Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  16:50:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Mooner, here's some more nose art ideas. Check the index...
http://www.90thbombgroup.org/noseart.htm
Thanks much, Randy. I can see how that nose art must have been a great help in maintaining morale in a profession so prone to sudden death.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  18:35:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/03/2009 18:55:16
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  19:16:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Thanks much, Randy. I can see how that nose art must have been a great help in maintaining morale in a profession so prone to sudden death.

Halfmooner!.....to paraphrase....I profess -- your 'New Fruit in Old Boxes' and other art has been a great help in maintaining morale around here in its own little way.
Keep up the good work!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  21:25:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Halfmooner!.....to paraphrase....I profess -- your 'New Fruit in Old Boxes' and other art has been a great help in maintaining morale around here in its own little way.
Keep up the good work!

Well, that I understand, and thanks. I've been going nuts myself trying to cheer myself up. These last four years haven't been my best. Luckily, humor seems to help me, too.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  21:31:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/04/2009 02:17:58
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  12:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are all great!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  17:28:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mooner, here's some more nose art ideas. Check the index...
http://www.90thbombgroup.org/noseart.htm
I'd thought the nose art idea would be fruitful, but I've look over all those and haven't had a single funny thought, except to appreciate their own humor.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  17:33:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

These are all great!
As someone who's disturbingly desperate for any feedback at all, thank you, thank you, thank you, Mab!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/04/2009 17:33:50
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  00:10:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

These are all great!

I agree too! Well done. You captured the graphic style and some of these labels boarder on the weirdness of authentic labels.

With airplane nose art, maybe more modern planes could have fake art that makes a political statement. (Some B 52s sport remnants of nose art or squadron emblems.) In reality, though I cannot find it now, years ago I saw an emblem on a twin engine search plane, possibly National Guard that was an image of a sneering Elvis with the slogan; "If he's out there, we'll find him!" - That reminds me of something you'd create.

By the way Mooner - I didn't realize Niels Bohr foreshadowed Yogi Berra!

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  02:03:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Chip. Much of any success I've had with these depends upon my collection of fonts, which I've been gathering for years. I have some which closely approximate, or are well-nigh identical to, those used on the produce crate labels, or on WPA publications and posters.

Look at what this font of font art genius has created, for instance.

These fonts really help to set a period feeling. Aside from the slow, boring work of clearing space on the originals for my changes, I probably spend more time than any other part of this in looking for the right fonts -- every one of which I've gotten for free. There are many talented amateur font designers out there, thankfully.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/05/2009 02:13:40
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  02:45:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa
...an image of a sneering Elvis with the slogan; "If he's out there, we'll find him!"

LMFAO!

That's my sense of humour!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  18:44:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

With a citrus brand like "Have One," this scene with James Cagney and Mae Clark in "The Public Enemy" naturally came to mind.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/05/2009 19:44:41
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  20:33:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks for linking to Zapato. I have a graphic artist friend who uses some of these.

I used similar nostalgic fonts in some wordy wine tasting posters I had to create:
http://www.artoflatraille.com/commercial.html

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  21:38:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

Thanks for linking to Zapato. I have a graphic artist friend who uses some of these.

I used similar nostalgic fonts in some wordy wine tasting posters I had to create:
http://www.artoflatraille.com/commercial.html
Nice work on those posters! Are you the artist who did all that remarkable work, including those aviation paintings?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  00:11:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My dad actually saw this done during the Depression. He's still pissed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.