Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  20:59:08  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  21:18:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't jinx it, filthy. The bastard's got anywhere from 12 hours and 10 minutes to 12:40 to declare martial law and ream us all real good!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  23:01:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just amazed -- and so far delighted -- that he hasn't pardoned himself. Whether or not he does, in a few hours you all won't have to listen to me making a prediction that he will.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  05:03:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Don't jinx it, filthy. The bastard's got anywhere from 12 hours and 10 minutes to 12:40 to declare martial law and ream us all real good!
I don't think that even Bush is that stupid. There would be riots all across the country and the throng currently in DC for the inauguration would likely try to lynch his sorry ass. Indeed, I'd borrow some gas money from my son-in-law and drive up to join that throng.

Slightly over 5 hours left.....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  05:40:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of us argentinans will be celebrating big time today!

Congratulations my american brothers and sisters!

nico
perro de tokio

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

River Otter
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  06:41:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send River Otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you all think that he will be charged with war crimes, crimes against humanity, and the debt that he is leaving this country in?

He should be! We need to show the world we are a fair and just nation. And send a message to our future leaders that we will hold our politicians accountable for their corrupted actions.

George W. Bush is a criminal on many different levels! Quite far, the worst president in history.

Good riddance George W. Bush .

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know. -Cicero

Brother, You say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agree, as you can all read the book. -Sagoyewatha,(Red Jacket) - Chief and great orator of the six nations.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  08:05:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He will most probably not be.

In fact, I am not sure you can prove any wrong-doing. The official stance, for example for the war in Iraq, being that he took a legitimate decision, based on faulty evidence.
Also, I don't know about the US, but in France, officials get judicial immunity. This immunity can get lifted by the parliament if need be, but it is cumbersome. The idea is not to provoke a constitutional crisis every other week when a politician is proved corrupt.
I don't know how it works in the US.

Also, I don't think Obama has any interest in starting a congress investigation, you can be sure it will be decried as a partisan slander by the right.

At any rate, he still has several hours. Hell, can't he leave the signed memo on his desk to be found by the custodian personal?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  08:32:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by River Otter

Do you all think that he will be charged with war crimes, crimes against humanity, and the debt that he is leaving this country in?

He should be! We need to show the world we are a fair and just nation. And send a message to our future leaders that we will hold our politicians accountable for their corrupted actions.

George W. Bush is a criminal on many different levels! Quite far, the worst president in history.

Good riddance George W. Bush .

If American prosecutors don't prosecute him, then foreign ones might try to prosecute him. That might prove to be an embarrassment to the U.S.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  08:49:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little over two hours from now, Bush will be gone, but not forgotten. If only we could undue the harm he had done in an instant. But no...

I will now focus on Obama's inauguration and maybe party a bit.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  08:58:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

A little over two hours from now, Bush will be gone, but not forgotten. If only we could undue the harm he had done in an instant. But no...

The harm he and his predecessors, and Obabma's advisors, have done.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  09:01:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost gone, now.

I think there will be prosecutions, but Bush and Cheney, and the major players in the administration like Rumsfeld, will slither walk away unscathed. Pity.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  10:05:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HE IS GONE!!

I've been watching the coverage since 5 AM, one hell of a lot more tv than any mortal man should be asked to put up with.

I've been drinking cheap whiskey since 9:30.

I'm going to go close my eyes; I feel a lot better, now.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  11:20:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Chief Justice Roberts moved the adverb "faithfully" in the Oath of Office. Did he do it on purpose, to trip Obama up?

Oath of Office in the Constitution:
I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
Oath as attempted by Roberts:
I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States faithfully, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  11:29:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simon said:
Also, I don't know about the US, but in France, officials get judicial immunity.

You can't sue the president, and the only court he answers to (while president) is the Congress.

But... He is no longer president. He is open to prosecution for crimes he commited while president under the normal judicial system.

He admitted he commited war crimes on national television... So did Cheney. As far as I'm concerned that should be enough to fully investigate them for war crimes and prosecute them if a real investigation reveals what they have basically confessed.

The Bush admin official in charge of GITMO prosecutions (Bush's appointed person, a lifelong republican) has determined that we TORTURED people at GITMO.

The US has put people to death for waterboarding our soldiers. It is a war crime that carries the death penalty.

Obama needs to appoint a special investigator, find all the people involved, and deal with them appropriately.

I don't think he will, but he should. Damn the fucking assholes at fauxnews who would criticize such an investigation, just let them continue to marginalize themselves by publicly advocating war crimes.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  11:31:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, here's PZ Myers take on it...from the American Humanists Association.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  14:30:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Originally posted by Kil

The harm he and his predecessors, and Obabma's advisors, have done.
Can I enjoy just one fucking day?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.