Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  22:36:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Davan's take on the inauguration:

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp01202009.shtml

I had much the same reaction to the poem, only instead of getting all pissed off about it I just stopped watching and made myself a cup of coffee.

I didn't watch much more than the actual swearing in, but Obama did an excellent speech even if he did stumble over the actual oath of office. :)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  23:04:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He didn't stumble. Roberts did.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  02:28:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Obama quote - "We will restore science to its rightful place,..." When I heard that I leapt from my chair, pumped my fist, and let out a WHOOP that might have disturbed the entire neighbourhood.

I thought that was great too, and he also acknowledged the equality of people without a religion among the religions.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  04:41:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude, don't lose all of your cynicism. The down side of the coin is the purveyors of self-serving crap such as this one, whom we can expect to see crawling out of the figurative woodwork like blue-bottle maggots from a rotting carcass.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pray Obama fails

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: January 19, 2009
1:00 am Eastern

© 2009

Many American Christians believe, as an article of faith, that we are to pray for the success of our leaders.

It has become a sort of conventional wisdom among soft-minded believers. The biblical proof-text for this misguided way of thinking is Romans 13:1-4:

"Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

"Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

"For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

"For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

What could be more clear-cut? At face value, it would seem the Bible is telling us government is a God-ordained good and that we are not to resist its terrors.

Many a coward has been bolstered in his conviction against challenging tyranny by not reading too deeply into the Scriptures. Yet, nowhere does the Bible ever suggest evil rulers are to be obeyed. When the rule of men conflicts with the commands of God, the Bible leaves no doubt about where we should stand.
I'm really not sure what this wanker's point is. But then he's "writing" for WorldNetDaily, so I suppose he doesn't need one.

Anyhow, I think that we can expect to see a lot of this sort of thing. But I wonder, might this noise machine find itself marginalized as Obama's success' grow? A lot of people are good and tired of bullshit, both from the government and the pulpit.

Have to wait & see, I guess.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/21/2009 04:43:57
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  06:41:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watching the coverage on CNN I heard them say that it was the first time that a new president had gone right to the helicopter to see off the outgoing president. Good move Mr. Obama, I would want to make sure the bastard is out of town too. It's like going to someone's funeral to ensure that the dirt is tamped down tightly.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  09:44:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The photos of the fundy nuts' (and I mean certifiably insane) signs and lettered clothing are here. Fascinating that they include "sports nuts" and even "good people" in their list of evildoers.

"Know your Bible". Heck, I figured the front of his shirt would say, "and the locations of all you can eat buffets".

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  10:08:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Dude, don't lose all of your cynicism. The down side of the coin is the purveyors of self-serving crap such as this one, whom we can expect to see crawling out of the figurative woodwork like blue-bottle maggots from a rotting carcass.
And from the most vile of the purveyors of self-serving crap "I hope Obama fails."

Sorry Rush, but there are too many rational folks out here who hope for success. This fat fuck needs a stroke that impeds his ability to spew hate.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  11:42:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Originally posted by filthy

And from the most vile of the purveyors of self-serving crap "I hope Obama fails."

Sorry Rush, but there are too many rational folks out here who hope for success. This fat fuck needs a stroke that impeds his ability to spew hate.

Ha! What would it mean of Obama's presidency is a success? What would it mean if he leaves the country much better off then when he took his oath of office? What would it mean if we were once again respected by the rest of the world? What would it mean if he leaves us with a thriving economy?

It would mean that Rush was wrong. Apparently, all Rush cares about is himself. He couldn't give a rats ass about the country, and he proved that when he said "I hope Obama fails". What a rotting pile narcissistic garbage he is.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  12:20:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Obama's Speech yesterday:
our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

Sounds good but is it true? Doesn't our security eminate from our economy, military and the peoples will? Just because we have a just cause, set a good example and are restrained in our responses does not make our country secure. Ideology does not make us secure.

Another:

and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you.

Not smart to say since he condones killing innocents before they can be born.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  12:58:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

That is a stupid thing to say.
He is, obviously, referring to innocent human beings and he, like the majority of the American public, does not consider foetus as such. In fact, if he changed his mind, he would most certainly start considering abortion as murder and start condemning them.

I find it clear that you realize that and are just being disingenuous.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  13:01:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good but is it true? Doesn't our security eminate from our economy, military and the peoples will? Just because we have a just cause, set a good example and are restrained in our responses does not make our country secure. Ideology does not make us secure.
Exactly right! Well said!

But no, I am not going to get into an endless and pointless abortion argument with you. Sorry, maybe next time.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  13:25:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  14:27:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

That is a stupid thing to say.
He is, obviously, referring to innocent human beings and he, like the majority of the American public, does not consider foetus as such. In fact, if he changed his mind, he would most certainly start considering abortion as murder and start condemning them.

I find it clear that you realize that and are just being disingenuous.
I know.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  14:35:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then, please, don't engage in such trollish behaviour. It's useless and won't convince anybody and I know from past interactions that you are smart enough to actually enrich the fora rather than disrupt them...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  15:10:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
kil said:
Ha! What would it mean of Obama's presidency is a success? What would it mean if he leaves the country much better off then when he took his oath of office? What would it mean if we were once again respected by the rest of the world? What would it mean if he leaves us with a thriving economy?

Even if he does all that and more there will be ~22% of the country who will hate him anyway and another 22% who will vote against him anyway.

What he needs to work on doing is convincing that voting block they are wrong on issues, have been mislead/lied to by the conservapundits and talk radio, and get them to moderate their positions on the wedge issues.

But how do you do such a thing? How do you convince Robb that he is wrong, fundamentally wrong, on abortion? I mean, the practice was accepted and widely used for centuries. Herbally before medicinally. It was not frowned upon by any church, and after Roe V Wade in the 70s the Southern Baptist Convention was content with the court's ruling. (They picked up abortion as a highly emotional wedge issue only after Carter forced them to let non-white people attend their private schools). With ALL THAT and more, people like Robb STILL refuse to admit they are wrong on this issue.

The only way we are going to move forward and deal with the real issues facing us (energy, environment, human rights, etc) is if we can convince a fair percentage of Robb's people that they are mistaken.

A task beyond my ability as long as they remain immune to facts, logic, and reality.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds.