Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  07:48:07  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...was the temperature on my drive into work this morning in my little corner of N. Indiana. Where the he!! has all this global warming gone off too just when you need it the most?!?!? A local South Bend station has reported a Polar bear sighting on the Indiana/Michigan line. Cool stuff...

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  08:11:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had ice and snow the past week in the Netherlands. Which meant snow fights and a possibility to go ice skating. Good times.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  08:29:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a life long resident of N. Indiana I am used to this stuff. I love living in a climate with four full seasons. And I enjoy the winter months every bit as much as the summer ones. The winter is the best time for hiking in the woods and along the river. No bugs of any kind, the brush is usually beat down and the river and it's banks never look as beautiful as they do after a good snow fall. Took the dog for about an hour walk yesterday (it was -9 ambient at the time so not too cold) along the river and got to see what I think was a Great Horned Owl swoop down out of a tree and then take off to the other side of the river. If it wasn't a GH owl then it was some other kind of mammoth owl then. Good times for sure!

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  09:19:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80

We had ice and snow the past week in the Netherlands. Which meant snow fights and a possibility to go ice skating. Good times.

Do the canals still freeze over in winter? Will you be able to produce any more world-class skaters?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  10:09:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

Originally posted by tomk80

Do the canals still freeze over in winter? Will you be able to produce any more world-class skaters?

Well, we still have ice skating rinks

Unfortunately, the canals hardly ever freeze over nowadays. When I look back with nostalgia to the late 1980's, early 1990's we'd have a proper winter every year. Now, it has been years since you could skate on natural ice and still the larger canals and rivers weren't properly frozen.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  10:11:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

As a life long resident of N. Indiana I am used to this stuff. I love living in a climate with four full seasons. And I enjoy the winter months every bit as much as the summer ones. The winter is the best time for hiking in the woods and along the river. No bugs of any kind, the brush is usually beat down and the river and it's banks never look as beautiful as they do after a good snow fall. Took the dog for about an hour walk yesterday (it was -9 ambient at the time so not too cold) along the river and got to see what I think was a Great Horned Owl swoop down out of a tree and then take off to the other side of the river. If it wasn't a GH owl then it was some other kind of mammoth owl then. Good times for sure!

Sounds good. Owls aren't that plentiful in the Netherlands, but I've encountered a few when I still lived in the Southern part, closer to the countryside. Having one fly over you in the dark is pure magic in my opinion.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  17:30:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
was the temperature on my drive into work this morning in my little corner of N. Indiana. Where the he!! has all this global warming gone off too just when you need it the most?!?!?

Lets look at some other temps from today:

Anchorage AK 45F

Fairbanks AK 47F

Denver CO 53F

The term is NOT northern Indiana warming it is Global Warming...

PS it was freaking -14F here. How about some Upstate NY Warming!!!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  17:45:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you're right, its too cold. Man, it barely broke fifty degrees down the bayou, today. I nearly froze my cul off!

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  19:08:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been in the 60's here in California's Bay Area. So cold, you nearly need a sweater if you dare venture out. We've had snow at times here in the past, but not even rain for weeks this year.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  19:24:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh crap. Yeah, it dropped into the fifties last night after a high of 75. I had to put on a sweatshirt last night!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  19:36:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cold front has hit here in the Austin, Texas area meaning I'll now have to put on socks with my flip-flops.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  06:32:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been right snappy here in northern NC the last couple of nights -- 8 and 3 F degrees above, respectively. Makes me almost a little nostalgic for Vermont, where those temps are no big deal. It's when the oil in your pickup's crankcase jells into something resembling a cheap grade of asphalt that they start worrying.

Bill, we've been through this before. A local, or even wide, extra cold-snap, or a warm one, means nothing. It's the change in the aggregate world temperature over time that has significance.

Anyhow, hoping that everyone is doing ok in this savage weather, especially y'all LA and CA and TX guys, who really have it tough.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/17/2009 06:34:19
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  06:54:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be getting back up to 15 degrees today, nice to see the MMGW coming back with a vengeance. Now when are those darn ice caps going to melt? I am really looking forward to watching Florida sink into the gulf. Good times.

Long live the polar bears.

Edited by - Bill scott on 01/17/2009 07:08:34
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  07:18:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

It will be getting back up to 15 degrees today, nice to see the MMGW coming back with a vengeance. Now when are those darn ice caps going to melt? I am really looking forward to watching Florida sink into the gulf. Good times.

Long live the polar bears.
Right before your very eyes, Bill. Right before your very eyes. Agree on the bears. Also Florida.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

River Otter
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  07:40:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send River Otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Northern Vermont, 15 degrees below zero yesterday morning & 29 Below zero a few nights ago. My friend is loving it in his shatey on the ice. Catching lots of Walleye & Northern Pike.

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know. -Cicero

Brother, You say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agree, as you can all read the book. -Sagoyewatha,(Red Jacket) - Chief and great orator of the six nations.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  08:07:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is funny how some people think that global warming will eliminate winter.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds.