Dembski is writing a book, heigh-ho!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  04:06:15  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And he has found himself a reference, heigh-ho!
I'm finishing a book on theodicy (titled THE END OF CHRISTIANITY) and, in trying to track down for it whether certain celebrities are atheists, found this site:
And it's a highly informative reference indeed, although I fail to see that the atheism of some celebrities have to do with ID. Comes to that, judging from the title of this prospective tome, what it has to do with anything, either.

I think maybe I should'a put this in Humor.

Anyway, it's quite an interesting site and worth a look. I mean, who knew?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  06:03:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Writing a book about IDiocy, is he? He'll probably arrange for the publication of the atheists' phone numbers and addresses next.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  07:13:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Well, I am now a bigger fan of Jodie Foster than I use to be.
I'm finishing a book on theodicy (titled THE END OF CHRISTIANITY) and, in trying to track down for it whether certain celebrities are atheists, found this site:
Personally, I find Bill's working title quite hopeful.

edited: spelling.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 01/14/2009 07:14:33
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  07:26:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Personally, I find Bill's working title quite hopeful.

edited: spelling.
Yeh, I did too, at first. But now I believe it's an attempt at sarcasm.

On the other hand, statistically church attendance is down and non-believers are all but coming out of the woodwork. Maybe it's fear. Hope so.

River Otter tells me that her atheist group is having Carl Zimmer to lecture on Darwin day at the Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh. I'm hoping to attend that.

Edit: Wow, talk about creative spelling....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/14/2009 08:32:43
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  08:19:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

River Otter tells me that her atheist group is having Carl Zimmer to lecture on Darwin day at the Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh. I'm hoping to attend that.
On February 12th I expect to be in Columbia, SC the only Darwin Day event there, that I can find, is a debate between Dan Barker and Kyle Butt. A debate about whether God exists. I'd bet that the Carl Zimmer lecture will be more interesting.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  08:37:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And this is from the guy who recently said that his blog was going to be all about ID and not religion and politics. Go figure...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  08:55:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what JJ Sherwood has to say about the book:
The End Of Christianity by William Dembski is scheduled for release in October. “Theodicy attempts to resolve how a good God and evil world can coexist. The neo-atheist view in this debate has dominated recent bestseller lists through books like The God Delusion (Richard Dawkins), God Is Not Great (Christopher Hitchens), and The End of Faith (Samuel Harris). And their popularity illuminates a changing mental environment wherein people are asking harder questions about divine goodness. Surprisingly, these books please intelligent design champion William Dembski, because ‘They would be unnecessary if Christianity were not again a live issue.' Here, Dembski brings the reader to a fresh understanding of what “the end (result) of Christianity” really means: the radical realignment of our thinking so that we see God's goodness in creation despite the distorting effects of sin in our hearts and evil in the world.” I am very interested to see how one of the leading proponents of intelligent design attacks the issue of theodicy in light of the neo-atheists.
Nevermind that the atheists books would still have been written if Christianity didn't exist. Of course, nobody claims that Dembski is not arrogant about his religion.

By the way, there's no telling where Sherwood got that quote from. Google only has his website as a result for key phrases within the quote.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  09:53:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know weasels could write.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:00:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote

[quote]

How about Barry Manalow? (I've been a closet Manalow fan for quite a while. Is it time to come out?)

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Edited by - leoofno on 01/14/2009 10:02:02
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:07:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by leoofno

[quote]

How about Barry Manalow? (I've been a closet Manalow fan for quite a while. Is it time to come out?)
Well, now you've done it!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:12:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by leoofno

[quote]

Well, now you've done it!!!

I don't mean here. I mean in the REAL world.
You guys (and the few gals) are too understanding and open minded to be a problem in that regard.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.