Mods or Admins object, they can correct you? As the original poster, you would seem authorized to change it, if editing the OP's not already locked. (Otherwise, this forum's Mod, or an Admin, will have to so so.)

I'd suggest a title something like, "Why do pious people do uncharitable things?"

Sounds good to me, thanks. I've already changed the title to what you suggested.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds.