Our world may be a giant hologram
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  14:12:43  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Serendipity in science rears its inquisitive head....bothersome background noise in a gravitational wave detector may turn out to be a fingerprint of the fundamental limit of space-time.

"If this doesn't blow your socks off, then Hogan, who has just been appointed director of Fermilab's Center for Particle Astrophysics, has an even bigger shock in store: "If the GEO600 result is what I suspect it is, then we are all living in a giant cosmic hologram."

Read on....

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126911.300-our-world-may-be-a-giant-hologram.html?page=1

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  14:33:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though largely beyond my comprehension, this stuff's mindblowing to me. My only consulation is how screwed up the Creationist commentary about a holographic universe is going to be. I mean, what happens when you detonate a brain that's already fully blown?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/15/2009 14:34:13
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  15:29:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
I mean, what happens when you detonate a brain that's already fully blown?
They explode into an expanding mass of space and time, thus creating a new universe.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  15:35:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay.

That means that...

our whole solar system...

could be, like...

one tiny atom in the fingernail
of some other giant being.

This is too much!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  15:43:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Originally posted by HalfMooner
I mean, what happens when you detonate a brain that's already fully blown?
They explode into an expanding mass of space and time, thus creating a new universe.

Every time a creationist's fully-blown brain blows, a new universe gets its wings.
Ah, It's A Wonderful Life.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  15:58:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Virginia, you are a speck on a speck!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  16:49:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, do I have either of the following right?:

1. First, the "holographic principle" is presently an idea without firm evidence, and barely rises to the level of a scientific hypothesis, let alone a theory.

2. If the holographic principle is correct, the physical micro-universe we know would be merely a holographic projection of the Planck-scale surface "pixels" coating the surface of the expanding outer shell of the universe.

Holy Plato, Batman!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/15/2009 17:01:27
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  16:55:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

This is too much!
Duuude... have you ever looked at your hand? I mean, really looked at it?

"They call 'em 'fingers' but I've never seen 'em fing." - Otto

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  06:46:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quotes from Animal House?

After the most-of-the-universe-is-undetectable-dark-matter-and-energy thing which, incidentally, is causing universal expansion to accelerate, well, I'm open to strangeness. This is cool. I really really want to get down to the basic secrets of existance so that we can jetison our myths for something more substantial. That'll happen, right? When the hologram is exposed and it's underlying causes dragged into human discourse, all the nut jobs will stop the madness. Right?

Did anyone catch the recent evidence that the galactic blackholes came first and the galaxies formed around them? The opposite had been assumed and come to find out, probably not. Pretty cool. I almost posted it but I'm way too friggin' busy at work.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  06:49:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Nah, the Simpsons.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  07:22:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Nah, the Simpsons.

Mine was from Animal House.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  07:29:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's more likely to be a hologram within a hologram.

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  09:00:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Originally posted by Dave W.

Nah, the Simpsons.

Mine was from Animal House.
Thought so. The scene with Donald Sutherland, the professor who seduces one of the students' girlfriend, smoking pot with students...

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.